How can anyone think Jon will sit on the iron throne?

Dragonsmurf

To start off, I don't believe in R+L=J and I find Daenerys waaaay more likely to be Azor Ahai than Daenerys. I still believe there is a chance for Melisandre to bring Jon back to life though, but it's also likely that he is dead. So, for me, it's of course absurd to imagine Jon on the iron throne.

But even if R+L=J is true, Jon is Azor Ahai and will come back to life, how can anyone believe he will ever sit on the IT? First, if he is Rhaegar and Lyanna's son, he is still a bastard with NO right to inherit. I have seen some suggestions on this forum that Rhaegar and Lyanna perhaps was married. I'm sorry, but is there any evidence to this at all? While R+L=J is an exciting theory, R+L=married sounds like some cheesy bullshit... And even if they had a marriage ceremony, polygamy is not accepted by the majority of Westeros, and even the Targaryens haven't practiced it since the days of Aegon the Conqueror. Neither the noble families nor the Faith would regard a R+L marriage to be a real marriage.

And no matter how strong, weak or non-existent his claim to the throne may be, have you missed everything that is written about Jon's character? The man wouldn't want to sit on the damn thing even if somebody gave it to him. I can see how some people want him to be AA since being an ancient, mythical hero is something that would fit his character, but king? Jon Snow would never, ever want to be king of the seven kingdoms.

Why do you believe Jon will be king?

You do realize that Joffrey and Tommen are both bastards with "NO" right to inherit?

Bloodlines honestly mean little. If Jon becomes king, I truly doubt his parentage will be a big factor, if any. What could be a factor is how well he leads the armies of men against the hordes of ice demons who are kind of hellbent on killing all life. Plus, there is a fair amount of foreshadowing of him being a king. Read here. It doesn't have to convince you, but it is there for the reader to ponder.

You do realize that Joffrey and Tommen are both bastards with "NO" right to inherit?

Bloodlines honestly mean little. If Jon becomes king, I truly doubt his parentage will be a big factor, if any. What could be a factor is how well he leads the armies of men against the hordes of ice demons who are kind of hellbent on killing all life. Plus, there is a fair amount of foreshadowing of him being a king. Read here. It doesn't have to convince you, but it is there for the reader to ponder.

Yes, Joffrey and Tommen have no claim to the IT and that's why TWOFK started... And you believe people would just accept another bastard on the throne? I believe it's possible Jon would lead humans into war against the Others, but that still doesn't make him king. Nor would he want to be. And Robert-quotes about king's hiding in the snow doesn't change that one bit. His parentage is one of like hundred obstacles for Jon being king.

Heck, if I saw "evidence" as easy as the R+L=J fans do, I could prove that the Night's king is actually Aegon the Conqueror immortalized.

Only two characters have been brought back by the Lord of Light so far in the story and neither of them look in a fit state to rule Westeros.

Another obstacle of Jon sitting on the IT... But I'm sure there's tons of "evidence" just like with Jon being AA...

GRRM said that there won't be king's POV. Jon already has POV, so he won't be king.

You're right. He won't sit on IT. However Jon may be a KitN because of Robb legalization.

Moreover GRRM said that main POV characters (Jon, Bran, Sansa, Dany, Arya, Tyrion) will survive till the end. There's still 2 left books, so Jon will be 'alive' at the very end.

He has a lot of chances to be hero. GRRM likes being tricksy, and when characters solve one prophercy in their own way, probably it will be in other way.

That's nature of prophercy

GRRM said that there won't be king's POV. Jon already has POV, so he won't be king.

You're right. He won't sit on IT. However Jon may be a KitN because of Robb legalization.

Moreover GRRM said that main POV characters (Jon, Bran, Sansa, Dany, Arya, Tyrion) will survive till the end. There's still 2 left books, so Jon will be 'alive' at the very end.

He has a lot of chances to be hero. GRRM likes being tricksy, and when characters solve one prophercy in their own way, probably it will be in other way.

That's nature of prophercy

When did GRRM state that all the main POVs will survive til the end? Some of them will, of course, but all of them?

When did GRRM state that all the main POVs will survive til the end? Some of them will, of course, but all of them?

Well yeah ;) I don't think the young griff is the true Aegon Targaryen, but even as a baby I think he definitly had the Targaryen featues...

It's a common trope. Aragorn, Luke, Arthur...someone ends up being secret royalty and becoming the king. Jon fits the bill the most, being essentially the closest thing to a main character and probably the most worthy/noble. Doesn't mean I think it will happen, but I do see why people would think he will eventually sit on the Throne.

I agree that Jon sitting on the Iron Throne is ludicrous, but nothing is set in stone. If you can keep an open mind, you'll enjoy the series more, because one day Jon may (emphasis on may) sit the Iron Throne, and you''ll just be angry and disappointed. 

I do have an open mind. Actually, I have nothing against the R+L=J theory even though I find it unlikely. The thing that makes me upset is the fans who always keep on claiming the theory to be a canon truth... It is not.

Ah I get it. Troll and/or contrarian. Never mind. Nothing is as dogmatic as R+L=J deniers.

I am not a "dogmatic R+L=J denier". In fact, I find it to be a good guess, but I do feel it is more likely that Jon is Ned's son. And given that Daenerys fits the AA prophecy much better, I think Jon as AA is high unlikely.

Archived