Fargo Season 2: you betcha!

Baitac

5 minutes ago, RumHam said:

It's not just a theory, they confirmed it in interviews after. 

Ah, ok. Seems a bit underwhelming unless they have a later season filling in the blanks. He didn't play that big a role in season 1

On 4/27/2016 at 9:49 PM, red snow said:

Ah, ok. Seems a bit underwhelming unless they have a later season filling in the blanks. He didn't play that big a role in season 1

I think the next season is set a few years ahead of season 1. Might be wrong.

EIther, I don't mind the Hanzy thing, its like a bit of an Easter Egg if you recognise him.. its not something I need a whole season to know about.

1 hour ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

I think the next season is set a few years ahead of season 1. Might be wrong.

EIther, I don't mind the Hanzy thing, its like a bit of an Easter Egg if you recognise him.. its not something I need a whole season to know about.

Certainly not but it would be fun to see him pop up now we know who he is. I don't know how many seasons they plan to run for but they seem to be establishing they can pick any decade.

17 hours ago, red snow said:

Certainly not but it would be fun to see him pop up now we know who he is. I don't know how many seasons they plan to run for but they seem to be establishing they can pick any decade.

I believe he's supposed to be dead. Malvo tells Mr. Wrench he killed his boss. I think they may have confirmed it in an interview but I'd have to search tomorrow. I mean it hasn't been explicitly confirmed on the show itself so if they really wanted to bring him back they could. But I doubt it. I do think we'll see Wrench again. 

7 hours ago, RumHam said:

I believe he's supposed to be dead. Malvo tells Mr. Wrench he killed his boss. I think they may have confirmed it in an interview but I'd have to search tomorrow. I mean it hasn't been explicitly confirmed on the show itself so if they really wanted to bring him back they could. But I doubt it. I do think we'll see Wrench again. 

I'm pretty sure he is dead. What I meant was there could be a season set between season 1 and 2 at some stage in which he isn't dead.

Did I miss them establishing how the money wound up in the field in season 1? That seems like something worth covering?

1 hour ago, red snow said:

Did I miss them establishing how the money wound up in the field in season 1? That seems like something worth covering?

IIRC, that was in the movie. I believe Steve Buscemi's character buries it in the snow and marks it with the red ice scraper.

1 hour ago, red snow said:

I'm pretty sure he is dead. What I meant was there could be a season set between season 1 and 2 at some stage in which he isn't dead.

My mistake I misunderstood. But yeah Matt B is right about the buried money. 

• 3 weeks later...

http://deadline.com/2016/05/ewan-mcgregor-cast-lead-fargo-fx-1201760430/

Ewan McGregor is the latest feature actor to topline an installment of FX’s Emmy-winning anthology series Fargo. McGregor will play the two central characters — brothers Emmit and Ray Stussy — in the upcoming third season, which is supposed to be set closer to present day than the first two installments

Not really. Billy Bob's real period in the limelight was a decade ago (or more) now, so doing Fargo was a bit of a late-career boost. Freeman I'd say has been bigger for the films and shows he's been in rather than him standing out as an actor himself. McGregor has been around a lot longer and is still making relatively big movies, so I'd landing him was their biggest coup to date.

Kirsten Dunst was a pretty big name as well. BBT obviously has the awards and the prestige, and McGregor played an iconic character, but I'd say Freeman was the biggest star at the actual time the show was on. Sherlock, The Hobbit, etc.

Anyway, I like the casting of McGregor. Haven't seen him in anything good since Beginners.  He's due.

I did say "arguably" :P

I think Dunst is probably the most comparable given she's never really done TV (McGregor had his motorbike documentary but that was clearly because it was a hobby job) although as far as genre films are concerned McGregor is more popular. Freeman has always had his foot in TV so despite being quite noticeable it didn't seem like a shock. BBT seemed at that stage in his career where a good TV role could boost things for him. I guess McGregor might be at that stage where he needs a profile boost (as long as the Obi Wan films remain just rumours) but he has trainspotting 2 next year. Then again TV is more of a prestige format than film these days so I doubt many actors consider it a step down these days - especially those who are in it for the art of things. The first two seasons strongly suggest it's the kind of show actors want to be part of and it seems less risky than being in a season of "true detective".

I'm really interested in seeing what McGregor can do with characters that will presumably get 10 hours of screen time.

22 hours ago, Mark Antony said:

I don't agree. I can't even remember the last thing I saw Mcgregor in tbh.  He's mostly known for being the best part of the prequels and the guy from trainspotting. 

Depends where you are from. In Britain he's still an A List movie star. Think his career has come off the rails slightly, but he was in the very decent Impossible. 

I do like that Fargo tends to get in actors you would assume would only do movies. Shows how far TV has come.

As for movie vs television actor in this era of peak tv see this Vulture article:

http://www.vulture.com/2016/05/peak-tv-business-c-v-r.html

The payday for movie actors doing television is big, but the time committed is far less, so they are able to do other projects, including films, collecting even more money than before.

Archived