Fear the Walking Dead: Our hopes and dreams for the Series. (Now Spoiler Friendly).

Alia of the knife

Hypothetical question, does Nick make it, (if he survives heroin withdrawal), and if he did, who of Ricks group would he be most like?

I see a lot of repudiation of civilization in Kirkmans work - either the best or worst is brought out absent civilization, or you don't make it at all.

I think that these shows are definitely man on the street shows versus Contagion or Hot Zone type shows which are about the pandemics and trying to figure out the causes and achieve a positive resolution. So yes, we are doing it all again. I for one prefer that to a show about scientists.

Hypothetical question, does Nick make it, (if he survives heroin withdrawal), and if he did, who of Ricks group would he be most like?

I see a lot of repudiation of civilization in Kirkmans work - either the best or worst is brought out absent civilization, or you don't make it at all.

He wouldn't die from Heroin withdrawal. I'd guess that once he's been forcefully clean for a bit he will find some drugs on a forage and face some turmoil!

I can't wait to see what happens.

There is going to be military interaction and it will be interesting to see pandemic on the scale of thr greater LA area with a pop around 18 million, Georgia the state only has a population of 10 million.

It's a much different scenario.

Also every show is baaically about characters leveling up the diferencr here is that none of these characters show any firearm aptitude.

Then again I've always been a fan of watching how someone depicts the fall of society

I for one enjoyed the first episode and I am definitely on board for the season so far. Things would have to take a major turn for the worse for me to be put off. I feel like the show will be all about urban survival as a major distinction from the original series.

I can't see the series going beyond season 1 without more or less catching up to the original series season 1 approximate timeline. Season one of the original series can't start, in earnest, more than a few months after the total breakdown in social order. Probably not more than a month, if the well mown grass of the park where Rick shoots his first zombie is anything to go by. That grass must have been mown right before all hell broke loose. The only thing we don't know from the original series is the time between when the episode one starts in a normal world and then blinks forward to the zombie apocalypse world. But we do know that the time between when society has completely broken down and when we blink back into the world can't be very long.

I liked the show and will be watching every Sunday. Regardless of reviews, I'm sure AMC will renew it. TWD is their content flagship these days and I think they want more than 16 episodes, which is where FTWD comes in. But if it drags and doesn't excite people, I can see them pivoting for season 2, maybe racing forward a few months, maybe bringing in some new characters.

I would love it if they eventually aired the two series simultaneously. Why can't we have the Walking Dead on say a Sunday, and Fear the Walking Dead on a Thursday, or something like that. The 7 day wait between episodes is one of the worst parts of watching a gripping series.

I got introduced to the Walking Dead late, and pretty much binge watched the first three Seasons over the course of about a month. I found that far more enjoyable than getting a brief hour a week, before having to wait another 7 days for another brief hour, during which you end up angry at every wasted minute of substandard content (according to your own unique definition of what is worthy of getting screentime), because you know that leaves you with one fewer minute before the episode is over for another whole week.

In short, give us two Walking Dead series at the same time, then we can tune in twice a week for all new episodes. Has such a concept been tried before by any series?

I'm excited at the prospect of watching new scenarios of people reacting to zombies and complete societal breakdown for the first time.  Panicked, desperate flight, hasty blockades, dashes for food and weapons, etc.  Also intriguing would be establishing fortified shelters with sensible, realistic protocols for security and safety inside and out.  Fallback positions, escape routes, lookouts, tactics for distracting or leading walkers away, signaling systems among group members; all clear, help! etc.  I was disapointed when tWD sort of touched on some of these things at the prison but then dropped it altogether.  

The zombie apocalypse, for me, is about idly casing Home Depots, or banks and churches, for their viability as ZA fortifications/supply sources.  Or judging whether I could scramble up a construction scaffold fast enough to escape a shambling horde.  So I like to see some of those sensibilities in the show.  

Also, more shotgun head-shots, please. 

In short, give us two Walking Dead series at the same time, then we can tune in twice a week for all new episodes. Has such a concept been tried before by any series?

Pretty sure CSI and Law & Order have multiple iterations airing concurrently.

I enjoyed the first episode. I love the two main characters, and have always enjoyed seeing their work in other stuff. I think some of us are forgetting that the main cast of WD was made up of a lot of weaklings in the beginning. The whole point of Carol and Maggie's, and Michonne's character arcs is to see these women go from weak to bad-ass, and I loved seeing Carol and Maggie's transformation. With Michonne, we get the backstory, but man, that was so cool seeing them transform into warriors. I don't know if FtWD will take us in a similar direction or not, but I suspect that's where we're going.

I loved Lady O's point about the LA traffic. When I watched that tunnel scene, I thought that there were way too few cars to be L.A. My limited experience with freeways in L.A. is that there are a gagillion cars out and about 24/7. But I'm not going to quibble about it.

Regarding Nick and his drug addled self, I think we'll either see him get clean and redeem himself, or he will stay a junkie and die a horrible death.

There was some article recently that compared the new cast to their closest counterparts in the original show.

I think the druggie son was compared to Shane - meaning he is streetwise and gets things done when the shit hits the fan. So I expect he is going to kick his drug habit - not to mention that supply is probably going to dry up fast in any case, so no real choice in the matter for him.

I think the wife was compared to Rick and the husband to Dale the philosopher.

The daughter was...I think Maggie...but I could be mistaken.

Then they also went and compared some of the extended family who we have only glimpsed so far. The ex wife was Merle, apparently, and the other son was similar to Carl.

That gives me a nice way to pigeonhole them going forward.

Ah yes, of course, those crime investigative shows do seem to be on every second day, don't they.

So the model has been tried and tested. Wonder if the Walking dead will follow the same route.

They're very self contained though. I guess the risk is casual viewer confusing the two, like the people who watch GoT and don't know who half the characters are.

I liked the first episode. I thought the Elizabeth Shue look-alike was good. Stannis' son has a lock on junkies between this and sense8.

I actually look forward to watching society slowly break down. I liked how the one major incident can be chalked up to the bath salts that Alia was referring to. It'll be interesting to see exactly when the panic really sets in and society starts to break down.

I'm looking forward to the next ep.

Did you guys see that they're doing a half hour special with zombies on a plane during the time of FtWD? It's going to air in parts online and in commercial breaks during TWD and 1 of the survivors will join th cast in season 2.

http://www.latino-review.com/news/the-walking-dead-zombies-on-a-plane-headed-to-amc

Sooo, a DJ on the Lithium station was talking about how all the clues of how the virus started are there, and he made two specific references, one having to do with Gloria, Nicks girlfriend, but wouldn't divulge the other.

Thoughts?

I'll have to go back and rewatch it because that went totally over my head. It would be interesting if they did put it in there though.

Sooo, a DJ on the Lithium station was talking about how all the clues of how the virus started are there, and he made two specific references, one having to do with Gloria, Nicks girlfriend, but wouldn't divulge the other.

Thoughts?

I have heard the Gloria is patient zero theory also, but I readily dismiss it. Tobias, the kid with the knife in school has been following reports from five different states about a mysterious virus, and he knows he has to arm himself. This tells me that Gloria could not have been the first to turn as the virus would have spread out from LA. 

Archived