Fear the Walking Dead: Our hopes and dreams for the Series. (Now Spoiler Friendly).

Alia of the knife

I know it hasn't started yet, but what are people looking for as we go to the origin story of our intrepid Walkers?

Of course I am hoping the outbreak will be explained and if it was a "natural" as-of-yet undiscovered virus, or an experiment gone bad. I am also curious to see how brutally honest they will be in the fall of civilization.

I know it hasn't started yet, but what are people looking for as we go to the origin story of our intrepid Walkers?

Of course I am hoping the outbreak will be explained and if it was a "natural" as-of-yet undiscovered virus, or an experiment gone bad. I am also curious to see how brutally honest they will be in the fall of civilization.

I am looking forward to the different perspective it will offer. I don't expect much because TWD is a guilty pleasure for me. Hopefully, it will be a fun watch.

I was reading a write-up of it on ign on the weekend (and kind of expected the OP te reference it). But anyway... the article said one thing we won't be getting is an explanation of what caused the outbreak. They did say they intend it to take their time with it. We won't be getting beyond the early stages of the outbreak any time soon (like not in season 1 and potentially not in season 2, either).

I'm hoping the show will be a bridge of healing between the [spoilers] and [comic spoilers] threads. It's not often I'm accused of being a naive optimist :P

If they really do explain how the zombie plague occurred (and from the casting I don't see any evidence that this won't be anything more than "people who don't have a clue seeing it happen") - I hope it's not too government conspiracy oriented. I find it far more disturbing if it's simply something that happens and is too overwhelming to deal with.

Besides the zombies themselves I'd like to see a decent attempt at showing a systems collapse. At least within America, although I'd love for there to be some recognition that this planet consists of far more people than merely North America.

It would be interesting to watch an exponential spread of a zombie virus from a patient zero.  Though from what we know of how it works 

[spoiler]everybody has it[/spoiler] I don't see that happening.  Also, it would be hard to track a global outbreak from the pov of a few characters in L.A.

I hope they can at least do a good/believable job with showing how slow moving walkers can overwhelm a city/country/world.

It would be interesting to watch an exponential spread of a zombie virus from a patient zero.  Though from what we know of how it works 

[spoiler]everybody has it[/spoiler] I don't see that happening.  Also, it would be hard to track a global outbreak from the pov of a few characters in L.A.

I hope they can at least do a good/believable job with showing how slow moving walkers can overwhelm a city/country/world.

[spoiler] I guess that's only true until someone dies who doesn't come back - almost impossible in a society where they killkill to ensure you can't come back. It's a useless form of resistance if all that happens is you stay dead, once dead. Although always handy if you want to find a way of stopping it long term. I wonder if anyone has died post-outbreak who was born after the apocalypse? Is the "infection" still there? [/spoiler]

Thinking about it I would like to see an "evil" science team trying to answer these questions or even some amateur scientists having a go in the show.

I am looking forward to this show, just for some back story. I do have a question though. In Season 1 of TWD isn't Rick in the hospital for only a few weeks? They had no word at all IIRC before he was shot, and then within a few weeks the world was done. So with that said, how long could Fear-TWD drag this out before showing walkers and such?

If anyone has a timeline that would be nice to see. I don't expect them to follow along perfectly, but just close enough to be believable.  

I am looking forward to this show, just for some back story. I do have a question though. In Season 1 of TWD isn't Rick in the hospital for only a few weeks? They had no word at all IIRC before he was shot, and then within a few weeks the world was done. So with that said, how long could Fear-TWD drag this out before showing walkers and such?

If anyone has a timeline that would be nice to see. I don't expect them to follow along perfectly, but just close enough to be believable.  

I imagine Rick was probably out for 28 days :P

For it to spread so quickly you'd think it would have to be combined with a virus. Maybe the Z-virus as super infective and those who died became Zombies.

Guess we'll know in a few weeks.

I'm hoping the show will be a bridge of healing between the [spoilers] and [comic spoilers] threads. It's not often I'm accused of being a naive optimist :P

If they really do explain how the zombie plague occurred (and from the casting I don't see any evidence that this won't be anything more than "people who don't have a clue seeing it happen") - I hope it's not too government conspiracy oriented. I find it far more disturbing if it's simply something that happens and is too overwhelming to deal with.

Besides the zombies themselves I'd like to see a decent attempt at showing a systems collapse. At least within America, although I'd love for there to be some recognition that this planet consists of far more people than merely North America.

As a non-spoiler thread dweller, apart from a couple of incidents of people spoiling stuff, is there really much of a rift?

As for explanations of the slower pace of this... maybe it started on the East coast, so spread slower on the West? :dunno: Bit hard to explain as you'd think it's spread quicker in an urban environment, than a more rural one (as most of tWD is.)

Expectations for the show: good, I like the slower pace idea, but could be tricky, there's a reason most zombie media jumps in with things already well underway. And because I love me some stereotypes, I'd like to see some of the gangs try to fill the power vaccum.

Ok. So if he was out for 28 days...i guess the power went out near the end? Otherwise no food or liquids for a long while.

Just a reference to the film. Rick should be dead if he's been out of it that long.

It's funny, but I'm looking forward to zombies being a threat again. In WD, our heroes are now veterans of the zombie apocalypse, so it's not unexpected for them to wade into a horde and take them all out with a knife. Back in the first few seasons, they were more of a threat.

Not that I want the WD to increase the level of zombies just for story reason. That show is focusing on the human threat within the apocalypse. FtWD is a nice way to bring that fear of the undead back.

