[The Last Ship] - In The Navy !

Arkash

Dont think we have a thread for the show... that is currently in its second season.

Sometimes, the over the top "American values, badassery" is too much and it can look like a Republican propaganda TV show, but beyond this main flaw (that is justifiable by the fact that we follow ultra patriot Navy soldiers, so it's coherent with their education) the show is very engaging... first and foremost by its nervosity, it's always on the edge and damn tense ! 

This season 2, the episode 5 (Achilles) was a gold one for me ! The whole "quiet 2" scene was nerve racking as hell !

The first season was pretty good if you accepted the over the top Micael Bay action side to it. The plot was decent and the characters likeable enough.
I thought the second season started well but the villains like everyone says are a bit weak this season. After dealing with rogue Russian warships and a totalitarian regime killing its own people off the bad guys this season seem pretty low key.

Dont think we have a thread for the show... that is currently in its second season.

Sometimes, the over the top "American values, badassery" is too much and it can look like a Republican propaganda TV show, but beyond this main flaw (that is justifiable by the fact that we follow ultra patriot Navy soldiers, so it's coherent with their education) the show is very engaging... first and foremost by its nervosity, it's always on the edge and damn tense ! 

This season 2, the episode 5 (Achilles) was a gold one for me ! The whole "quiet 2" scene was nerve racking as hell !

I like it for a summer show. If it was on during the fall when there was other TV to watch, I probably wouldn't, but with slim pickings this time of year, it is okay.

I don't really understand the comment about it looking like a Republican propaganda TV show, though. Care to explain that?

Damn, latest episode was great !

I have trouble understanding why they'd want to blame and pursue Rachel after "her crime" may save humanity, but Chandler's speech on rituals and protocols explained it clearly, though I disagree with him, I can understand his views on the subject.

Well play Sean for turning the Navy into the bad guys ! Looking forward to see how they're gonna reverse that !

• 3 weeks later...

I'm guessing the actress who plays Dr. Scott isn't returning as there isn't any loss or suspense in that character being assassinated.  The cure and the data for the cure is already out there, they have access to better facilities in case more work needs to be done, she's been pardoned.  There are no loose ends with her character.  The only thing her death brings is the inevitable man pain stupid storylines.  I would have expected something wrong with the cure, Chandler having problems with the shrapnel in his gut, or a new big bad as cliffhangers.

I bet they don't have even an idea sketch for next season, hence the dumb 'cliffhanger'.  

I for one thought the rebuilding the world plot sufficient enough for the following season. 

That final cliffhanger felt quite cheap and only there to bring more conflict and tension to the next season. But it doesnt bring up anything really relevant. Crisis to deal with across the world would have been enough material for a whole season.

I really don't like this show. 1. You know in the cut scene, pretty much what is going to happenin the ep. 2. Half the time they are bellying up "The Navy" Way w/ lines you can't cross, and the other half, crossing said lines, and doing what ever it takes w/ little to no consequences. 3. The action reminds me of the action on the A-Team. 10K bullets, couple red shirts/lowly bad guys down, 1 back ground character slightly wounded(and back on their feet the next week) and any thing that blew up, wasn't really needed. 

• 6 months later...

I really liked the first season of this show. It had a really cool premise. But now, it just seems like its going off the rails - like so many other similar shows that started out with a cool premise and were good (or even great) for their first season or so.

But, then once you reach a sort of resolution to the original premise, everything just falls apart. The other show that really falls into that trap in my mind is Prison Break. But there have been others: Jericho, Heroes, even Lost to an extent.

Archived