Fargo Season 2: you betcha!

Baitac

I was confused about the scene with the mafia guy, though.  Did he go to the mafia guy saying KC wiped out his family, the Gerhardts?  Or was this a suggestion he had always been in their pay and he undermined the Gerhardts?

No, Hanzee wasn't on the Kansas City Mob's payroll trying to undermine the Gerhardts. 

I'm still wondering if he was supposed to be Otto's bastard. (with the maid? But would Ricky from Buffalo not have already realized that Hanzee, not Milligan was the bastard with the maid?) 

Hidden Content

I don't buy this change. Race/face/hair aside, Mr Tripoli looks like a slobby-type dude who's in managerial position and has let himself go, none of which I can fathom Hanzee ever being or doing.

I can buy that part of it, as it is over twenty-five years later and he's presumably been the boss for a while. Why wouldn't he let himself go once he's older and in a position of comfort and power? 

plus Hanzee last night 

Tripoli in season 1 

definitely my least favorite development of the finale despite the joy I got from seeing a young wrench and numbers. I think I enjoyed Mike Milligan and the Solversons endings the most. 

I'm still not sure how I feel about it. Mr. Trippoli's odd manner of speaking always stuck with me and I thought they could have done more with him in season one. So I was sorta glad, but it does seem kinda...too much maybe. I mean at this point it's not really even an anthology series is it? There are some pretty direct links between the seasons. 

Season one spoilers:

I'm still wondering if they're going to semi-retcon his death (I don't think we ever see him die, but Malvo does tell Wrench he killed his boss.) and have him and Wrench in season three.

I can buy that part of it, as it is over twenty-five years later and he's presumably been the boss for a while. Why wouldn't he let himself go once he's older and in a position of comfort and power? 

He strikes me as the sort of person who would never let himself get soft, or get accustomed to a cushy lifestyle. Even if he was completely done with being a silent killer type, I can't imagine him turning into the dude we saw eating at that table.

Didn't Hanzee say "he was done" with this life. Pretty sure he meant it. Hanzee was a very smart man too, so I can see him rising to the head of the Fargo mob. Now considering that he was killed off screen leaves the door open if they ever want to bring him back.

Something about this finale irritated me, and in the same way the season 1 finale irritated me.  Such great seasons of tv and the final episode comes down with a bout of severe sexism.  Lou telling Peggy "people died" as a way to shut her up would have been fine, great even, but not when coupled with his "men must protect their wimmen-folk" speech.  It was as crappy as Gus getting all the credit after Molly had put in the work.  It just puts a bad taste in the mouth.

Still, lots of highlights.  I felt so sorry for dear old Mike there are the end.  

I haven't thought about it a great deal so I could be forgetting something, but off the top of my head that's the best season of television I've seen since Season 4 of The Wire. Loved it. The whole thing reeks of quality, with the added bonus that's it's just so much fun. You can feel the confidence of the show, the way it makes it look so effortless. The last three episodes alone have had completely different framing devices that any other show would never even think to change up.

I forget the exact wording of the interview, was it confirmed that Season 3 would return to the Season 1 period / setting? I wasn't sure whether the "rapid city all over again" line was just a nod to the first season, or whether they hadn't decided where they going with it so they left themselves some options. They've done such a great job at starting this season largely from scratch, it almost feels a shame not to have them do it again, and just return to the weaker (never thought I'd say that after I saw it of course) season.

I forget the exact wording of the interview, was it confirmed that Season 3 would return to the Season 1 period / setting?

Yes, a few years down the road from 2006.  Since they had Reagan this year, maybe McCain/Palin in 2008?  Or Obama, Clinton, Biden?

Probably not, "a few years" sounds like more than 2.

Yes, a few years down the road from 2006.  Since they had Reagan this year, maybe McCain/Palin in 2008?  Or Obama, Clinton, Biden?

Probably not, "a few years" sounds like more than 2.

I'm guessing 2011ish, since there were five candles on the kid's birthday cake in that flash forward. 

I'm guessing 2011ish, since there were five candles on the kid's birthday cake in that flash forward. 

You're just one year off. Season 3 will be taking place in 2010; so just 4 years after the events of season 1.

The article confirms that the season 1 characters will not be returning and answers a few lingering questions from season 2.

Sounds interesting, I'm glad it's another fresh cast again. 

Yeah as much as I'd love to see the season one cast again this was probably the way to go. I can't help but wonder who will end up appearing.  Milligan? He'd be like sixty. Same with Peggy, who would probably be out of jail long before 2010. 

Hawley also wants to ensure as much of the third season is written before shooting begins. “It’s also very important to me and the other producers that we separate the writing from production. We take our time and break the whole story, write eight of the 10 hours at least and we end up knowing exactly what we’re doing and exactly what the whole story is. 

Amen. I don't understand why most shows still seem to be making it up as they go along. 

Just watched it and it was really well done, but I am kind of torn on the Hanzee development. It seemed a little too forced but it is a pretty cool twist at the same time. I totally missed that the two kids were Wrench and Numbers and that's awesome. Poor Mike Milligan, thought he would be King but he's just gonna be like everyone else...a cruel twist of fate. Sucks that it's over with.

Well, I find the idea of Hanzee being Tripoli to be just a bit far fetched.  Goes with the UFO territory, I guess. :P

Besides, Tripoli has a full beard, and while there are some native people who can grow beards, there are very, very few who can grow full beards like his.

Ah, well.  Killed by Malvo in the end.

Well, I find the idea of Hanzee being Tripoli to be just a bit far fetched.  Goes with the UFO territory, I guess. :P

Besides, Tripoli has a full beard, and while there are some native people who can grow beards, there are very, very few who can grow full beards like his.

Ah, well.  Killed by Malvo in the end.

Wasn't he supposed to be mixed though? Dodd was always calling him "half breed."

Archived