Fear the Walking Dead: Our hopes and dreams for the Series. (Now Spoiler Friendly).

Alia of the knife

The Principal was roaming the halls of the school alone at the beginning of the episode, maybe he ran into a walker and it caught him while trying to get away.

I thought Matt was bitten, not scratched?

But yeah, didn't make sense they didn't try to ask him who did it and how.

That's right, thanks.

I loved the episode, nothing is going to be perfect, but Matt's bite was the big elephant in the room, because I would TOTALLY be quizzing him on that.
And why didn't Matt say he was attacked or that he'd been in a fight?

Matt was bitten.

I was also groaning over the whole, "You kids stay inside! Promise me!" deal. Dad did the same thing with the ex-wife. Only on tv are people reluctant to tell you what's happening. Why not just say, "Zombies are eating the crap out of people and they are nearly impossible to kill." All Mom and druggie son would have to do is tell about their experiences and that kid would never leave the house again, but instead, you know that next week she'll be booking it over to Matt's house.

I don't recall another Tobias except for Tobias Funke from Arrested Development, but it's totally a tv name. I also kind of dig FtWD's Tobias, but the whole, "I've come for cans of food" seemed a little over the top for me. Wouldn't a savvy kid like Tobias be trying to leave California?

Yeah, not only is it time to tell her, it might be scruff-grabbing time, and through clenched, gritted teeth say, "Alicia, stay in the house."

I knew a Tobias in high school. She had a great voice and sang on Broadway for a bit. 

Back to FtWD, I really liked how it went down last night. With the current distrust of police and authority in the US (especially since Ferguson), this scenario is very realistic. And even though I wanted to punch Chris in the face ("But Dad, this is important!"), I can see a teenager or young adult getting swept up in something like that, thinking it'll be a part of history.

In case of the show, well, yeah, but not the history making moment he was hoping.

Also, while the it's frustrating watching the characters not tell each other stuff, how do you really explain zombies to someone who doesn't know what it is? This is one thing the show must be assuming to make the zombie apocalypse work: the WD is in a version of our world where zombies are not part of the pop culture. Basically, it's like today's society without Romero or his imitators ever having made a zombie movie.

Because the last time I went to the gun range with a friend (after season 2 was over), everyone was practicing head shots. Body shots don't cut it any more. :)

The show is made well, but the character tropes, dialogue, and plot beats are all thoroughly predictable. Nothing unexpected. 

Try to imagine what the Breaking Bad or Justified showrunners would have done with this world. 

Seeing Raylan, Rachel and the others from the Marshal Service and Boyd Crowder and his gang fighting walkera would be awesome.

With the knife I was like. Really?!! You came back just for that dinky knife?!!! But then he was also there for food and since stores that weren't being looted yet were still using currency, if he knew about the food there it made a bit better sense, enough for me to give the whole thing with him a pass. Asking for the knife, while wanting it back I think was also a bit of him being snarky with her in a "I told you so" way.

Maybe his knife is important to him because he got it from a grandfather or something. Hope that's the case.

Getting the supplies from school wasn't a bad idea. Remember that the supplies kept there were meant for long-term storage. That stuff might be hard to find in the neighborhood Kroger or Harris Teeter.

Only seen episode one this morning and I have to say I was bored. To the point where I paused to put some washing out, bored.

I'm all for seeing the Z-apocalypse unfold but if you're going that way, then give me something interesting/to care about in the interim. From what I've seen this family should have been one of at least 4 POV for the show. It's not strong enough on its own to hold the show together but could have worked as a multi story thread. Given the size of LA I think some more POVs would have helped. At least have the kid with a knife provide some variety or have some cops. It just felt far too focused on that family and I don't find them interesting.

Maybe the future episodes will introduce other characters but unless they are planning some major deconstruction of this family unit as they survive, I think they've weighed themselves down from the get go.

I think it's really cashing in on the popularity of the main show but I'll give it the 6 episodes as it may pull a reverse of season 1 of WD and improve with each episode.

Well it was better than the pilot but that's not saying much. It's grating how they had to make all the teenage kids so defiant all the time. Honestly think I like the drug addict kid the most after episode two but still none of the characters are likable really. Agree with whoever said it's frustrating to watch the characters just not tell each other important stuff, honestly doesn't feel like dialogue real people would say half the time. Thought the idea of protests/riots was sound but the execution was pretty laughable :leaving:
I did really like the scenes where they show the cop stealing the water and when Kim Dickens was rinsing out the blood after she killed the principal. Also thought the ending when the neighbors were getting attacked was pretty wild. One of the more unsettling walker kills on either show.

