Batman and Superman III : Batfleck Rises

The King in Black

48 minutes ago, Rhom said:

I hope there's not much more than this in the movie, because it really will be trying to do too much if it insists on Bats vs Supes, Bats/Supes/WW vs Doomsday, and shoehorn in Darkseid somehow.

I'm reasonably sure this is just going to be a portentous dream of doom and Darkseid won't otherwise be mentioned. Even without the overcrowding, if they try to bring in Darkseid without building him up first they're utterly crazy.

I'm a little worried that they'll go straight to that in the first Justice League film proper, but hopefully not. 

2 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

I'm reasonably sure this is just going to be a portentous dream of doom and Darkseid won't otherwise be mentioned. Even without the overcrowding, if they try to bring in Darkseid without building him up first they're utterly crazy.

I'm a little worried that they'll go straight to that in the first Justice League film proper, but hopefully not. 

They skipped the Marvel model of intro movies for the main characters in favor of going practically straight to Justice League, I wouldn't be surprised if they skipped straight to their version of Infinity War as well.

Just seems like they really run the risk that Phase 2 of Marvel kept bumping into "Why didn't Tony just call the rest of the Avengers?" from the get-go.  If they fight Doomsday and Darkseid, will we really care at all about what Aquaman and Flash get into later?

• 2 weeks later...

Zack Snyder making remarkably petulant comments about 'true characters.'

“I gotta say I was pretty ready for it, because I knew that we were really updating a character, a beloved character. I don’t think changing him – you know, people are always like “You changed Superman.” I’m like “if you’re a comic book fan, you know I didn’t change Superman. If you know the true canon, you know that I didn’t change Superman. If you’re a fan of the old movies, yeah, I changed him a bit.

“That’s the difference. I’m a bit of a comic book fan and I always default to the true canon, not the sort of cinematic canon, in my opinion, where they play slightly fast and loose with the rules. And so I feel like I tried to create a Superman that would set a tone for the world. And again, Chris Nolan as producer on the film, and who really created the story and who is a close friend, we worked closely together, to try and make a movie that felt consistent with the DC Universe as it was created. And it was something that I wanted to do anyway, so it really made sense.

“My point is that we DON’T take liberties. My point is if you know anything about the actual characters, you’ll see that they’re very much… what we’ve done is create a universe where those characters can really be the mythological characters as they’re designed in the comic books. So if you were a fan of them in the comic books, you’ll get a great opportunity to see what they look like, and how they move, and are real.”

Just now, Leap said:

Expectations plummeting.

You had expectations? This is the kind of movie in which a younger me would have polished fatty in the car and probably taken a one-hitter into the theater.

Nowadays I do a few shots before leaving the apartment and take a mixed drink in water container, y'know, like a grown-up.

Anyways, you roll into one of these good and fucked up and hope that it was enough that you feel like you should go see it again sober.

6 hours ago, Leap said:

I have the vague sort of idea that Snyder had some sort of plan for the characters, in terms of developing them. So I'd expect his words on the matter to be something along the lines of ''well, we still have a story left to tell, characters left to build'' not the overly defensive ''hey man, these are my fucking characters and if you don't like them fuck you, you don't know anything''. 

He does sound petulant and defensive there, but in fairness, 'these are my characters so fuck you' is the opposite of what he said.

As it happens, I agree with him to a certain point that people are too beholden to the movies when they talk about what Superman in particular should be.

Always a bad idea to be petty and defend your film. The "comic fans" should like it is particularly funny. I'm a comic fan, we rarely like anything but don't worry we'll buy and watch/read regardless. It's not like the current Superman in the comics makes much sense either.

He should stick to his guns with "this is my vision of Superman. etc". If we don't like it, not to worry, there'll be another version in 5 years.

On February 6, 2016 at 1:53 AM, red snow said:

Always a bad idea to be petty and defend your film. The "comic fans" should like it is particularly funny. I'm a comic fan, we rarely like anything but don't worry we'll buy and watch/read regardless. It's not like the current Superman in the comics makes much sense either.

He should stick to his guns with "this is my vision of Superman. etc". If we don't like it, not to worry, there'll be another version in 5 years.

I was going to mention something along those lines. I don't think I've bought a Supes comic since like Kingdom Come or Red Son, so I'm not all that attached to the character to begin with. I was just reading an article about how the writers of his current title have added a new power to him after he exposed himself to a kryptonite pile in an attempt to jumpstart his failing powers. As if that alone wasn't stupid sounding enough, the new power he gained was incredibly stupid. Now he can not only see different radio waves and signal frequencies, but he can also hear them. Who gives a flying fuck? When the comics are this bad I'm not sure you should even bother defending your movie iteration of the character. Just tell us a story that we want to hear. Entertain us, and don't get bogged down in the minutiae. 

41 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Watchmen the film really seemed to miss the point of the comic in my opinion.

I don't know, it was more or less a shot by shot recreation of the comic. Of course some scenes had to be eliminated, and the ending was changed, but outside of that I'm not sure how Snyder could've been more faithful to the comic. Ultimately, I think that comic is damn near unadaptable to a 2-3 hour film. Honestly I think an episodic series would do better at capturing both the theme and feel of that particular comic.

1 minute ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

I don't know, it was more or less a shot by shot recreation of the comic. Of course some scenes had to be eliminated, and the ending was changed, but outside of that I'm not sure how Snyder could've been more faithful to the comic. Ultimately, I think that comic is damn near unadaptable to a 2-3 hour film. Honestly I think an episodic series would do better at capturing both the theme and feel of that particular comic.

Yeah, and many of the complaints I remember reading when it first came out was that it was almost too much like the comic, which I thought was odd. I always thought they did a good job adapting it and never really understood some of the hate it got, besides some shaky acting. The ending change didn't take away from anything either.

3 minutes ago, Ramsay Blow said:

Yeah, and many of the complaints I remember reading when it first came out was that it was almost too much like the comic, which I thought was odd. I always thought they did a good job adapting it and never really understood some of the hate it got, besides some shaky acting. The ending change didn't take away from anything either.

Yeah, I think many of the complaints were that it didn't really have any sort of soul of its' own. That it may as well have been an animated film that was pulled directly from the book and onto celluloid. Also, there really doesn't seem to be a way they could've worked the "story within a story" (The Black Freighter comic book) in a way that would've made sense.

For me, the most enjoyable aspect of the movie was the meticulous reconstruction of some of Gibbon's splash pages. I thought they nailed the look from an art direction standpoint.

Archived