Fear the Walking Dead: Our hopes and dreams for the Series. (Now Spoiler Friendly).

Alia of the knife

Note to self, if I ever see a dude eating a dog raw don't, however tempting it might seem, go up and ask him if he's 'OK'.

ugh they're going to do the paint-by-numbers heartless military in a disaster storyline that's been done in a dozen films

I disagree. The military came in and saved the day, kicking zombie ass and taking names. What was amazing was watching a movie/TV show that depicted a competent group of soldiers that didn't spend 90% screen time shooting shit up for no reason.

I found it odd how Travis and the neighbor were dragging the garbage can out to the curb as if things will go back to normal.

Why is it odd? WE know it's the end of the world, but they don't. 

I think it's actually exactly what would happen in real life, people don't automatically assume "world ending" because of a sickness and some riots downtown. 

Note to self, if I ever see a dude eating a dog raw don't, however tempting it might seem, go up and ask him if he's 'OK'.

I disagree. The military came in and saved the day, kicking zombie ass and taking names. What was amazing was watching a movie/TV show that depicted a competent group of soldiers that didn't spend 90% screen time shooting shit up for no reason.

100% agree. 

If anything, it's the OPPOSITE of what we usually see, they came in, saved those who weren't turned/bitten and killed the zombies around. In any other movie/show about zombies, they would have came in and tried to kill everyone just to be sure it doesn't spread more. (and then they'd be the enemy for the episode)

We'll see, my guess is it will be 28 Weeks Later style; quarantine camps, psycho soldiers, general who wants to nuke everything, etc.

Remind me again why everyone is rioting? Because the cops shot a homeless guy? It's one thing to have it in a small area of LA, but they said on the radio that it had spread to 12 (or thereabouts) states. It's also pretty unbelievable that there would be a bunch of zombies among the human rioters, and none of them would notice. You'd think those bastards would fuck off home if the cops started eating eachother right in the middle of their otherwise successful and fancy riot.

Anyway, it makes for a pretty interesting premise, as I found myself wanting those smug, psychopathic vandals (who apparently represents a majority of fictional LA's population) to get eaten alive, so I'm actually rooting for the zombies at this point.

I liked when the military arrived, although it surprised me. The zombies shouldn't actually stand a chance against them. They're only dangerous when they're close by in confined areas, and no organize military unit would ever allow themselves to be put in that position. 

Why is it odd? WE know it's the end of the world, but they don't. 

I think it's actually exactly what would happen in real life, people don't automatically assume "world ending" because of a sickness and some riots downtown. 

They are getting ready to flee the city and they are worried about putting out the trash. That is the last thing I'd worry about.

I think so.  From his perspective, they really have no idea what is going on with the all the seemingly dead people walking around.  So while he should definitely recognize the immediate danger they represent, I don't think its unreasonable for him to hesitate to "kill" them.  

They are getting ready to flee the city and they are worried about putting out the trash. That is the last thing I'd worry about.

At this point they probably still believe they'll be coming back at some point.  Would you leave a rotting corpse in your house if you thought you'd be coming back in the not too distant future?

I think so.  From his perspective, they really have no idea what is going on with the all the seemingly dead people walking around.  So while he should definitely recognize the immediate danger they represent, I don't think its unreasonable for him to hesitate to "kill" them.  

At this point they probably still believe they'll be coming back at some point.  Would you leave a rotting corpse in your house if you thought you'd be coming back in the not too distant future?

He buried the corpse of the neighbor in the vegetable garden, I'd imagine he buried the dog too. We've already seen police stockpiling water in preparation of fleeing so I can assume that the trash collectors in Los Angeles are either dying, dead or have fled.

It's getting better each episode imo. Thought this one was pretty good all around. The scene of Travis and Co witnessing the power going off all over the city while driving through the hills was really well done. Definitely could feel the tension, and the fear of what that would be like.

Really liking Daniel so far too.

He buried the corpse of the neighbor in the vegetable garden, I'd imagine he buried the dog too

Right, forgot about that.  Still, point stands.  If you think you're coming back, you put the trash out.  

