Ned and Tower of Joy

KINGpanther

I went into great detail about (my opinions but based on fact) Ned and being made to look younger.

It is ABSOLUTELY possible to make Sean Bean into a young looking actor to fight Arthur Dayne-  the absolute hardest part would be 1- Getting Ned to agree to do it because of the fact that 2- He would need to get into excellent, excellent shape to do it.  I'm not at all sure of his typical physical conditioning or personal fitness levels nor his typical film training levels, but he'd have to get into real, top shape in order to both look the part and play the part (Assuming it's a real fight scene because , you know, it was a real fight scene - and Dayne is the Sword of the Morning and all that...)

But it would rock, I tell you, totally rock.

I went into great detail about (my opinions but based on fact) Ned and being made to look younger.

It is ABSOLUTELY possible to make Sean Bean into a young looking actor to fight Arthur Dayne-  the absolute hardest part would be 1- Getting Ned to agree to do it because of the fact that 2- He would need to get into excellent, excellent shape to do it.  I'm not at all sure of his typical physical conditioning or personal fitness levels nor his typical film training levels, but he'd have to get into real, top shape in order to both look the part and play the part (Assuming it's a real fight scene because , you know, it was a real fight scene - and Dayne is the Sword of the Morning and all that...)

They could use a body/stunt double to do the fighting.

It's one thing a 56 year old actor playing a 36 year old character; it's another thing a 56 year old playing a 20 year old.

I'm still holding out for a spin-off series which focuses on Robert's Rebellion and the events leading up to it.

On that basis, I'd be hoping for a good, young actor to take over. My hopes will probably be dashed.

It's one thing a 56 year old actor playing a 36 year old character; it's another thing a 56 year old playing a 20 year old.

I'm still holding out for a spin-off series which focuses on Robert's Rebellion and the events leading up to it.

On that basis, I'd be hoping for a good, young actor to take over. My hopes will probably be dashed.

Does he need to play a 20 year old? I don't think in the show his or Jon Snow's age are mentioned. He only has to look younger than he was in season 1 and it would only need to be for a few scenes. The Hobbit used for the smaller roles also the same actors as Lord of The Rings (Legolas, Galadriel, Gandalf, Elrond, Saruman, Frodo ...). Only Bilbo was recast with a younger actor.

Does he need to play a 20 year old? I don't think in the show his or Jon Snow's age are mentioned. He only has to look younger than he was in season 1 and it would only need to be for a few scenes. The Hobbit used for the smaller roles also the same actors as Lord of The Rings (Legolas, Galadriel, Gandalf, Elrond, Saruman, Frodo ...). Only Bilbo was recast with a younger actor.

Frodo was only in the Hobbit in present day, wasn't he?  The remainder of those you list were immortal or all but immortal, and there's no basis for them to have visibly aged over such a comparitively short period of time.

I guess my point is that Bean was already playing a much younger man. And that was, what, 6 years ago? Sure, the show could fudge it and pretend that the Tower of Joy happened a few weeks before the events in series 1. They would still have to make him look an awful lot younger than he now is.

Frodo was only in the Hobbit in present day, wasn't he?  The remainder of those you list were immortal or all but immortal, and there's no basis for them to have visibly aged over such a comparitively short period of time.

I guess my point is that Bean was already playing a much younger man. And that was, what, 6 years ago? Sure, the show could fudge it and pretend that the Tower of Joy happened a few weeks before the events in series 1. They would still have to make him look an awful lot younger than he now is.

Sean Bean wasn't 'playing a much younger man' in Season 1 - show Ned was likely meant to be around Sean Bean's age, maybe five years younger at the most. The Stark parents were aged-up, just like the children were. That said, making a 56 year-old Sean Bean look like a 30-35 year-old Ned would be very, very difficult. As much as I love Sean Bean's Ned, I'd rather they cast a new actor to play young Ned, so that I don't have to spend the whole of the ToJ scene scrutinising the makeup and willing myself to suspend disbelief.

As much as I love Sean Bean's Ned, I'd rather they cast a new actor to play young Ned, so that I don't have to spend the whole of the ToJ scene scrutinising the makeup and willing myself to suspend disbelief.

Na mate, if D&D bring bak Sean Bean I will lose my shit.

Lengendary swordfighter = Randyll Tarly the only man to inflict a defeat of Robert Baratheon during his rebellion NO TOWER OF JOY.

Actually Randyll was in the casting lists but as another figure completely, so yeah, Legendary Fighter = Arthur still stands. 

Well they never really went into that much detail on how old show Eddard was supposed to be. He is around 36 in the book but he could easily be considered 50ish for the show. it's certainly possible (I would say probable) that he wasn't supposed to have been 36 in the show but around 50. so instead of 20 at the time of the TOJ we would get early 30's. Very doable.

Lengendary swordfighter = Randyll Tarly the only man to inflict a defeat of Robert Baratheon during his rebellion NO TOWER OF JOY.

Randyll Tarly has never been mentioned as being a great Swordsman in either the show or the books. So that really doesn't make any sense. He never defeated Robert in single combat but rather as a battle commander. 

I think Sean would absolutely be on board, he was talking about it as recently as May. I'm sure they could make the fight scene work. After all according to the book Dayne would have killed him except for Howland Reed so its not like the fight scene would be like Brad Pitt and Eric Bana from Troy. Bean did fine in the LOTR movie and even though thats about 15 years ago I think he could still get pretty close to that.

I think Sean would absolutely be on board, he was talking about it as recently as May. I'm sure they could make the fight scene work. After all according to the book Dayne would have killed him except for Howland Reed so its not like the fight scene would be like Brad Pitt and Eric Bana from Troy. Bean did fine in the LOTR movie and even though thats about 15 years ago I think he could still get pretty close to that.

What they could do is have Ned take an injury early with Ned's Bannermen (Reed included) v Dayne with Dayne killing them all untill only Reed is left. A weakened Dayne goes for Reed but Reed holds Dayne off while Ned recovers and finishes Dayne from behind?

Archived