Small Questions v.10103

Jon Weirgaryen

Where is stated that Illyrio and Varys were planning to invade Westeros with the Dothrakis for Aegon to save them? Can't find it. t.i.a.

(I can only find the GC saying that Viserys was supposed to join them with the Dothrakis).

That is, I think, still a theory at this point. It would have the benefit of having Westeros see a mad Targaryen (Viserys) be defeated by a good Targaryen (Aegon), making way for renewed acceptance of Targaryen rule, as well as showing that there are good Targaryens left in the world. In addition, it would remove Viserys out of the line of succession, as apparently, he was ahead of succession of Aegon

That is, I think, still a theory at this point. It would have the benefit of having Westeros see a mad Targaryen (Viserys) be defeated by a good Targaryen (Aegon), making way for renewed acceptance of Targaryen rule, as well as showing that there are good Targaryens left in the world. In addition, it would remove Viserys out of the line of succession, as apparently, he was ahead of succession of Aegon

Thanks. bc I've seen it been used as a fact (even by myself, I must admit), and I started to have my doubts. The GC guy's words seem to contradict this, though.

Thanks. bc I've seen it been used as a fact (even by myself, I must admit), and I started to have my doubts. The GC guy's words seem to contradict this, though.

When I first came to this forum, I saw that theory and thought ot was ludicrous. Why on earth would you give your rival a bigger army? If the Golden Company could defeat Drogo's horde then I would think a couple of the Seven Kingdoms would too. And wouldn't you risk uniting the Seven Kingdoms against a common enemy?

^I could be misremembering, but didn't Bittersteal pick up Blackfyre and then fight Bloodraven who had Darksister?

And no we have not heard of Valyrian steal simply breaking, Daemon had Darksister on his dragon when he fell presumably thousands of feet, and the sword was recovered undamaged.

Bloodraven and Bittersteel fought, but I don't think it is mentioned that Bittersteel was wielding Blackfyre at the time.

My question is about Grand Maester Gerardys. I remember some discussion regarding his being fed to Sunfyre, and seem to recall a bit of an issue having been noticed. Can someone remind me what the problem was please? (And whether it was resolved)

Bloodraven and Bittersteel fought, but I don't think it is mentioned that Bittersteel was wielding Blackfyre at the time.

My question is about Grand Maester Gerardys. I remember some discussion regarding his being fed to Sunfyre, and seem to recall a bit of an issue having been noticed. Can someone remind me what the problem was please? (And whether it was resolved)

In TPaTQ , author wrote "Gerardys" instead of "Orwyle".

Orwyle was Grand Maester for Viserys and Aegon II. He was Daemon's spy in green council.

Gerardys was Dragonstone's maester, and later Black Grand Maester for Rhaenyra. He was fed to dragon when Aegon sacked Dragonstone and killled Rhaenyra.

When I first came to this forum, I saw that theory and thought ot was ludicrous. Why on earth would you give your rival a bigger army? If the Golden Company could defeat Drogo's horde then I would think a couple of the Seven Kingdoms would too. And wouldn't you risk uniting the Seven Kingdoms against a common enemy?

Yea, this plan ventures into 'impossible to predict the variables accurately' territory. The Dothraki invading at all was only gonna happen in the brief period between Dany's assassination attempt and Drogo's death. So the plan was to marry Dany to Drogo, hope she retained the desire to invade Westeros, time an assassination and the letter preventing it to the day so that Drogo was angered enough to invade, then hope the entirely untested hypothesis that a Dothraki army could defeat the armies of Westeros turns out to be true, and also, crucially, that it's true just enough for them to win but be close enough that the Dothraki would be fatigued enough that Aegon's army could still defeat them? Nah.

Sadly, I feel the same way about Tywin engineering romance from thousands of miles away but that apparently is canon now. So who can say.

I just started another re-read of ASOIAF.  I always find something new.  This time in Bran's very first chapter in aGoT...

I'm paraphrasing, but he thinks about Ned about to execute Gared and he thinks if this is the same person who sits by the fire and talks of the Age of Heroes and the children of the forest.  

But in a Storm of Swords when Meera and Jojen tell the knight of the laughing tree story, Bran tells them that his father didn't tell stories, only Old Nan did.

Anyway I thought this was interesting.

Sadly, I feel the same way about Tywin engineering romance from thousands of miles away but that apparently is canon now. So who can say.

Wait, was that confirmed?

I've never loved that theory, but I will note that it has an advantage over the Dothraki invasion idea, which is that if it didn't work Tywin would lose approximately nothing.

Wait, was that confirmed?

I've never loved that theory, but I will note that it has an advantage over the Dothraki invasion idea, which is that if it didn't work Tywin would lose approximately nothing.

