Max von Sydow replacing Bloodraven in Season 6

GtrGbln

He's a good actor, but I almost wish they kept the guy from season 4. He only had a couple of lines but he was good to me plus for continuity sake. I wonder why they switched?

Are you serious? We are talking about Max von freaking Sydow. One of the best actors alive. I can forgive some (very minor anyway) continuity issue if we are getting such a legendary actor.

Getting Von Sydow is a major coup, no doubt, but I'd rather they'd altered the makeup on Bloodraven than the guy underneath, so that he actually:

a) Looks somewhat creepy and inhuman, being fused together with the tree, instead of just being an old guy sitting in a tree.

b.) Has one eye instead of two, so that 'a thousand eyes and one' actually makes sense.

Though with any luck we'll get that too. The dis-continuity of a recast / reimagining would normally bother me, but since Bloodraven's debut episode marked the start of a major decline in quality of the show, I'm not fussy about continuity at this point. My interest in the show now is just hoping to see some great characters and moments from the books realised on screen, and hoping against hope that D&D get at least a small portion of them right. A fully realised Bloodraven would be a good start on that front. Hopefully the fact that they've cast Von Sydow at least means that they're giving the character more attention, which might lead them to discard 'old tree-sitting guy' as a placeholder Bloodraven and spend more time on the character's look.

And for the love of God they need a do over for the character design.  Dir. Graves or whoever was responsible for the look of Brynden Rivers in his one appearance should be flogged.  The guys is hanging there in his tree roots saying "I've been watching you w/ a thousand eyes and one" and the mutherfuggr has two eyes.  That's just pathetic.  The three eyed Raven has ONE FRICKEN EYE PEOPLE!  How do you mess that up?

I agree :agree:

But what was the reason for this replacement anyways? Why didn't they just keep the previous actor?

I imagine that the original actor was only cast as a 'placeholder' with the understanding that they'll be replaced later on - just like we had Beric Dondarrion being played by an extra in Season 1 before he was re-cast with a more established actor in Season 3 when the character had significant screentime.

It's not ideal in terms of continuity, but it would have been impractical or impossible to cast expensive, well-known actors like Dormer and Von Sydow for their characters' brief initial appearances when they weren't going to come to the fore until a season or more later.

I imagine that the original actor was only cast as a 'placeholder' with the understanding that they'll be replaced later on - just like we had Beric Dondarrion being played by an extra in Season 1 before he was re-cast with a more established actor in Season 3 when the character had significant screentime.

It's not ideal in terms of continuity, but it would have been impractical or impossible to cast expensive, well-known actors like Dormer and Von Sydow for their characters' brief initial appearances when they weren't going to come to the fore until a season or more later.

This is doubtful because the original actor is not a nobody either. He has a long list of known work.

Archived