Well it was better than the pilot but that's not saying much. It's grating how they had to make all the teenage kids so defiant all the time. Honestly think I like the drug addict kid the most after episode two but still none of the characters are likable really. Agree with whoever said it's frustrating to watch the characters just not tell each other important stuff, honestly doesn't feel like dialogue real people would say half the time. Thought the idea of protests/riots was sound but the execution was pretty laughable :leaving:
I did really like the scenes where they show the cop stealing the water and when Kim Dickens was rinsing out the blood after she killed the principal. Also thought the ending when the neighbors were getting attacked was pretty wild. One of the more unsettling walker kills on either show.

Wait. The neighbors got attacked?? Damnit! I've got to stop multi-tasking and pay more attention when I'm watching these shows.

ETA: I'm strangely elated that the neighbors got attacked - them and their stupid lawn party...

The show is made well, but the character tropes, dialogue, and plot beats are all thoroughly predictable. Nothing unexpected. 

Try to imagine what the Breaking Bad or Justified showrunners would have done with this world. 

Yes. We all wait in anticipation of the untold story of zombies cooking meth.

Also, did Nick seiz because of withdrawal, or is he epileptic on top of his addiction?
If he is the latter, she better start raiding the drug stores for medication.

I had the impression that Nick faked the seizure to keep his sister from going to see her zombie boyfriend. This could be a misinterpretation, but there were subtle hints about it. Nick told his mother that he had kept Alicia from going to see Matt to start.

I also do not mind the lack of communication these characters are sharing with one another. It helps to emphasize the family dynamics. Madison and Travis are in a new relationship with one another and are both trying to put their best foot forward in front of the other. This does not lend itself to brutal honesty to start with, and obviously both parents have had major issues in dealing with their children. This is not the most open of families. 

Having said all this, it will be nice to see them eaten by zombies...

I feel like if I see someone with a fever and an inflamed wound, I'm probably going to just assume they have an infection and I'll see about getting antibiotics before I immediately jump to the conclusion that this virus is spread via bites.  I mean, these people just saw the virus active in a person who died from a gunshot to the belly, not from a bite.  It would have made more sense if they asked how they got it.

I'm also not on board with no one talking to one another or listening when they do talk.  Only on tv.  

Did I miss it or did KD not ask Tobias how he knew about this virus or what he knew about it?  

I had lots of complaints but I somehow still like it.  I think it helps that I like all of the actors so their characters have a bit of goodwill.  

I kinda hope that Nick and his mom are the only ones that survive the early attacks. Maybe the dad too. The daughter saw the video of the guy not dying after being shot a few times. She notices that her family is acting really weird and people are missing from school. With all that going on she still decides shes going to leave her brother in the state he is in to bring her bf soup.

That knife that Tobias came back for was like a steak knife. Why would he come back for that? And they didn't even take the food after all that.

I also think Nick faked the seizure. The way he told his mom about how she tried to leave but he stopped her made it seem like it.

Wait. The neighbors got attacked?? Damnit! I've got to stop multi-tasking and pay more attention when I'm watching these shows.

ETA: I'm strangely elated that the neighbors got attacked - them and their stupid lawn party...

Party neighbor got attacked by Peter, the neighbor who was loading supplies in his car but coughing...

Honestly, the junkie kid is the most interesting character on the show so far, no idea why people hate him so much. That fucking twerp who wanted to film the cops on the other hand...

Anyway, a really boring episode this week, way worse than the premier. Why can't they actually show some of the riots?  Would be better if they showed the hopelessness of the cops and the gradual disintegration of communication and structure, rather than this family bullshit.

It sort of felt like there was some content in this episode, and yet looking back on it there really wasn't.   

GRRM internet people like to talk about inverted tropes, so I saw one this week and brought it to you guys like a cat who brings a dead bird to your feet as a rent payment:   the show had the mom kill her boss, but with an unexpected twist---- for her, it was a traumatic experience.

I thought the episode was great.

It totally made the opening episode's long boring drag worth it, having forced us to invest some emotion into the characters. What struck me was the incredible suddenness of the collapse. From a few random walkers that no one has really noticed, to full scale riots in the blink of an eye. All over a cop shooting a perceived helpless homeless guy. How predictable, if you actually think about it.