It's not like the whole neighbor is a smoldering crater of inhospitable destruction that there'd be no point in ever returning to.  They are just bugging out until things go back to normal.  Could be days, weeks, or even a couple of months, but at this point they absolutely believe that they will be returning to that house.  They probably turned out the lights and locked the doors, even.

Can anyone translate what the Latino family were saying to each other in Spanish? Anything important in there that I would need to know?

As for the episode, well, it has certainly jumbled up the characters I like yet again. Let's go down the list.

Travis: I can't believe they have a damn anti-gun activist in their midst, and that he is complaining about guns in the house during the friggin zombie apocalypse. Or maybe they are trying to demonstrate the irrational insanity of this position. Zombie apocalypse or not, guns ar baaaad. So Travis is right down to the bottom of my list of likeable characters as of Episode 3.

The patriarch of the Latino family: I like the man. They are going to need him around to slap some sense into Brady campaign member Travis if they are to make it through the apocalypse.

Nick: The drug addiction storyline is getting old. Just write the plot so they have a shitload of aspirin or whatever the hell it is they're giving him to keep the shivers at bay. I'm really not interested in seeing precious screen minutes wasted on him breaking into abandoned houses to look for drugs. On the plus side, he did get them the gun, so well done for that. Time to get his shit together now, or get his face eaten.

Madison: She's going to be the Rick of this show.  I like her more every episode.

The rest: They're tolerable. But some of them are clearly going to be zombie food.

Was the Spanish not subtitled for you?

Anyway the daughter says she was told all their family was buried in El Salvador, this in response to the dad talking about the others not being 'family.' Then arguing about going with the other characters or waiting.

After Travis talks Madison out of killing the walker Susan he was: 'weak.'

Later the father talks about protecting the two of them, and the mother says the father and her have been in worse situations. The daughter continues to advocate staying with the main characters, saying they are good people, that prompts the 'good people are always the first to die' line.

All evidence would point to him being involved in the Salvadoran civil war.

It's getting better each episode imo. Thought this one was pretty good all around. The scene of Travis and Co witnessing the power going off all over the city while driving through the hills was really well done. Definitely could feel the tension, and the fear of what that would be like.
Really liking Daniel so far too.

That was a great scene. It was such a great depiction of what losing the grid would be like in a huge city, that it kinda really freaked me out. More along the lines of oh crap, if we had a gnarly earthquake that's what could happen. One of the best scenes so far.

What's not explained well in the show is how vast LA actually is. The riots could be downtown, or in Compton or Hollywood, etc, and they would be far enough away from other areas that people really wouldn't pay much attention unless the rioting was close to them. Which imo is a decent reason for people to keep on about their business. I really do like that we get to see how it all unfolds, how people react and how long it takes them to understand and adjust. Maddy, Nick and Daniel seem to be adjusting the quickest. I'm really liking Travis' ex wife - I think she will be an asset later on. Reminds me of Maggie.

I doubt that they will end up in the desert this season.

I get that the characters don't yet realise they're in the zombie apocalypse, but even the anti-gun person I am if I just had a formerly normal, friendly neighbour hunched over a dead dog eating it in my family room and then mindlessly try to attack me AND having to be shot in the face twice to die AND I'd seen at least a few people suffering from the same condition, I think I would relax my position on guns a wee bit, in fact right about the time of the neighbour having to be shot in the face twice I'd be thinking, "damn I wish I hadn't been quite so anti-gun because I might need to learn pretty fast."

Travis seems to be being set up as an anti-Shane/Rick. It's an interesting attempt to look at how a "liberal" might cope with teh zombie apocalypse. But if they're going to have him try to hold on to his PC/liberal principles for as long as possible then they make his survival beyond a few weeks rather unrealistic. Hopefully once they all properly realise that it is the true end of civilisation he wises up and gets real very quickly. He needs to get hard, but I would prefer him not to go the crazy route because that's been done in this world already.

I do need to make sure I'm not thinking ahead of the characters in the show when I do my "is this behaviour believable?" check. We know where this thing is headed, but for the moment they don't. And of course for now they are feeling a bit more secure with the military having come in and saved the day, for now.

Archived