Fear the Walking Dead: Our hopes and dreams for the Series. (Now Spoiler Friendly).

Alia of the knife

What is crazy and frightening is when they supposedly did a toxicology report on the attacker, they did not find anything in his system other than MJ.

Edit: Soooo, what's in this stuff, are We talking Drano and Sudafed?

I honestly don't know what is in it. I've heard it called so many different names, everything from bath salts to synthetic pot. It seems to be mostly made in China so who knows.

Uhg, it is a truly frightening drug. I am pretty much against the whole war on drug thing but this stuff is scary.

I honestly don't know what is in it. I've heard it called so many different names, everything from bath salts to synthetic pot. It seems to be mostly made in China so who knows.

Uhg, it is a truly frightening drug. I am pretty much against the whole war on drug thing but this stuff is scary.

Agreed.

I was gripped by the anticipation of it all. Can't say that I like any of the characters, though.

The wife looks like a young version of the lady Senator who ruled Alexandria until Rick showed up. Too hard of face and mannerisms, and not very appealing or sympathetic.

The son looks like Edward Scissorhands.

The dad looks like Kumar has escaped from Guantamo bay, ditched Harold and aged a decade or so but remained just as goofy.

And the daughter is hot, but irritating in the extreme with her constant teenage moodiness.

You do know that there's more to character than "what they looked like." In fact, what someone looks like, and whether or not you would bang them, is really not part of their character at all.

You do know that there's more to character than "what they looked like." In fact, what someone looks like, and whether or not you would bang them, is really not part of their character at all.

Not to mention just how stupidly racist part of that assessment was.  Cliff Curtis has been acting for almost 25 years, he's been in some damned good movies (I loved him in Sunshine) and here comes this stupid ass comment, "herp derp he's brown skinned like Kumar hurrrrr."

Jesus fucking wept.

Pretty meh on it. I'm not opposed to slow burns and I know pilots have to spend time introducing the players/setting but it just didn't grab me. The characters weren't very interesting at all, I agree with whoever said that all kids were pretty annoying.
The orginal walking dead pilot was so good I couldn't wait to see more, I honestly couldn't even wait for this one to finish but I'll probably watch at least a couple more episodes to see where things go and if they improve, also Kim Dickens.

I am interested to see where this goes. Walking Dead proper took the easy way out of skipping the true beginning of the outbreak. The characters didn't grab me I've got to say, and as much as you're all keep saying 'but that that's Kim Dickens,' apart from her being a character I never really warmed to in Deadwood, I have no idea who she is. But I didn't totally hate anyone either.

Also just because of the Walking Dead's track record it seems fitting the first person we see as a human then as a walker is a black man.

I found it intriguing enough to keep watching. Yeah, I know we all want to see walkers IMMEDIATELY, but c'mon, you've got to be invested enough in the characters to care about what happens to them.

And I understand that some of you are saying they're annoying, but please - that's kind of annoying right there in itself. All people can be annoying if one is ready to be annoyed. I found their situations to be pretty true to life. Blended families like that are tough. Sometimes it's easier to deal with walkers.

LA is dumb but people keep going there.    This show portrays LA people, so the tenor of the show is dumb, but people will want to keep watching it so they can go to LA.   Not because the show is good, but because LA draws us like a pied piper with Kardashians blowing the human-binding horn.   Also, many are simply addicted to zombies at this point.   So if a show has any zombie content these people must give it a positive review.   They really have no choice in the matter.   One can't speak badly of zombies without being labeled an Uncle Tom these days.

I wasn't really all that impressed, though I hadn't been excited about it to start so that might have been it.  It wasn't bad by any means.  I like the characters, minus the son's greasy crazy hair.  I guess I just wish there was more focus on how the virus started rather than how people in a major city dealt with the initial outbreak.

Also, that is some serious smog over LA.  I could almost feel it in my lungs every time they panned to the smog hanging over the city.  

