Fargo Season 2: you betcha!

Baitac

Complete rogue, I'm pretty sure. I imagine his "I'm tired of this life" line pertains to being an underling for any of the Gerhardts.Yeah, I've always enjoyed him on the screen. His whole "Satan is a woman" thing had me laughing. Like, time and a place, man.

Dodd trying to play the "victim card" and failing at it miserably, had me on the floor. The guy couldn't pretend to be nice even to say his own life, lol

Another goodun.  Hanzee completely lost it, that haircut bit was possibly the biggest Wtf moment of the season. Although Peggy's been one of the best characters I still hope she dies, I just wanna strangle her sometimes. Also sad to see Dodd go, he and Peggy absolutely killed it in this episode.

How did Hank and Lou get to the cabin so quickly?

Well, The Wire was a show about criminal investigations that also featured an increasingly broad focus on the city of Baltimore.  Season two moved it to the ports, but it didn't stop being a show about criminal investigations.  The backbone of the season was the investigation into Sabotka, which wasn't out of character for the show.

Fargo by its very nature is all about small northern towns, funny accents, and heinous crimes.  If you remove the northern setting and accents from the show, it ceases to be Fargo.  

^^^Agreed.

I was also wondering how Ed beat Hank and Lou to the house but with this show i'm half expecting a flashback showing Hank and Lou stopped in the road looking at some UFO lights, or maybe a big moose decided to block the road for a spell lolol?

I liked the little detail with the game of Hangman in the phone booth spelling out Sioux Falls.

I was laughing when Dodd was terrified of Peggy with the knife and Peggy and Ed both having a one-way conversation on the ride to the cabin.

I'm not sure what Hanzee's angle is, but he did seem awfully fed up with everyone he encountered on his hunt for Dodd.

This should be one hell of a season finale.

Anyone catch any extraterrestrial reference?

Wasn't there something in the front page of the newspaper?

So now that we know Lou and Hank did drive right to Ed and Peggy's, I'm back to wondering how Ed beat them there on foot. Also I'm probably forgetting something but how did Ed learn of his "Butcher of Laverne" nickname? 

Fair question. One possibility is that they went back to the police station to make sure everything was alright after Bear's siege, then driving back to Ed and Peggy's place.

Great episode again. Words fail in how much I love this show. Kirsten Dunst was fantastic.

I thought our alien reference was gonna be the film that Peggy was watching when Dodd escaped .... was that filmed specifically for this, or was it an actual film? Either way, I thought maybe the Nazi getting up after being shot meant he was an alien and it was some kind of classic sci-fi movie.

I thought our alien reference was gonna be the film that Peggy was watching when Dodd escaped .... was that filmed specifically for this, or was it an actual film? Either way, I thought maybe the Nazi getting up after being shot meant he was an alien and it was some kind of classic sci-fi movie.

It's a movie invented for the show called Operation: Eagles Nest. (The Eagle's Nest being a real thing.) Molly was watching it in an early episode, and if I remember right Reagan talks about it to Lou in the bathroom. 

Edit: Yeah in the bathroom in episode five Reagan can't remember if his character survived that movie. 

Might be my favourite episode so far. Ed, Peggy and Dodd in the Cabin were just hilarious and It's nice to see Hanzee just tired with putting up with people's shit (the racists, the disrespect about his war career, being just a tool to Dodd and the Army)

So was this seminar just an elaborate ruse on the part of Constance to get Peggy in a hotel room? Constance mentioned the seminar, collected the money, and she booked the hotel. Seems fishy. (Or maybe it was readily apparent earlier on and flew over my head, which is likely)

Oh no, I think the conference was absolutely genuine.  But the stuff that Constance had in the room, the candles, the wine, is an example of what makes me love this season so much.  I've just realized the whole season has been all about everyone's worst nightmare.  For Lou, his wife getting cancer right after his mother-in-law dies of cancer, and the same for Hank, his beloved daughter getting cancer after his wife dies.  For the Gerhardt family, a bigger family moving in on them and crushing them.  For individual Gerhardts, Floyd seeing her husband struck down by a stroke and then struck down by bullets, and her youngest dying (ask any mother...); for Rye, obviously the incompetent one, being such a failure he stands in the middle of a hallway and gets killed;  for Dodd, suckered by a woman then 'betrayed' by a foot soldier;  for Bear, his son taken away by the police and in jail and likely to stay there, and having to kill his niece (not to mention Simone's worst nightmare).  For Milligan, failing so badly that the Undertaker is sent for him, for the surviving Kitchen twin, the death of his brother (holy Weasley!).  And if he knew it, for Ed, having his wife seduced by a feminist lesbian!  Just perfect!  And poor Constance, opening the door expecting Peggy and getting a killer man instead...

So now that we know Lou and Hank did drive right to Ed and Peggy's, I'm back to wondering how Ed beat them there on foot. Also I'm probably forgetting something but how did Ed learn of his "Butcher of Laverne" nickname? 

I'm assuming they didn't live that far away, and he was running all the way.  You can do 4 miles in a brisk walk in an hour.  Lou and Hank went back to the police station, sorted everyone out, cleaned up Hank, I think, and then Hank said 'I should have checked on her'.  That probably took an hour.

Didn't Charlie ask Ed if he was the Butcher of Laverne, when he went to the shop to kill him?  I can't recall now.

When I was doing a quick search to check a name, I saw this article talking about the episode title, Loplop:

For most, feelings of emptiness and rampant confusion tend to spring up sometime in our 20s, when the demands of society and proper adulthood begin to well up. For surrealist German artist Max Ernst, these feelings crept in when he was about six years old. Following a series of traumatic events, the artist created an alter ego: Loplop, a bird that acted as both a manifestation of the chaos going on in his mind and as his source of inspiration. Loplop emerged from the mental conflicts Ernst was experiencing and as a result, the bird drove him to artistic encouragement and a sense of being.

Which is just what Peggy needs – sense of being. Or, at least, it’s what she thinks she needs. Over the course of a few episodes, Peggy Blomquist has gone from a slightly “touched” beautician afraid she’s not living up to her full potential to a murderer (the goon she snuffed with a sink, it was kinda glazed over but I assume he’s dead). The longing is still there – she even planned on keeping her plans for the Lifespring seminar after Ed was arrested/nearly killed – but that foggy desire piled on top of the sheer pandemonium in her life has culminated in the vision of a well-dressed man in her basement. It’s presumably John Hanley Sr., real life Lifespring founder and Peggy’s very own Loplop.
http://collider.com/fargo-recap-loplop-the-time-to-fully-actualize-is-now/

Didn't Charlie ask Ed if he was the Butcher of Laverne, when he went to the shop to kill him?  I can't recall now.

I don't think he did, but I wouldn't swear to it. I think he asked Noreen for Ed the butcher, and she corrected him that Ed is more of a butcher's assistant.

I don't think he did, but I wouldn't swear to it. I think he asked Noreen for Ed the butcher, and she corrected him that Ed is more of a butcher's assistant.

Did he read about himself in the news paper or did he learn his name at the police station? It's been a while, so I'm not sure myself, I'm just throwing out possibilities. 

Did he read about himself in the news paper or did he learn his name at the police station? It's been a while, so I'm not sure myself, I'm just throwing out possibilities. 

Probably one of those. Bear probably said something about it during the standoff. 

Archived