Apparently the WoIaF app is canon, and there are numerous entries (Jeyne Westerling, her parents, a few others) that state that Tywin ordered them to spark a romance between Robb and Jeyne. I much prefer the idea that he was told that it was already happening and greased the wheels a little, instead of Robb just falling for whichever female got shoved under his nose. Maybe Tywin could have just dressed up in drag like Bugs Bunny used to do to Elmer Fudd and have him smitten on the spot.

I just started another re-read of ASOIAF.  I always find something new.  This time in Bran's very first chapter in aGoT...

I'm paraphrasing, but he thinks about Ned about to execute Gared and he thinks if this is the same person who sits by the fire and talks of the Age of Heroes and the children of the forest.  

But in a Storm of Swords when Meera and Jojen tell the knight of the laughing tree story, Bran tells them that his father didn't tell stories, only Old Nan did.

Anyway I thought this was interesting.

A great thead for these kinds of things is Wow, I never noticed that. Here's a link to the latest thread...

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/133790-wow-i-never-noticed-that-v-13/

When was Dany conceived and born?

Because I remember GRRM saying she was born 8-9 months after Jon and that was after the rebellion and the rebellion raged a year.

But Aerys raped Rhaella after burning the Starks and other lords and that's when she would have been conceived right? Because the next day didn't Jaime say that Rhaella was sent to Dragonstone so she and Viserys should have been there the whole the whole rebellion which raged a year right? So how could Dany have been born 9 months after the rebellion when Rhaella was in Dragonstone for the whole rebellion or was she?

Because I remember GRRM saying she was born 8-9 months after Jon and that was after the rebellion and the rebellion raged a year.

But Aerys raped Rhaella after burning the Starks and other lords and that's when she would have been conceived right? Because the next day didn't Jaime say that Rhaella was sent to Dragonstone so she and Viserys should have been there the whole the whole rebellion which raged a year right? So how could Dany have been born 9 months after the rebellion when Rhaella was in Dragonstone for the whole rebellion or was she?

Rhaella was sent to Dragonstone after the Battle of the Trident and she was pregnant by then (according to the World Book).

It wasn't after the execution of Rickard, but after the execution of Lord Chelsted, towards the end of the rebellion. Shortly after, a pregnant Rhaella was send to Dragonstone.

Dany was born some nine months after the flight to Dragonstone. The flight itself was shortly after the Battle of the Trident.

Greetings! I have a question concerning bastards. Are there any cases, when they live along with official children(except Jon Snow of course and great bastards of Aegon IV)? It's started from a discussion in another forum, that taking Jon to Winterfell was really unusual and with this act Ned showed disrespect to his wife, did he? I'm trying to defend Ned..

Greetings! I have a question concerning bastards. Are there any cases, when they live along with official children(except Jon Snow of course and great bastards of Aegon IV)? It's started from a discussion in another forum, that taking Jon to Winterfell was really unusual and with this act Ned showed disrespect to his wife, did he? I'm trying to defend Ned..

Lord Humfrey Hewett had his badtard daughter living in his castle,with his wife and trueborn children, though the girl was made a servant.

Walder Frey has his bastards living at the Twins, and Gerion Lannisters daughter, if I'm not mistaken, lives at CR, though Gerion did not have any trueborn children, or a wife. Baelish took his 'bastard daughter' to live with him and his new wife. And of course the Sand Snakes, though Oberyn had no wife or trueborn children. (perhaps also Lord Bracken, I'm not sure if the boy grew up with him atm) Those are examples which come to mind where the bastard is stated to live in the castle of the noble parent.

When the bastard was born before the marriage, a new wife should have little problem with the bastard living in the same castle as her.

It is a bit different when the bastard is conceived after the wedding. Noblewomen can take offense to that. Catelyn tells us that that is not what bottered her, nor that Ned fathered a bastard. It was the fact that Ned brought him home, and treated him almost equal to her trueborn children. And of course, the fact that Jon looked so much like a Stark, unlike most of her own children. In addition, Ned wouldn't say a word about the mother, and Catelyn concludes that he must have loved the mother fiercely, which hurts her as well.

I'm certain that Ned meant no disrespect for Catelyn, but that doesn't mean Caelyn felt hurt nonetheless. And possibly, if Ned had treated Jon differently (while also allowing him to live at Winterfell), Catelyn wouldn't have minded so much.

As you can see, there are others who allow their bastards to live in their castles. But it is not just where the bastard lives that is important, but how the child is treated.

Apparently the WoIaF app is canon, and there are numerous entries (Jeyne Westerling, her parents, a few others) that state that Tywin ordered them to spark a romance between Robb and Jeyne. I much prefer the idea that he was told that it was already happening and greased the wheels a little, instead of Robb just falling for whichever female got shoved under his nose. Maybe Tywin could have just dressed up in drag like Bugs Bunny used to do to Elmer Fudd and have him smitten on the spot.

I know I've read some speculation that there had been a love spell or other enchantment involved. Jeyne's mom was the granddaughter of Maggy the Frog so it's not out of the realm of possibility.

Archived