Would a Robert's rebellion prequel be necessary?

Chilli

I don't get why so many people want a prequel about Robert's Rebellion. I think all questions will be answered in the next 2 books and in the tv-shows. It's important now for Jon Snow to know what's happened and how he will handle it. (But I would like a prequel about Dunk & Egg)

GRRM thinks something similar about it.

From Not a blog: http://grrm.livejournal.com/311788.html?thread=17249772#t17249772

Question:
Is there any chancethat Roberts Rebellion ever gets made into a Full length feature film? The rebellion seems like the perfect big budget movie, and it would be pretty cool to see Robert smash Rhaegar at the battle of the Trident.

Answer GRRM:
I think the chances of any sort of film or tv version of Robert's Rebellion are remote.
To tell the truth, I have never understood why there is so much interest in this particular prequel. By the time I finish A SONG OF ICE AND FIRE, you will know everything there is to know about Robert's Rebellion. If I then went on to write a novel, a trilogy, or a screenplay about same, it would be a novel, trilogy, or screenplay utterly without surprise, so the reader would know everything that was going to happen. I'd just be connecting the dots. I don't see the point.

Would it be necessary? Not really, but if HBO wants to keep going off of the popularity of GoT, the rebellion would make the most sense. While the actors won't be the same, there are already plenty of established characters for the audience to identify with as opposed to something like D&E where Egg gets a mention here and there on GoT and that's it. I get what GRRM is saying from a book reader perspective and how we will already know what will happen, but isn't that the same thing that we were dealing with from the start of GoT to begin with?

a book would be unnecessary. the show is about recreating great scenes from the books though. and some of those are flashbacks or stories about robert's rebellion. it would work.

Would it be necessary? Not really, but if HBO wants to keep going off of the popularity of GoT, the rebellion would make the most sense. While the actors won't be the same, there are already plenty of established characters for the audience to identify with as opposed to something like D&E where Egg gets a mention here and there on GoT and that's it. I get what GRRM is saying from a book reader perspective and how we will already know what will happen, but isn't that the same thing that we were dealing with from the start of GoT to begin with?

This..if HBO decides they want to build on aGoT this is the best way to do it..fans will already be familiar with a lot of the characters (Robert, Ned,Twyin..ect) and if they story goes they way most think it will (R+L=J)  would have been at least introduced to Rhaegar and Lyanna. and even though we will have the basics of what happened seeing it explored more in depth on screen would make for a good show imo

Personally I would still love the detailed as it happened movie of Rhaegar, Lyanna, Howland, Arthur etc

However I would also like Dunk and Egg from start to Summerhall

And I would love to go back to:

First men and CotF time

Asshai in it's glory

The civilization responsible for all the oily stone ruins (foundation of hightower, seastone chair etc)

They should just start a Westeros channel :)

Nothing is "necessary" besides eating and breathing, the rest we just do because we want to :)

depending on how the rest of the show goes, there may or may not be any mystery left in the rebellion. Time will tell.

But either way, it would be epic.

...and yeah dragons, Valyria and Targs would be pretty badass! Aegon invasion etc.

That would be really cool!

Aegon's invasion is made for HBO lol..dragons and BEWBS and war and BEWBS and SHOCKING brother/sister sexiness and....BEWBS

yeah thinking about it..HBO execs are throwing everyting and the kitchen sink at  GRRM to get the rights to this one

Not in the slightest, IMO. Everything important about Robert's Rebellion should be explored in the series, which would make a Robert's Rebellion prequel redundant as there'd be no story to tell.

Not in the slightest, IMO. Everything important about Robert's Rebellion should be explored in the series, which would make a Robert's Rebellion prequel redundant as there'd be no story to tell.

That's what I think, it should be included in the present series with flashbacks.

I think they could do a long Dynastic series, starting with Aegon and the Conquest, introducing the Targaryen dynasty, the Battle of the Red Grass Field, The Melting of Harrenhal. The Bow of the Vale and The North and of course the Forging of the Iron Throne. If it is well received, then, follow through the Targaryen reigns, The Dance with Dragons, The Young Dragon and the Conquest and Rise of Dorne, The Blackfyre Rebellions, The tragedy of Summerhall etc, seasons of the 285 years ending with Robert's Rebellion and the last scene of the series, if it is successful and continued will be Robert and his new wife/queen Cercei being received by the people outside the Great Sept of Baelor and her winking at Jaime to the side as the very last scene before cutting to credits.

After credits role, show a ship leaving Dragonstone with a little boy, an old Knight holding a little silver haired baby girl. Sailing for Braavos.

Archived