Do the Mountain Clans Abandon Stannis?

StarkofWinterfell

If, or let's say when the northern mountain clans find out that "Arya" or Jeyne Poole is a fake, do they abandon Stannis? They no longer have any reason to fight for him so what would be keeping them around?

And what would this mean for his eventual battle at Winterfell? 

If, or let's say when the northern mountain clans find out that "Arya" or Jeyne Poole is a fake, do they abandon Stannis? They no longer have any reason to fight for him so what would be keeping them around?

And what would this mean for his eventual battle at Winterfell? 

I hope they abandon that pompous tool. They will continue the fight but will follow Jon Snow or the Umbers.

I tend to believe in some form of Northern conspiracy. Not specially because i want to see it happen, but i think that is what is set in motion. I'm not entirely clear on who will lead eventually even, although i wouldn't even be that surprised that it turns out Lady Dustin does pull some serious strings in it. What i'm fairly sure of is that the North is using Stannis and Bolton to weaken eachother, so once they have hacked into eachother, the North can reunite against the victor of that first battle. 

I think finally Lady Dustin will betray Bolton at a time he trusts her quite well. Bolton needs her allegiance. If Bolton doesn't have her at his side he looses the Houses Dustin and Ryswell and any ofthe houses that came with them, and he basicly will be left with with the Frey's. and we all know how 'loved' and 'competent' they are. 

I'm even thinking that Barbrey Dustin knows much more than she let's on. At this point i'm even starting to doubt if she really does hate Eddard Stark that hard. The reason for that is that she overplays that hatred, which makes her a suitable ally for anyone who wants to overtake the North. Although I do have to admit that it's hard to believe that she is actually that big of an actress that all the hate is feigned. But even if she has a grudge towards Eddard, this doesn't mean she has a grudge against House Stark in general. And her playing out her grudge towards Eddard's former actions, might still conceal very well her loyalties to the the Starks as Kings of Winter and Kings of the North. She's not stupid at all, and might be aware much more of the bigger picture and the history of the North. This makes her grudge towards Eddard the perfect cover.

The North remembers... and they might be slowly working toward a trap that was set much earlier. Stannis and Bolton are the ones caught up in that trap and  they just aren't seeing that yet. I think the North is just letting them engage with eachother so they can weaken their strengths while the North becomes stronger. 

From here on i'm going quite on the tinfoil hat./crackpot theory road: 

I've been thinking about Barbrey Dustin's role a lot as of late, and i'm not so sure about her. Sometimes i think that it might have been possible that Eddard told her more about some of the implications of ToJ (not about Jon and his parentage), more about the battle. Maybe Eddard revealed something about these events and the role of William Dustin in it all, maybe it was some future implications that Howland had revealed to Eddard (don't forget that Howland did go to the Isle of Faces, which might be where he saw some things of the future through weirwoods). But sometimes i think Eddard revealed some things to her, but then also made her take an oath infront of a weirwood tree. This might be something where Barbrey's hate would become even more feigned than we'd suspect. It just feels like she knows something more, and it might have been Eddard who revealed it to her long ago. This isn't supported by anything in the text, but i've considered that it could be one of the things that followed from ToJ. I get that Barbrey is offended by Eddard not returning the bones of William Dustin, but i think there was more to it. I think Barbrey would have demanded a serious explanation, and i don't see Ned just witholding  information about his reasons or actions to the widow of his former bannerman. 

What i'm trying to say is that to me it seems very odd for someone like Eddard Stark to not return the bones of his most loyal bannerman. He seems to be all about honor, respect, responsability and loyalty. This makes it hard for me to accept that he would not take the bones home of those men without a good reason. It doesn't seem much, and it's something that is easy to ovelook and dismiss as unimportant, but that kind of act coming from Ned is really odd. Especially because it looks like he had the time and the means to take back those bones. So, this makes me wonder if there was more to it. Thing is that i sometimes think there is much more to it. Personally i think there is a good reason to believe Ashara Dayne's death was staged, and that she is still alive. If that is the case, it isn't that far a stretch to consider that Barbrey might have gotten the privilege to be in on some info too. Thing is i can't pinpoint it or prove any of it, so i'm going to leave this as it is and chalk it up as a consideration. 