I wasn't really all that impressed, though I hadn't been excited about it to start so that might have been it.  It wasn't bad by any means.  I like the characters, minus the son's greasy crazy hair.  I guess I just wish there was more focus on how the virus started rather than how people in a major city dealt with the initial outbreak.

Also, that is some serious smog over LA.  I could almost feel it in my lungs every time they panned to the smog hanging over the city.

No, my friend, that is the "marine layer" not smog :d

I kind of enjoyed all the shots of LA but True Detective did a better job at showing the dingy parts. The scene when the mom & dad are in their truck and there is a back up on the off ramp is pretty silly. If there were actually any kind of outbreak like that it would be absolute chaos and gridlock on the freeways. The amount of traffic at any given moment on any of the freeways would create massive amounts of zombies in minutes. I'm hoping that they will show the level of crazy that would happen if there ever was an apocalyptic event. Disneyland alone would be nuts. Which, by the way, would include lots of zombie children. Apart from Sofia TWD hasn't really addressed zombie kids or babies. I wouldn't mind seeing that.

Overall the premiere really didn't wow me. The characters weren't compelling but I will keep watching just because. Like others I was hoping they would address how the outbreak started and why but I suppose it's not necessary.

I

I'm in the "Meh" camp on this one. It's plagued by the same faults as the original series: weak writing, no sense of humor at all, slow pace, etc. Add to that stereotyped teenagers. I'll watch simply because my wife wants to watch it (we watch almost everything together - this is the price I pay for watching a hundred and fifty baseball games a year) but I have little hope that this show will be bold and original. 

I liked it. The setting is urban, the group (family) is small and yet diverse. The diversity also arises from the conflicts within it. Still, the parents have to be capable otherwise show over. A virus would certainly spread initially and easily within the IV drug community, so I thought that was very realistic.

Mostly, I really liked the one to one, private realization that these people cannot be killed (unless shot in the head, stressed in the video with the police.) We haven't gotten to all the ways one can injure the brain and kill a zombie, but this was a good start. I'm very curious to see what they do next. Not everyone has a zombie apocalypse plan, so it'll be interesting to see how this family copes with this outbreak.

So, now that the spoilers are set for stun on this thread, I wanted to chime in a little more in depth about this show. Overall, I enjoyed it and thought that a couple of things were really well done. The cast is fantastic so far, and I really enjoyed some of the writing being taken in directions that were not predictable. I also really liked the reveal of the episode on the highway being done on smartphones. If you are going for a slow burn reveal, that is the way to do so. I think that I would probably already consider myself a fan of the show, and I am really glad that we are getting zombies in one form or another closer to year round now.

Having said that, I must also express frustration. Given a blank slate in this universe, is this the best time period with the best characters, in the best setting for the show to focus on? Is there a need to go back to the beginning?  Other than possibly exploring the origin of the outbreak, I would think not. With the professions of the main characters being two teachers, a junkie, and a high school girl, we are probably not going to have the opportunity to interact with government officials that might have an understanding of what is happening. 

Look at it from a positive note: It gives us a chance to see weaker more interesting characters in an harrowing setting. There's a limit to what new characters they can introduce in the parent show as everyone has been toughened up by this point. Characters who are capable can sometimes be a little dull, unless they have other things to set them apart.

Look at it from a positive note: It gives us a chance to see weaker more interesting characters in an harrowing setting. There's a limit to what new characters they can introduce in the parent show as everyone has been toughened up by this point. Characters who are capable can sometimes be a little dull, unless they have other things to set them apart.

Weaker, less capable characters are exactly what we got with the Alexandria cast though, no?

Yes, and so far the Walking Dead has been about all of the characters leveling up. Do we really need to see a new set of characters doing the same? It just seems redundant to me, especially if you aren't going to explore the greater mysteries of the virus itself. We have seen what happens to cities in this world. Is it really necessary to have a boots on the ground perspective?

There is just so many different directions to go in with this series, and I'm not sure that this was the best one. This is not to say that I won't enjoy it, but I will say that I am frustrated. 

Archived