Cricket 29: The Kings of Method Sledging

Xray the Enforcer

Fairly comfortable for England in the end. I missed most of the day so I don't know how tough conditions were but 300's not really an easily defended total anymore. England were batting very deep with Plunkett, Willey, Rashid and Wood as their bowlers as well.

Great catch from Maxwell to get Plunkett along the way though.

Fairly comfortable for England in the end. I missed most of the day so I don't know how tough conditions were but 300's not really an easily defended total anymore. England were batting very deep with Plunkett, Willey, Rashid and Wood as their bowlers as well.

Great catch from Maxwell to get Plunkett along the way though.

I think Australia took a while to recover from Willey's early breakthroughs, they'd have probably hoping for another 20 or 30 runs on that pitch. England do have a ridiculously long batting line-up now, not many teams would have Rashid (who sometimes bats in the middle-order) coming in at 10. I' still not entirely convinced by some of the England batting line-up, but Taylor and Morgan are in really good form.

Maxwell did have a great game, he batted very well and had two superb catches, the Plunkett catch looked like a six in real-time it was only in slow motion it was possible to see how cleverly he had timed things.

Catch is here if anyone hasn't seen it. It's hard to get a Headingley crowd to give a standing ovation to an Australian, but he seemed to manage it.

• 1 month later...

Man, Kiwis are getting brutalized. Those crappy umpire decisions have really cost them. This game could've been a lot more interesting if those decisions went the Kiwi's way and if the kiwis managed to hold onto those catches.

I thought the kiwi pace attack would've done a lot better than they have. It doesn't help that Warner is in the form of his life....

Edit: also, wth is up with Boult's pace? he is bowling shitty 130s...

Man what a day by warner interesting to see how he can back up tomorrow. Smith and warner to take the score to 550-600 maybe more and then have a session at the kiwis tomorrow after tea sounds like good viewing for aussies at least. Would love to see warner make a run at haydens 380.

Kiwis are batting well. Arguably their two best test batsmen on the pitch now.
Damn Williamson, looks just so damn solid.

edit: ffs, another ball change. Wtf is happening....

damn, Starc just had one of his fastest over, bowled a 160.4 kph...

and another ball change....jeez those are some shit balls or the pitch is concrete

Kane Williamson does seem pretty special. Even the Australian commentators can't help but praise him. Gutsy display from Ross Taylor too - love the maori tongue poking out thing he does when he passes a milestone and he got to do it more than once yesterday.

Well at least this game is looking likely to be a positively achieved draw, from the NZ perspective. Almost unthinkably NZ could achieve a first innings lead, and if they do that there is hardly going to be any time left for both teams to complete another innings each to have a result. when Aussie gets back in to bat they basically need to play T20 style to build up a sufficietnly defensible lead with most of a day to bowl at New Zealand. It will be interesting to see the approach the Aussie openers take when they get back out into the middle. Are they going to try to go for the win or are they just going to look to bat for time?

Unlikely, unfortunately. Cross fingers for a double fail in the 3rd test? 

Taylor has the fifth highest equal test innings for a visiting batsman in Aus. He's a good chance of at least getting to 3rd spot by scoring 252.

Archived