But before you go bashing in on that tought, consider that the implications of it might be quite big. If Barbrey was in on some info she got from Eddard a while ago, her role might still have much more to it then we all think. Still, it's not essential that she is in on info that she had gotten from Ned, to still be a spy in the camp of Roose Bolton. She has said and done several things that make me think she is a spy/traitor just waiting for the right moment to give Bolton the final push into his own demise as ruler of the North. Her pulling back from him and turning on him at the right time, can be a devastating blow  to Roose's power over the North. Since she's so crucial to Bolton, such an action from her side might unravel Roose's grip on the North completely. 

I tend to believe in some form of Northern conspiracy. Not specially because i want to see it happen, but i think that is what is set in motion. I'm not entirely clear on who will lead eventually even, although i wouldn't even be that surprised that it turns out Lady Dustin does pull some serious strings in it. What i'm fairly sure of is that the North is using Stannis and Bolton to weaken eachother, so once they have hacked into eachother, the North can reunite against the victor of that first battle. 

I think finally Lady Dustin will betray Bolton at a time he trusts her quite well. Bolton needs her allegiance. If Bolton doesn't have her at his side he looses the Houses Dustin and Ryswell and any ofthe houses that came with them, and he basicly will be left with with the Frey's. and we all know how 'loved' and 'competent' they are. 

I'm even thinking that Barbrey Dustin knows much more than she let's on. At this point i'm even starting to doubt if she really does hate Eddard Stark that hard. The reason for that is that she overplays that hatred, which makes her a suitable ally for anyone who wants to overtake the North. Although I do have to admit that it's hard to believe that she is actually that big of an actress that all the hate is feigned. But even if she has a grudge towards Eddard, this doesn't mean she has a grudge against House Stark in general. And her playing out her grudge towards Eddard's former actions, might still conceal very well her loyalties to the the Starks as Kings of Winter and Kings of the North. She's not stupid at all, and might be aware much more of the bigger picture and the history of the North. This makes her grudge towards Eddard the perfect cover.

The North remembers... and they might be slowly working toward a trap that was set much earlier. Stannis and Bolton are the ones caught up in that trap and  they just aren't seeing that yet. I think the North is just letting them engage with eachother so they can weaken their strengths while the North becomes stronger. 

From here on i'm going quite on the tinfoil hat./crackpot theory road: 

I've been thinking about Barbrey Dustin's role a lot as of late, and i'm not so sure about her. Sometimes i think that it might have been possible that Eddard told her more about some of the implications of ToJ (not about Jon and his parentage), more about the battle. Maybe Eddard revealed something about these events and the role of William Dustin in it all, maybe it was some future implications that Howland had revealed to Eddard (don't forget that Howland did go to the Isle of Faces, which might be where he saw some things of the future through weirwoods). But sometimes i think Eddard revealed some things to her, but then also made her take an oath infront of a weirwood tree. This might be something where Barbrey's hate would become even more feigned than we'd suspect. It just feels like she knows something more, and it might have been Eddard who revealed it to her long ago. This isn't supported by anything in the text, but i've considered that it could be one of the things that followed from ToJ. I get that Barbrey is offended by Eddard not returning the bones of William Dustin, but i think there was more to it. I think Barbrey would have demanded a serious explanation, and i don't see Ned just witholding  information about his reasons or actions to the widow of his former bannerman. 

