Football XXXII - Start as you mean to go on

Alex.

It's kind of baffling how in the two opening games, Chelsea have played a compact defensive lineup, as per, and yet still looked completely and utterly open.

Part of the problem mind is that they've become so defensive, and neither Costa and Hazard are that out-and-out rapid, that teams haven't had too much fear of being done on the break. They could really have done with Schurrle today. In fact they really haven't got much pace in the whole team and it means teams can press high knowing that if they've got a rapid player in a covering position they've got the advantage, whereas when Chelsea pushed up even a tiny bit, both Swansea and City carved them.

West Brom shouldn't be a big issue because they've not got a lot of pace either, but if they've not sorted themselves by the time Palace come around, that could be a tricky fixture. Bolasie and Zaha taking turns to run at this Ivanovic should be fun.

I feel all warm inside when Chelsea get stuffed, and I think that maybe, just maybe, the human race will be OK.
Did you see Silva for the third goal? He won the ball off Hazard deep in the LB zone to start the break away and then after Chelsea stopped the counter-attack it was Silva who blocked Ivanovic's pass just outside the box and turned it into an assist to Fernandinho. And none of the commentators even mentioned it. Aguero was amazing with his movement and ball control but Silva ran that game with incredible skill and unremarked effort.
Arsenal were a bit fortunate. They seem to be doing a Spurs at the moment.

Silva was extraordinary today! I've been watching him every week for years now and I'm still amazed at his ability to take the ball in a tight space and somehow come out of it totally free without any pace.

I'd have given Silva MotM by a country mile, as good as Kun was despite lacking match fitness.

In fact they really haven't got much pace in the whole team and it means teams can press high knowing that if they've got a rapid player in a covering position they've got the advantage, whereas when Chelsea pushed up even a tiny bit, both Swansea and City carved them.

Yeah for all the pace Willian has he seems to slow the play down everytime he gets the ball

I started a twitter account the other day (so on the ball!) and one of the few-people-so-far I followed was Alex and since then my feed has just been a flood of very badly dressed people apparently still better dressed than Jovetic. I did wonder why. :P

Hold on who are you on there??

Can we all please cast our minds back to that time 95% of the pundits and "experts" predicted City woukd finish 4th? Or even 5th in the case of David James?

City were imperious today. Made Chelsea look like a team of also ran cunts and Sunday League hopefuls. Everyone turned up, everyone outplayed their opposite number, we were fucking exceptional.

CITY CITY CITY CITY CITY CITY CITY

The unexpected cherry on top of the cake is the delightfully childish match report on the Chelsea website which I assume was written by banter legend Mourinho himself https://www.chelseafc.com/news/latest-news/2015/08/match-report--manchester-city-v-chelsea-.html

Can we all please cast our minds back to that time 95% of the pundits and "experts" predicted City woukd finish 4th? Or even 5th in the case of David James?

City were imperious today. Made Chelsea look like a team of also ran cunts and Sunday League hopefuls. Everyone turned up, everyone outplayed their opposite number, we were fucking exceptional.

The unexpected cherry on top of the cake is the delightfully childish match report on the Chelsea website which I assume was written by banter legend Mourinho himself https://www.chelseafc.com/news/latest-news/2015/08/match-report--manchester-city-v-chelsea-.html

Wow! You expect a degree of bias in an official club website report, but that's akin to writings from a 15 year old's fan blog.

Definitely. There's a difference between bias and outright delusion. Chelsea appear to have skipped over that line.

However based on the twitter abuse I am currently getting a lot of Chelsea fans genuinely think they were unlucky not to get a point which to be honest makes me feel deep despair and sadness. Imagine thinking they deserved anything from that match.

Eta: Having trouble deciding what my favourite thing was today. There's an equal case to be made for cheering and singing at the Chelsea doctor, the Aguero goal, Ramires celebrating for fucking ages after he was ruled offside, the Kompany header, Ivanovic being utter dreck all afternoon, Fernandinho forsaking technique for just kicking it really hard and of course One Step Beyond

i love the revisionist history in this blog post. it is almost as if this guy had his eyes shut during most of the match. 

