Somebody Heeeeeeeeelp me! Help me Please

HungLikeHodor

I am fairly new to the fantasy genre. A Song of Ice and Fire kinda renewed my interest in it(big time Lord of the Rings fan), and playing The Witcher 3 really brought me back to it. I am trying to find the perfect fantasy series for myself. Here is my personal, quirky criteria that I am seeking:

1. Loads of creatures/races: kinda in the Lord of the Ring mode where there are orcs,elves, goblins, dragons, etc

2. Massive world: I haven't read Malazan, but the massive world map makes me very interested. Various continents. Deserts, forests, frozen lands, rich cities.

3. Adult, gritty themes: think of ASOIAF, where anything goes, nobody is safe, the good guy doesn't always win. Violence, gruesome, debauchery. 

Basically, I am looking for a combination of LOTR and ASOIAF with a huge world map. Does such a fantasy series exist? I look to you for your knowledge and wisdom.

I mentioned in the August Reads thread that I am about to finish Malice(75 pages left) then I am reading The Barrow, The Dragon's Path, The Red Knight, Prince of Fools and The Last Wish(Witcher Series). But if you guys can think of a series that hits all of my "criteria" above please let me know.

for lotsa creatures: even though the plot is very thin and new characters (who don't really know the old characters) seem to be introduced every other page or so, and it's kinda crappy on the show-don't-tell front, one can't beat http://www.amazon.com/Advanced-Dungeons-Dragons-Monster-Manual/dp/0935696008/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1439167753&sr=1-2&keywords=monster+manual.

Honestly this is a thread where I would actually recommend the Warhammer series of tie ins. ALL the fantasy races, pulpy to the extreme (or 'adult' as the OP called it) and limitless space for the world to grow.

Is it just called the Warhammer series? Who is the author?

It is a loose series of tie-in novels to the Warhammer table top game but no knowledge of the game is needed.  Just google Warhammer and you will find it; no single author because of the tie in nature. 

Adrian Tchaikovsky's Shadows of the Apt series would seem as good a fit as Malazan or Warhammer.

This has me wondering, has anyone ever asked for a recommendation here without mentioning "adult, gritty themes"? What would not have this, anyway? Xanth?

(ETA: also, bonus point for this request, as the usual is more about low magic and no fantasy races, to go with the gittiness.)

The Mirror Empire fits perfectly. A very diverse world and imaginative worldbuilding. And you actually have "adult themes" like gender identity and colonisation not violence and debauchery(I fail to see how these are considered themes... Something like the deshumanisation of people through violence yes, but if you want pure violence why not watch a blockbuster?)
See? You can reccomend books without resorting to the canon. While Stanek's quality is undeniable, I'd guess every fantasy fan with a bit of self-respect has already read his masterwork. And although the prose is sublime, it doesn't even come close to Gene Wolfe for example

Archived