What i'm trying to say is that to me it seems very odd for someone like Eddard Stark to not return the bones of his most loyal bannerman. He seems to be all about honor, respect, responsability and loyalty. This makes it hard for me to accept that he would not take the bones home of those men without a good reason. It doesn't seem much, and it's something that is easy to ovelook and dismiss as unimportant, but that kind of act coming from Ned is really odd. Especially because it looks like he had the time and the means to take back those bones. So, this makes me wonder if there was more to it. Thing is that i sometimes think there is much more to it. Personally i think there is a good reason to believe Ashara Dayne's death was staged, and that she is still alive. If that is the case, it isn't that far a stretch to consider that Barbrey might have gotten the privilege to be in on some info too. Thing is i can't pinpoint it or prove any of it, so i'm going to leave this as it is and chalk it up as a consideration. 

But before you go bashing in on that tought, consider that the implications of it might be quite big. If Barbrey was in on some info she got from Eddard a while ago, her role might still have much more to it then we all think. Still, it's not essential that she is in on info that she had gotten from Ned, to still be a spy in the camp of Roose Bolton. She has said and done several things that make me think she is a spy/traitor just waiting for the right moment to give Bolton the final push into his own demise as ruler of the North. Her pulling back from him and turning on him at the right time, can be a devastating blow  to Roose's power over the North. Since she's so crucial to Bolton, such an action from her side might unravel Roose's grip on the North completely. 

Ah yes I do tend to think that Lady Dustin has something up her sleeve. She as a lot of "screen time" in the books to indicate she will play a greater role. She could be feigning loyalty to the Boltons currently to protect her House until a Stark comes along and seizes power again but as of right now, Rickon is too young to rule. He would need a regent.

Could Lady Dustin be that regent?

I think this would depend on the willingness of the North to declare their independence from the IT and support whomever is in Robb's will or another Northern leader that they declare "King of the North".  Attacking Stannis does not make sense to me unless they plan to stay a separate "country".  

If they want to remain in the 7 kingdoms, they most likely will continue to help Stannis.   

That seemed to amuse the northman. "I want to live forever in a land where summer lasts a thousand years. I want a castle in the clouds where I can look down over the world. I want to be six-and-twenty again. When I was six-and-twenty I could fight all day and fuck all night. What men want does not matter.
"Winter is almost upon us, boy. And winter is death. I would sooner my men die fighting for the Ned's little girl than alone and hungry in the snow, weeping tears that freeze upon their cheeks. No one sings songs of men who die like that. As for me, I am old. This will be my last winter. Let me bathe in Bolton blood before I die. I want to feel it spatter across my face when my axe bites deep into a Bolton skull. I want to lick it off my lips and die with the taste of it on my tongue."
"Aye!" shouted Morgan Liddle. "Blood and battle!" Then all the hillmen were shouting, banging their cups and drinking horns on the table, filling the king's tent with the clangor.

The mountain clans want to kill Boltons. As long as Stannis is still battling the Boltons they're going to support him

Stannis has come to the defense of the Nights Watch, is clearing out the Ironborn, and plans to defeat the Boltons for what they did at the RW.

From his actions alone, Stannis has more honor than any of these pathetic northerners.

Only cowardly pieces of shits like the Boltons would turn on Stannis after all hes done for the north, which is MORE than any northern lord has done.

(f)Arya has stood up to any test from a noble so far. Her reveal won't be for quite some time

Which is weird. Mors Umber remembers the name of Winterfell's Steward, Smith and Cook but cant remember that Arya looks nothing like Jeyne?? Whats up with that?? The Umbers also quickly recognized Theon even in his tortured state - its just a bit odd that they dont recognize FArya.

Stannis has come to the defense of the Nights Watch, is clearing out the Ironborn, and plans to defeat the Boltons for what they did at the RW.

From his actions alone, Stannis has more honor than any of these pathetic northerners.

Only cowardly pieces of shits like the Boltons would turn on Stannis after all hes done for the north, which is MORE than any northern lord has done.