Mateo Kovačić seems to be going to Real Madrid. I don't know who is the bigger idiot here - Inter, Madrid or Kovačić. I mean, I rate him highly, but the amount of similar players Madrid have is very high and his chances of breaking into the first team are not great, especially because he unfortunately didn't develop much at Inter and it could be a 35 mil. euro waste for them. And Inter lost a great young player who, if they developed him properly, could have been their star player.

I hoped he'd end up at Liverpool, he'd have a much easier time there and could really develop. Hope he proves himself at Madrid though.

Come on, it's not like Real has a bunch of young promising central midfielders in it's squad like Casemiro, Illaramendi and Lucas Silva, right?

LOL, that's pretty pathetic.

Did you see Silva for the third goal? He won the ball off Hazard deep in the LB zone to start the break away and then after Chelsea stopped the counter-attack it was Silva who blocked Ivanovic's pass just outside the box and turned it into an assist to Fernandinho. And none of the commentators even mentioned it. Aguero was amazing with his movement and ball control but Silva ran that game with incredible skill and unremarked effort.

Iskaral, no one ever really mentions Silva despite him being arguably the best player in the league.

And before you all scoff at that, I think there's a genuine conversation to be had here. Does anyone else dictate a successful team in the Premier League like Silva does?

Personally I rate him above Aguero and Toure at City.

Interested to hear what people think. For instance based on last year I'd imagine people could argue for Hazard and Sanchez. Any others?

Eh - I think Silva gets plenty of praise from most quarters. Also, it's unsurprising to see chelsea.com pick up from where they left off last season - their website is a joke. My favourite line from that article 'Mangala resorted to WWE style tactics to stop the ever dangerous Diego Costa' - what sort of editor lets that get printed?!

Edit: It was good to see Arteta come on and win a fair few tackles - he's been unfairly maligned by some our fans but hopefully he can get a few games and prove to be a useful player for us this season. 

Hold on who are you on there??

@polskigenius is my handle. The one with one tweet so far, complaining about how some utter bastard already thieved polishgenius from me.

Ramires celebrating for fucking ages after he was ruled offside

As Ramires is about the only player in the Chelsea team I actually like (apart from Hazard, but that's just on his play), I felt a bit bad for him then. Why couldn't it have happened to Diego Costa?

I always lean towards Aguero over Silva as being a bit more deadly in the crunch, but I guess Silva does have more influence over the whole shebang more of the time.

I wonder if Mourinho's under more pressure than he would be because Roman knows Klopp's available right now. He certainly can't be happy with either the start or the big PR mess Mourinho's made already.

I don't think he's any worse a tackler than the average player in his position. Certainly puts in much less bad ones than my favourite player ever. :P

In large part it's from when he first arrived and was absolutely terrible but kept at it and became a useful player. I always like when a player turns things around like that- see also Eboue, Darren Fletcher, Nani.

Come on, it's not like Real has a bunch of young promising central midfielders in it's squad like Casemiro, Illaramendi and Lucas Silva, right?

Except he's more like Isco or James, those three are more of the defensive type. Still a very tall order to get through the first team. And yes, I get the sarcasm, just pointing this out.

Speak of the devil, looks like Liverpool are buying Illaramendi.

I hope Liverpool manage some actual attacking play today.  We didn't create much last game until Cou had his little inspired moment.  I'm still worried that Benteke won't suit our style and our midfield won't have the right shape to link with the forwards.

So hopefully we'll see Can behind Milner and Henderson and then Coutinho and Firmino rampaging between the lines and setting up Benteke for a hatfull of goals.

Don't really understand why Sakho is not even making the bench for Liverpool. He's our best centre back imo but hope Lovren can keep up the good work from last week.
Weird BR is starting the same lineup as last week when we were pretty poor up until the subs, thought for sure Can would start at least to push up Milner and Hendo but :dunno:

Weird BR is starting the same lineup as last week when we were pretty poor up until the subs, thought for sure Can would start at least to push up Milner and Hendo but :dunno:

Well it's not that weird to be fair. It's probably not the team I'd go with but it was only the first game of the season last week, I don't think it's unreasonable for him to give the team he's viewing as first choice, other than maybe Firmino, time to bed in.

Archived