Small Questions v.10103

Jon Weirgaryen

But Jaehaerys was Maegor's heir since Maegor left no issue himself and Jaehaerys was Maegor's oldest nephew. And Maegor ruled for a significant amount of time. By contrast Rhaenyra ruled for a very short period.

Nope.

Rhaena was then forced to wed Maegor. Maegor named her daughter, Aerea, as his heir while disinheriting Queen Alyssa's surviving son, Jaehaerys.

From the World of Ice and Fire, Maegor's chapter, the box about his wives.

Granted, we don't know when Aerea died, but somehow I doubt Maegor ever cancelled that decree.

Good point about Maegor's rule actually lasting... But then, Robert's reign lasted. Do you think if Dany ever got the Iron Throne, she'd count Robert as Robert the First, and if her heir happened to be called Viserys, he would be Viserys III again?

Yea, I assume there can't really be any gaps so if you did declare it void, it'd technically become part of your reign. And it sounded like a sucky period to be putting on your CV.

Okay, that makes a lot of sense.

But then, accepting Maegor as the former King writes that sucky period right into your kingly line's CV. Publicly denouncing him as a false king and an usurper, and claiming the throne as Jaeharys I, heir to Viserys I, heir to Aegon II, both of whom were the true kings, but never ruled because of that nasty usurper sob... That sounds a lot better, doesn't it?

They were both killed by (well, because of) Maegor, too, so I think it'd be pretty easy to show the world how Jaehaerys had nothing to do with what went down. Hell, he was raising an army to march on his nuncle before he went all emo.

Speaking about the big Targaryen picture (and we're talking about the guy who would call a Great Council just to be on the safe side when he died), he picked "okay, we fucked up, but hey I can do better, look I've only got the one wife" instead of "whew, that sucked, eh? Well, we suffered a bunch too, but we're back now, it's gonna be alright."

Nope.

From the World of Ice and Fire, Maegor's chapter, the box about his wives.

Granted, we don't know when Aerea died, but somehow I doubt Maegor ever cancelled that decree.

Good point about Maegor's rule actually lasting... But then, Robert's reign lasted. Do you think if Dany ever got the Iron Throne, she'd count Robert as Robert the First, and if her heir happened to be called Viserys, he would be Viserys III again?

Okay, that makes a lot of sense.
But then, accepting Maegor as the former King writes that sucky period right into your kingly line's CV. Publicly denouncing him as a false king and an usurper, and claiming the throne as Jaeharys I, heir to Viserys I, heir to Aegon II, both of whom were the true kings, but never ruled because of that nasty usurper sob... That sounds a lot better, doesn't it?
They were both killed by (well, because of) Maegor, too, so I think it'd be pretty easy to show the world how Jaehaerys had nothing to do with what went down. Hell, he was raising an army to march on his nuncle before he went all emo.

Speaking about the big Targaryen picture (and we're talking about the guy who would call a Great Council just to be on the safe side when he died), he picked "okay, we fucked up, but hey I can do better, look I've only got the one wife" instead of "whew, that sucked, eh? Well, we suffered a bunch too, but we're back now, it's gonna be alright."

So Jaehaerys surely nullified the royal decree making Aerea Maegor's heir. In any case Maegor left no trueborn (or natural) issue.

Look at British History.  

Henry I decreed his daughter Maude(Mathilda) to be heir and made his barons swear oaths to support her.  Instead Stephen was crowned by the bishops with the backing of many of the nobles.  During the following wars, Maude at one point captured Stephen and took London.  She was the actual legal heir, held the capital, and was proclaimed queen by her followers, but she was never officially crowned.  She's not listed in histories as a queen of England.  

Edward V inherited the throne from his father, under the protectorate of his uncle Richard.  Rather than crowning him, Richard had him declared a bastard, locked him in a tower and probably murdered him.  Edward is listed among the kings of England.

It all just depends on who makes the lists, I suppose.

Edward V inherited the throne from his father, under the protectorate of his uncle Richard.  Rather than crowning him, Richard had him declared a bastard, locked him in a tower and probably murdered him.  Edward is listed among the kings of England.

It all just depends on who makes the lists, I suppose.

Absolutely, but that is what bothers me about all this. Jaehaerys won, he should have been the one to make the list, and I can't make sense of him keeping Maegor and there.

Wow green eyes in Chataya's, age wise she would probably be Tywins but I don't remember the character.  I know that many people believe Tywin made the secret tunnel.

I thought that would be the connection. He wasn't whoring, he was visiting his bastard or something. She has the same hair as tommen. I'm not great at finding the subtle clues, though, that's why I asked if there was a theory already.

Are there any good threads on the identity of Nissa Nissa? I see a lot of threads of Azor Azai but practically nothing on Nissa Nissa.

Well, the identity of Nissa Nissa is strongly related to the identity of Azor Ahai in question. When people theorize about who exactly AA might be, they usually say who/what will be this particular AA's Nissa Nissa. Thus, if Jon is proposed as AA, then someone like Arya is suggested as Nissa Nissa, if Stannis is AA, then Shireen might be Nissa Nissa etc. You get the point.

Well, the identity of Nissa Nissa is strongly related to the identity of Azor Ahai in question. When people theorize about who exactly AA might be, they usually say who/what will be this particular AA's Nissa Nissa. Thus, if Jon is proposed as AA, then someone like Arya is suggested as Nissa Nissa, if Stannis is AA, then Shireen might be Nissa Nissa etc. You get the point.

Oh I know that but was wondering if someone had gone about it the other way. Speculate about who Nissa Nissa could be and then that leads you to AA.

Oh I know that but was wondering if someone had gone about it the other way. Speculate about who Nissa Nissa could be and then that leads you to AA.

Or still the other way, if ice was lightbringer, Lady&Ned might be Nissa&Nissa (still resonates "Sansa") and Brienne with oathkeeper might be one half of Azor Ahai and the other one would need to wield widow's wail...

i seem to remember a release (ssm, or other post) regarding POV's in tWoW. i thought we know that new POV's will be in it, but do we have any more info, maybe how many total POV's in the book, or anything?

thanks

I seem to recall a statement of no new POVs (though that most likely does not include prologue and potential epilogue), and a statement of "13 POVs" has been made, though there has been discussion about whether that was about the start-number of POVs, or about the amount of POVs still alive by the end of the book.

In BryndenBFish's  The Complete Winds of Winter Resource v. 2 you should be able to find links and all :)

I seem to recall a statement of no new POVs (though that most likely does not include prologue and potential epilogue), and a statement of "13 POVs" has been made, though there has been discussion about whether that was about the start-number of POVs, or about the amount of POVs still alive by the end of the book.

In BryndenBFish's  The Complete Winds of Winter Resource v. 2 you should be able to find links and all :)

thanks. i would suppose that the 13 POV's s at the start of the book, like the Glossary section in the back is about the character's status at the beginning of each book, so as not to contain spoilers.

i'll check the link

Archived