He cowardly ran from King's Landing when his brother and king needed him. He also cowardly assassinated his other brother rather than facing him on the battlefield. He lost the most important battle in the war. 

The Starks have been the overlords of the North for thousands of years. Numerous Stark kings and lords have protected the north from incursions by wildings and invasions from the south.

Stannis is nothing compared to the legacy the Starks have. As long as he remains useful to the Northern cause, he will continue to receive assistance from the Northerners. If not, he can always try his luck with the Southerners. 

Which is weird. Mors Umber remembers the name of Winterfell's Steward, Smith and Cook but cant remember that Arya looks nothing like Jeyne?? Whats up with that?? The Umbers also quickly recognized Theon even in his tortured state - its just a bit odd that they dont recognize FArya.

Not that I take Preston Jacobs that seriously, but his version of the GNC does point out that Mors Umber is probably lying/withholding information as he notes some flaws in Mors' story

He cowardly ran from King's Landing when his brother and king needed him. He also cowardly assassinated his other brother rather than facing him on the battlefield. He lost the most important battle in the war. 

The Starks have been the overlords of the North for thousands of years. Numerous Stark kings and lords have protected the north from incursions by wildings and invasions from the south.

Stannis is nothing compared to the legacy the Starks have. As long as he remains useful to the Northern cause, he will he receive assistance from the Northerners. However, if he attempts to do anything that they perceive will not benefit, then he will lose their support.

1.We dont know if Stannis killed Renly, but if he did his brother was planning to the same thing.He ran awayfrom kings landing to plan his next move, and not risking his life,because if he dies he is useless.
2.Stannis has done more for the north than Robb and even Ned,he stopped a wilding invasion and kicked the IB. And is fighting the enemeies of the Starks, the overlords of the North that has protected them from centuries. If the northmen betray Stannis, they would be splitting to the only ruler that has taken care for them in the series of ASOIAF.

Numerous Stark kings and lords have protected the north from incursions by wildings and invasions from the south.

Not exactly the case in the year 300, eh?

It's silly to compare legacy of House Stark with Stannis because it completely misses the point. Northmen really benefitted from his actions. If they will act loyal or at least grateful towards him is doesn't change that.

1.We dont know if Stannis killed Renly, but if he did his brother was planning to the same thing.He ran awayfrom kings landing to plan his next move, and not risking his life,because if he dies he is useless.
2.Stannis has done more for the north than Robb and even Ned,he stopped a wilding invasion and kicked the IB. And is fighting the enemeies of the Starks, the overlords of the North that has protected them from centuries. If the northmen betray Stannis, they would be splitting to the only ruler that has taken care for them in the series of ASOIAF.

He failed to do his duty to Robert and fled cowardly. 

Stannis is not their ruler. He is an ally. He has not done more than Ned has. Ned led the North in battles and won a war. He ruled the North well for 15 years.

Once his use to them has passed, they will no longer support him.

Not exactly the case in the year 300, eh?

It's silly to compare legacy of House Stark with Stannis because it completely misses the point. Northmen really benefitted from his actions. If they will act loyal or at least grateful towards him is doesn't change that.

He also killed Renly. Did the North benefit from that action? I wonder how the Northmen will feel if they learn that he burned the godswood at Storm's End.

He failed to do his duty to Robert and fled cowardly. 

Stannis is not their ruler. He is an ally. He has not done more than Ned has. Ned led the North in battles and won a war. He ruled the North well for 15 years.

Ned won a war for his family, not for the northmen, unlike Stannis defeating the IB and wildings.Never question Ned's ability to rule.
Stannis fled because he thought that they would kill him, so he chose to plan everything from a safe place, he is more useful alive than death. It is pretty simple and practical.

Changing sides & calculating, opportunistic behavior towards a man who repelled  the Wildlings, kicked out Ironborn from Deepwood Motte and went through hell to give them revenge on Boltons?

If that'll be the case, the Northmen aren't worth much, I guess...

Archived