Questions about Dawn

purple-eyes

Dawn was made of a fallen star, which I assume to be some kind of iron or rock. 

But Dawn was described as "milk-glass" and "white sword"

This is kind of unusual look for a strong sword.

So it is white and opaque and also strong. 

Is it made of zirconia?

And Is this possibly a parallel with "black sword" of Turin Turumbar?

His Black sword was also made of a fallen star. 

Turin killed a dragon using it. 

Turin killed himself using it. 

And Turin killed Morgoth using it in the Last Battle to save the world. 

By the way, Anglachel can talk. 

Is Dawn going to be something like this?

Dawn was made of fallen star. 

Somebody will use Dawn to kill a dragon. 

Somebody will use Dawn to save the world (Dawn is the lightbringer). 

Can Dawn talk?

Dawn cannot be lightbringer as it is not on fire and don't start with the "activated" discussions. There is not a single example of something being "activated" in the series except maybe the dragons 

But it was made from a shooting star, right? A shooting star is something like a flaming star. 

Dawn cannot be lightbringer as it is not on fire and don't start with the "activated" discussions. There is not a single example of something being "activated" in the series except maybe the dragons 

What do you mean? The text clearly states that Lightbringer would burn with flames WHEN AA was in battle.

Dawn was made of a fallen star, which I assume to be some kind of iron or rock. 

But Dawn was described as "milk-glass" and "white sword"

This is kind of unusual look for a strong sword.

So it is white and opaque and also strong. 

Is it made of zirconia?

And Is this possibly a parallel with "black sword" of Turin Turumbar?

His Black sword was also made of a fallen star. 

Turin killed a dragon using it. 

Turin killed himself using it. 

And Turin killed Morgoth using it in the Last Battle to save the world. 

By the way, Anglachel can talk. 

Is Dawn going to be something like this?

Dawn was made of fallen star. 

Somebody will use Dawn to kill a dragon. 

Somebody will use Dawn to save the world (Dawn is the lightbringer). 

Can Dawn talk?

Love the children of hurin reference i brought this up in a heresy thread a bit back i believe and got NO takers you should look into the legend of Kullervo its a finnish legend that tolkien based the story on.

I believe (not my theory, I must give credit to "Lucifer means Lighbringer") that this meteor was part of the debris caused by a comet colliding with a moon.

If this sort of thing interests you I highly recommend LMLs' essays. IMO absolutely brilliant.

i dunno if thats precise. Could be that a dayne was nissa nissa whos sigil is a shooting star. I mean its all legend and everything gets twisted around the longer the story goes.

True, we don't know for sure, these are ancient legends afterall. I just meant that's what the legend claims.

OP, Dawn also has somewhat similar characteristics to the swords used by the Others.  So it could be the sword of The Great Other (assuming there is one), given to men as part of the treaty ending the war, and sent south with House Dayne for safekeeping.  Let's face it, if the Others get as far south as Starfall, Westeros is seriously screwed.

But...I do like the idea that Darkstar might kill himself with it.  I'm hoping there's some hidden tragedy to explain him. 

Further thought: it wouldn't surprise me if GRRM set it up to look like Dawn is Lightbringer only to have it not be remotely useful in fighting the Others.

What do you mean? The text clearly states that Lightbringer would burn with flames WHEN AA was in battle.

It also says AAR is supposed to pull it from the flames, which should indicate that the hero will find it in a fire.  Or that he's a blacksmith and will pull it from the flames in which he's forging it.  But then that goes back to needing a new Lightbringer so...

I believe (not my theory, I must give credit to "Lucifer means Lighbringer") that this meteor was part of the debris caused by a comet colliding with a moon.

If this sort of thing interests you I highly recommend LMLs' essays. IMO absolutely brilliant.

yes, LML also has a theory about the Danes of Starfall, The Great Empire of the Dawn and soooo much more.  The best part is it all makes sense.

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/125669-the-astronomy-behind-the-legends-of-planetos/?p=6788378

yes, LML also has a theory about the Danes of Starfall, The Great Empire of the Dawn and soooo much more.  The best part is it all makes sense.

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/125669-the-astronomy-behind-the-legends-of-planetos/?p=6788378

Cool, I haven't seen that yet, thanks for the link.

But it was made from a shooting star, right? A shooting star is something like a flaming star. 

Yes, but there is no mention of dawn igniting during a melee 

Does it? Where is the quote. As far as I can can remember, there has been no mention of dawn being on fire so even if that is true, dawn =\= lightbringer 

Well he had to "activate" it by stabbing nissa nissa in the heart.

Does it? Where is the quote. As far as I can can remember, there has been no mention of dawn being on fire so even if that is true, dawn =\= lightbringer 

"In battle the blade burned fiery hot. Once Azor Ahai fought a monster. When he thrust the sword through the belly of the beast, its blood began to boil. Smoke and steam poured from its mouth, its eyes melted and dribbled down its cheeks, and its body burst into flame."

Yes, but there is no mention of dawn igniting during a melee 

As far as I can can remember, there has been no mention of dawn being on fire so even if that is true, dawn =\= lightbringer 

Yes, but there hasn't been any mention of Dawn being wielded in battle by AA either. So we don't know if it would burn under these circumstances.

Archived