I was reading a write-up of it on ign on the weekend (and kind of expected the OP te reference it). But anyway... the article said one thing we won't be getting is an explanation of what caused the outbreak. They did say they intend it to take their time with it. We won't be getting beyond the early stages of the outbreak any time soon (like not in season 1 and potentially not in season 2, either).

Thanks for that, I didn't see any recent write-ups, but that is interesting that they plan to extend that part of the story.

Do I remember correctly from TWD that Rick was out for something like 3 to 6 months?  

I am really looking forward to this show - it looks like a lot of it is going to take place in So. Cal.  Seeing zombies wandering around there is going to be awesome.  And I think seeing the initial first wave of chaos is going to be fun.

A couple of things, did we ever know for sure if Rick hadn't died? I mean when Shane came back, (and Shane was a cop who would be trained in life and death scenarios, especially recognition), he certainly acted like Rick had died or was on the verge of it.

If he did, but didn't turn, that would have some interesting implications on the DNA of people who survive such.

Its sort of like the people who actually survived the plague because not everyone did catch it, or perish from it. The History channel did a segment on them a couple of years ago.

Also, they did say these zombies would be different, more frightening because of their look and agility. Any ideas?

And kudos to the son of "Stannis," Frank Dillane. Maybe he can get dad a job if Brienne didn't finish him off. :P

As a non-spoiler thread dweller, apart from a couple of incidents of people spoiling stuff, is there really much of a rift?

Just a reference to the film. Rick should be dead if he's been out of it that long.

Yeah, just a film reference. It does seem to have gone to hell, everywhere pretty quickly so they probably do need to come up with a half decent explanation. I mean, they could cheat and claim there were news stories of zombies in So Cal before Rick gets coma'd but then it shouldn't be as much of a shock to him.

The spoiler thing usually happened once a season but I quit the non comic spoiler thread  during season 4 when the spoiler-phobes said myself and others weren't allowed/supposed to speculate on what happens in the show because making predictions (that weren't even based on the comics) were polluted by our knowledge of the comics and therefore potential spoilers. I can see where they were coming from but the catch-22 of trying to explain how it wasn't based on comic events was too much for me to see a way around. Which was when I realised it was easier to just hang out in the comic spoiler version. There's less action over there but it's usually about the show rather than the threat of spoilers so everyone is happy :)

What will be hilarious is when the small minority of people start the Walking dead experience with "Fear" as then anyone who's watched the parent show is potentially spoiling the new show. It'll be curious to see how that plays out. I suspect we'll tell them all to watch the parent show and then come back.

Yeah, just a film reference. It does seem to have gone to hell, everywhere pretty quickly so they probably do need to come up with a half decent explanation. I mean, they could cheat and claim there were news stories of zombies in So Cal before Rick gets coma'd but then it shouldn't be as much of a shock to him.

The spoiler thing usually happened once a season but I quit the non comic spoiler thread  during season 4 when the spoiler-phobes said myself and others weren't allowed/supposed to speculate on what happens in the show because making predictions (that weren't even based on the comics) were polluted by our knowledge of the comics and therefore potential spoilers. I can see where they were coming from but the catch-22 of trying to explain how it wasn't based on comic events was too much for me to see a way around. Which was when I realised it was easier to just hang out in the comic spoiler version. There's less action over there but it's usually about the show rather than the threat of spoilers so everyone is happy :)

What will be hilarious is when the small minority of people start the Walking dead experience with "Fear" as then anyone who's watched the parent show is potentially spoiling the new show. It'll be curious to see how that plays out. I suspect we'll tell them all to watch the parent show and then come back.

Yep, when you can't actually mention over 75% of the content, it kind of makes it difiicult to have a discussion.

i even saw people complain about aSoIaF because the books weren't finished yet, and some people were waiting until thety were to read the series, but YET they were coming to the forums. :shocked:

If you "virtually" throw people out, that is what happened to them, lol.

Ah I see.

I don't believe Rick ever died so DNA or what ever doesn't matter. Shane locked Rick in the room to protect him, you don't do that for a dead person.

As long as they give a half decent timeline I will be fine. 

Yep, when you can't actually mention over 75% of the content, it kind of makes it difiicult to have a discussion.

This became apparent once the comic spoiler thread gained some momentum. It's where I really belong :)

I don't believe Rick ever died so DNA or what ever doesn't matter. Shane locked Rick in the room to protect him, you don't do that for a dead person.

As long as they give a half decent timeline I will be fine. 

You're almost certainly correct. I think Lori/shane even mentioned visiting him in the hospital so we don't need to worry about Rick being the walking dead-alive.

Also, they did say these zombies would be different, more frightening because of their look and agility. Any ideas?

Hipster Zombies, maybe? I don't think they need to change them to make them more frightening. I reckon they'd be more frightening due to being in an urban environment.

I think it would be a bit "bullshit" of them to try something like "alpha-zombies" where the original ones are more agile/capable of basic thought and that with each bite they become less human. It's hard for that to work in a situation where  [spoiler] everyone is infected and the bite simply kills you [/spoiler]. I guess the alpha zombies could have a separate bacteria/virus in their bite so if you are bitten by them - you become an Alpha zombie, whereas if you simply die - you become basic (yet classic) zombie. That could partly explain why west coast zombies differ from East Coast Zombies as "alphas" have to pass via contact while the basic zombies are airborne.

I actually like that idea, I should use it myself if the show doesn't :)

I agree. I think a plague that develops from nature is way scarier in this instance.

TBH, I don't feel the need for an in depth explanation. I'm ok with it being a mystery.

What I'm really interested in is how they show the break down of society and how this particular group deals with it.

Archived