Fear the Walking Dead: Our hopes and dreams for the Series. (Now Spoiler Friendly).

Alia of the knife

I liked the second episode, but I also found it to be very frustrating in places. It would be kinda hard to tell your daughter that the zombie apocalypse has started and her boyfriend looks like he will be joining the ranks. Especially when you are canonically constrained from calling it the zombie apocalypse. But all they had to say was "Nick was right, he saw some freaky cannibalistic shit from people that have turned from normal to mindlessly monstrous and immune to pain because of this virus. It looks like it gets passed by being bitten and your BF was bitten." And then the standard "You have to trust me on this."

Bam! Done! OK Alicia is annoying and will be sceptical until she sees it herself, but at least Travis and Madison have carried out their parental responsibility.

Madison was also a complete dick at school when she saw the principal. It was clear he was gone, it was completely dumb and contrived that she approached him knowing what she knows. The scene should have been him suddenly appearing right up in her face.

There is no patient zero, as people who watch the original series will know. Also with how Nick's dealer died it is clear in this show already that this isn't a zombie plague that needs to be passed on via a zombie bite or scratch. That suggests the show was made on the basis of assumed knowledge from the original series.

From most people's comments and my feelings. I think Nick is probably one of, if not the, strongest thing the show has going for it.

Helps that he looks like a young Jonny Depp. My family agrees, Nick is very good thanks in no small part to the great performance of Frank Dillaine. I think he's looking like the break out star from this series. Hopefully Alicia grows as a character because Alycia (the actor) is pretty talented too.

I think Nick's drug dependency should continue to play a role for a while yet. With society breaking down he should have ample opportunity to obtain the necessary material to fall off the wagon, he'll want to stay strong, but the zombie apocalypse is going to unhinge even the most stable minds until you can come to terms with the new reality.

And I actually like Nick and it will be interesting to see if he transfers the adrenlin high of drugs to the adrenalin of survival.

That's an interesting spin. Maybe Nick has been a listless "alpha male" (or more likely just a caveman) and has felt useless in an urban society from a priveleged background? It's easier if you're a redneck or cop to indulge your more primal self?

From most people's comments and my feelings. I think Nick is probably one of, if not the, strongest thing the show has going for it.

It could also be that he's the only cast member with some worthy drama-meat hanging over him? We have "struggling step-dad", "Struggling step-mum" (largely because of druggie son), "Daughter ready to go to college", "bitter son" and "ill-informed ex-wife who gets in way of dad saving kid". Seems clear why we'd gravitate to junkie-son who we've yet to know why he got like that and seems to have his shit together when in trouble.

It's also no wonder everyone wants more Tobias - the bullied kid whose Granda taught him how to prepare for the zombie apocalypse.

I'm still hoping the mum used to be a junkie and that all the "it's genetic" comments are because of her and not because of the absent dad which seems to be the likely explanation. Maybe I missed confirmation of this?

The rest of the cast need a lot more depth/angles than we've had so far. Dad's flaw seems to be "he's just too nice" - tell us he was responsible for his marriage failing or something. I have hope for the daughter as I think she just needs a push and she'll start getting shit done - it'll just take a while for her dream of escaping to dissolve.

Regarding Nick's drug habit, I don't think this Show will indulge further relapses into drug use for him. They are allocating 2-3 episodes of their 6 episode season to his withdrawal from his drug habit. The zombie apocalypse simply will not allow anyone the luxury to descend into that time of indulgence again.

He may go back to using drugs, but then he will die and bye bye to his character. More likely is he will make a 180 degree turnaround, and they will take the path of  "The zombie apocalypse saved his life", as it was the only thing that could break him free of his habit.

In general, people don't have much sympathy for drug addicts, and even less so during the zombie apocalypse. I do suspect that he will be confronted with the choice again, and they may even pull a nice episode of dramatic tension from it. But I am confident that he will in the end choose against it, or some zombies will burst in when he is at the brink of taking another shot of drugs, thus interrupting him and steering him away from it for good.

There simply is no other way for it to go. If he descends into another lengthy period of withdrawal later in the season no one is going to be able to carry him through it. He will then be toast.

Regarding Nick's drug habit, I don't think this Show will indulge further relapses into drug use for him. They are allocating 2-3 episodes of their 6 episode season to his withdrawal from his drug habit. The zombie apocalypse simply will not allow anyone the luxury to descend into that time of indulgence again.

He may go back to using drugs, but then he will die and bye bye to his character. More likely is he will make a 180 degree turnaround, and they will take the path of  "The zombie apocalypse saved his life", as it was the only thing that could break him free of his habit.

In general, people don't have much sympathy for drug addicts, and even less so during the zombie apocalypse. I do suspect that he will be confronted with the choice again, and they may even pull a nice episode of dramatic tension from it. But I am confident that he will in the end choose against it, or some zombies will burst in when he is at the brink of taking another shot of drugs, thus interrupting him and steering him away from it for good.

There simply is no other way for it to go. If he descends into another lengthy period of withdrawal later in the season no one is going to be able to carry him through it. He will then be toast.

Exactly this.

A zombie apocalypse is not a good time to not be completely aware at all times.

And Nick should remember that had he not woke up in time at that shooting gallery, he might have been Glo's second course.

And also Zoos.

I sometimes wonder this, but in reality most of the carnivores will be dead in weeks. Unless some big storm comes along that damages the enclosures enough to let them escape they'll likely all be dead shortly. I did like the thing in Walking Dead proper with the feral dogs.

This scenario results in survival of the fittest. Nick better get better soon. Also, I don't see how driving to the desert is a a feasible option. I have visions of Mad Max plus running out of gasoline, water, and food in general. I'm the type who would commit suicide. No running from zombies for me. Apocalypse happening? I'm done with that nonsense, but that's just me.

At this point, they are probably better off just making sure they have enough opiates for Nick because it doesn't look like their current location will afford the time for him to go through withdrawal.  He's functioned well so far, meaning he can defend himself and others in his group.  Along with water and food, they are going to have to make it a priority to find opiates. Perhaps they have a cabin in the desert somewhere and they can spend a couple of weeks in relative safety while Nick goes through withdrawal.  

It appears that Jack Bauer has grown weary of one sentence negative reviews and decided to abbreviate them. Thanks again for all of the valuable input you contribute to the board.

In other new, it appears Baitic was right, and Nick was not faking his seizure. Dalton Ross of EW interviewed Dave Erickson, the showrunner and he said

And I think that particular scene, you know, he’s an addict and he’s selfish and he wants his pills and he wants more, and it comes off of a moment where [Madison] stares him down and he has to do something to gain favor. So it’s a nice character moment, and I think that Frank (Dillane) played it very well. It was him going through sort of hardcore withdrawal and it led to him seizing, and then he tries to exploit that for his own advantage with his mom later on.

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/08/30/fear-walking-dead-showrunner-dave-erickson-so-close-yet-so-far

I think it was thought that he was faking because he really had no reason to be seizing.  A google search seems to confirm that opiate withdrawal does not typically cause seizures.  I thought the seizure was fake though the vomiting likely real, though the showrunner seems to claim that both were real.  

Archived