The show has answered the important question about the secondary cause of the collapse - it is people going friggin apeshit crazy the moment there seems to be the slightest hint of a reason to riot against authority. We are looking at instant zombie material in the thousands, almost overnight. And when the power grid went down, that just gave us a brief glimpse of what it would be like in a city the size of Los Angeles, at night without electricity, while the zombie apocalypse is happening. Total mayhem.

As for the characters. I have really started liking the drug-addict kid. I still forget who is Chris, who is Nick and so on. But the druggie Edward Scissorhands is now my favorite character in this series. Along with the mom, who I couldn't really stand in the first episode. The mom is actually pretty cool.

As for the daugther. She is probably going to turn out great eventually, once she has her "Damascus experience", but for the time being she is annoying as hell.

Tobias is cool and I wish he had joined our group. He probably will still do so, but I'm not sure how realistic that is, given the collapse of the transport network that is imminent. As for Travis's former family - they can't get eaten by zombies soon enough. So irritating. But, again, I guess they are with us for the long haul. As I said previously, the ex-wife is apparently the Merle-equivalent in this series - selfish and entitled. And the rebellious son is apparently Carl. So two rather unlikeable character roles from the original Show that will probably just translate into two unlikeable character roles in the new Show.

My biggest gripe this week - I was counting the damn minutes down for the last half of the episode, wishing that it would not go by so quickly. The unfolding collapse is just so gripping, and it really pulls you along, thinking what you would do in that situation. Like - do they have a gun in the house? I would guess not, given the rather liberal feel of the family. If this was me I'd have that shotgun out of the old cupboard long before I went looking for the Vicodin.

Can't wait for next week.

I thought the episode was great.

It totally made the opening episode's long boring drag worth it, having forced us to invest some emotion into the characters. What struck me was the incredible suddenness of the collapse. From a few random walkers that no one has really noticed, to full scale riots in the blink of an eye. All over a cop shooting a perceived helpless homeless guy. How predictable, if you actually think about it.

The show has answered the important question about the secondary cause of the collapse - it is people going friggin apeshit crazy the moment there seems to be the slightest hint of a reason to riot against authority. We are looking at instant zombie material in the thousands, almost overnight. And when the power grid went down, that just gave us a brief glimpse of what it would be like in a city the size of Los Angeles, at night without electricity, while the zombie apocalypse is happening. Total mayhem.

As for the characters. I have really started liking the drug-addict kid. I still forget who is Chris, who is Nick and so on. But the druggie Edward Scissorhands is now my favorite character in this series. Along with the mom, who I couldn't really stand in the first episode. The mom is actually pretty cool.

As for the daugther. She is probably going to turn out great eventually, once she has her "Damascus experience", but for the time being she is annoying as hell.

Tobias is cool and I wish he had joined our group. He probably will still do so, but I'm not sure how realistic that is, given the collapse of the transport network that is imminent. As for Travis's former family - they can't get eaten by zombies soon enough. So irritating. But, again, I guess they are with us for the long haul. As I said previously, the ex-wife is apparently the Merle-equivalent in this series - selfish and entitled. And the rebellious son is apparently Carl. So two rather unlikeable character roles from the original Show that will probably just translate into two unlikeable character roles in the new Show.

My biggest gripe this week - I was counting the damn minutes down for the last half of the episode, wishing that it would not go by so quickly. The unfolding collapse is just so gripping, and it really pulls you along, thinking what you would do in that situation. Like - do they have a gun in the house? I would guess not, given the rather liberal feel of the family. If this was me I'd have that shotgun out of the old cupboard long before I went looking for the Vicodin.

Can't wait for next week.

While watching I was thinking that this crisis could easily be averted if people come together, work with each other. But, unfortunately, in this kind of society it would not be realistic. When you have cops stock piling water just for themselves, you know it will all go down the drain.

As for the characters. I have really started liking the drug-addict kid. I still forget who is Chris, who is Nick and so on.

As for Travis's former family - they can't get eaten by zombies soon enough. So irritating. But, again, I guess they are with us for the long haul. As I said previously, the ex-wife is apparently the Merle-equivalent in this series - selfish and entitled. And the rebellious son is apparently Carl. So two rather unlikeable character roles from the original Show that will probably just translate into two unlikeable character roles in the new Show.

Nick is the Drug Addict.

Liza didn't seem that bad once she realised Travis wasn't just unreasonably turning up at her house. Chris does seem a bit of a dick though.

Archived