Small Questions v.10103

Jon Weirgaryen

Is indigo Rhaegar's official eye color? because both JonCon and Cersei calls his eyes purple and Dany tho she doesn't know it's Rhaegar calls his eyes indigo. 

And is indigo more purple or more blue? 

Purple is a very purple blue. The RGBIV color between Blue and Violet.

This may help: http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Purple_eyes

And this description about Rhaegar: Prince Rhaegar was tall and handsome, having dark indigo eyes and the silver hair of the Targaryens, worn long. Many say that Rhaegar was beautiful.

It is often said that the purple eyes sometimes are so dark that they look grey or black.

Cersei has this thought of Rhaegar: "When she had been presented to him, Cersei had almost drowned in the depths of his sad purple eyes."

Jon SNow is said to have "grey eyes so dark they border on black"

Tyrion notices this about fAegon's eyes: "Those eyes of his would melt them. Like his sire, Young Griff had blue eyes, but where the father's eyes were pale, the son's were dark. By lamplight they turned black, and in the light of dusk they seemed purple. His eyelashes were as long as any woman's."

Don't think it's stated, but I believe it's an almost certainty he did.   Thinking on it, it is weird that Jaime never recalls the fighting, or that Ser Barristan didn't put it in Jaime's White Book entry. 

Barristan wrote very little about Jaime in the White Book, a clear show of how Barristan felt about Jaime.

It is also possible that Cersei demanded Jaime remain behind in KL, to protect her and Joffrey. Especially if she had already been pregnant with Myrcella at the time (depending on when in the following year Myrcella was born). Or, this was when Myrcella was conceived.

I can't recall Jaime remembering having been at Pyke, or elsewhere in the fighting, nor anyone remembering his presence.

Is being the Lord of Harrenhal a big deal? I know it's the seat of Kings but the castle is HUGE and monstrously difficult and costly to maintain and near impossible to garrison.. half the characters and readers think it's pointless but the other half think it's amazing..

Just wanted to hear some opinions on what people think and what you would do if you were the Lord of Harrenhal..?

Barristan wrote very little about Jaime in the White Book, a clear show of how Barristan felt about Jaime.

Yea, thinking on it more, it's definitely possible or probable Jaime wasn't there.  I Jaime were there, Jaime would have killed a few ironman and probably stood out among the thousands of knights who fought.  I think Barristan would at least put "Jaime fought bravely for his Brother and King at Pyke," despite hating him. 

Yea, thinking on it more, it's definitely possible or probable Jaime wasn't there.  I Jaime were there, Jaime would have killed a few ironman and probably stood out among the thousands of knights who fought.  I think Barristan would at least put "Jaime fought bravely for his Brother and King at Pyke," despite hating him.

It is really just as likely that entries for Jaime were not made after he disgraced himself by breaking his vow, killing Aerys.  Barristan, who was responsible for the White Book, may have considered Jaime to be not of the Kingsguard after the war, when he was making his greatest accomplishments in the tourneys. 

In AGoT,  Maester Aemon tells Jon about the conflicts between his wants and his vows. 

Three times the gods saw fit to test my vows. Once when I was a boy, once in the fullness of my manhood, and once when I had grown old. By then my strength was fled, my eyes grown dim, yet that last choice was as cruel as the first. My ravens would bring the news from the south, words darker than their wings, the ruin of my House, the death of my kin, disgrace and desolation. What could I have done, old, blind, frail? I was helpless as a suckling babe, yet still it grieved me to sit forgotten as they cut down my brother’s poor grandson, and his son, and even the little children …

I guess the second time was when he refused the Iron Throne. And of course the third time was during Robert's Rebellion. But do we know when he was first tested?

In AGoT,  Maester Aemon tells Jon about the conflicts between his wants and his vows. 

I guess the second time was when he refused the Iron Throne. And of course the third time was during Robert's Rebellion. But do we know when he was first tested?

I think that may have something to do with the tragedy at Summerhall

Sorry guys, non-English speaker's question.

This part from World, does it mean Daeron wanted to wed Sealord's sister, or did he want to wed his own sister to Sealord?

Young Dragon intended to wed a sister to the Sealord of Braavos to seal an alliance with him, with the aim of removing the pirates that were hindering trade with the newly conquered Dorne.

Sorry guys, non-English speaker's question.

This part from World, does it mean Daeron wanted to wed Sealord's sister, or did he want to wed his own sister to Sealord?

I'm not a native English speaker, but "to the Sealord".. I take that to mean that he wanted to marry one of his own sisters to the Sealord.. So either Rhaena or Elaena (seeing as Daena was already married or betrothed to Baelor at the time). 

At least, as per my understanding

I'm not a native English speaker, but "to the Sealord".. I take that to mean that he wanted to marry one of his own sisters to the Sealord.. So either Rhaena or Elaena (seeing as Daena was already married or betrothed to Baelor at the time). 

At least, as per my understanding

Thanks.

I asked because of discussion on Russian forum. One wondered why Daeron didn't marry Daena himself, clearly Daena loved him, and Baelor didn't love Daena at all. Some people said he was betrothed to Sealord's sister, quoting this part of World.

So, if Daeron had been betrothed to Sealord's sister, this mystery would be resolved...

But if it was Rhaena... Well, then mystery remains.

Thanks.

I asked because of discussion on Russian forum. One wondered why Daeron didn't marry Daena himself, clearly Daena loved him, and Baelor didn't love Daena at all. Some people said he was betrothed to Sealord's sister, quoting this part of World.

So, if Daeron had been betrothed to Sealord's sister, this mystery would be resolved...

But if it was Rhaena... Well, than mystery remains.

Daena and Baelor were married in 160 AC, but we don't know when they were betrothed. That might have been done by Aegon III, it might have been done by Daeron I.

If it was Daeron who arranged the betrothal and later marriage of Baelor to Daena, he might have done so because he wished to marry a noble girl from another family (either in Westeros or, imo more likely, in Essos), as to make an alliance (like he would try with his sister and the Sealord of Braavos) which could help him in his later military achievements.

It is really just as likely that entries for Jaime were not made after he disgraced himself by breaking his vow, killing Aerys.  Barristan, who was responsible for the White Book, may have considered Jaime to be not of the Kingsguard after the war, when he was making his greatest accomplishments in the tourneys. 

I also can't imagine that Robert would go off to war and leave Cersei and Joffrey (his heir) without Kingsguard protection.  My guess is that Jaime was assigned that task - perhaps at Cersei's own request. 

Daena and Baelor were married in 160 AC, but we don't know when they were betrothed. That might have been done by Aegon III, it might have been done by Daeron I.

If it was Daeron who arranged the betrothal and later marriage of Baelor to Daena, he might have done so because he wished to marry a noble girl from another family (either in Westeros or, imo more likely, in Essos), as to make an alliance (like he would try with his sister and the Sealord of Braavos) which could help him in his later military achievements.

Yep.

We just needed English speakers' confirmation if it was really Daeron's sister, who was engaged to Braavosi Sealord. We are still hesitating how to translate this part of text.

Archived