Fashion thread: updating classics

Angalin

I think not.  My jegging make my legs look skinnier than they actually are.

Now bell bottoms are a whole different story.  Bell bottoms are horrible.  And so are bell sleeves and the variant trumpet sleeves.  All of which will be in this fall.  I will be a renegade and revert to my jeggings with long fitted jackets.

I am eager to relive the late 90s with flare jeans. They can be ok with the appropriate shoes. Now I just need my lime green shirt with a pink daisy and "Girl power" written on it and I'll be all set. :P

It seems to me that boot cut jeans are making their way back into stores for the fall. I'm totally down with that. I've never liked skinny jeans.  Straight cut jeans are about as skinny as I am willing to go.

I never stopped liking bell-shaped jeans. I am not skinny enough for any skinny jeans to fit me and I dislike the ones narrower by the ankles (we call them carrot-shaped, no idea how to describe them otherwise). Sometimes I feel like even the straight ones look carrot-shaped on me, so I prefer the bell-shaped a lot.

I still can't find shirts that fit me. Anything that fits across the chest/shoulders is way too long and usually too baggy as well. Anything the right length is too tight in the upper body. Dress shirts are okay since they get tucked in so the length doesn't matter. But I wear casual shirts untucked and I can't find anything on the high street that fits. Could maybe get them altered but that's starting to get expensive for the sake of casual shirts.

I still can't find shirts that fit me. Anything that fits across the chest/shoulders is way too long and usually too baggy as well. Anything the right length is too tight in the upper body. Dress shirts are okay since they get tucked in so the length doesn't matter. But I wear casual shirts untucked and I can't find anything on the high street that fits. Could maybe get them altered but that's starting to get expensive for the sake of casual shirts.

Same for me. I bought some Simon Spurr and Versace casual shirts at Saks. The length is good and they are cut for a tapered torso, but they are still far too tight across the chest and upper arms. I tried a casual shirt from Banana Republic but it was terrible - too long, sleeves too tight and far too loose around the waist, but it did at least fit my upper torso.

My best casual shirt is a 10yr old relic from Express made of cotton blended with Lycra. Good length, cut for taper and just about has enough room in the chest and arms. But it looks almost painted on (the Lycra effect), which feels a bit odd. I'm not going to night clubs anymore.

I was thinking of taking the BR shirt to be shortened and darted and see if it is much improved. But that's an annoying amount of after-sale adjustment for what should be central to the original cut.

I had never heard of FRYE boots, but was searching for knee highs to wear for a Marceline costume and came across these
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00R54YD02/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1439615627&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SY200_QL40&keywords=frye+kelly+belted

And decided they were too perfect. They won't just be for the costume, I should get plenty of wear out of them - they are exactly the style I'd been wanting anyway and 2.5" is the highest I can go heel wise. I'd love a pair in black as well if they fit, but this is already more than I should be spending. Fingers crossed on the fitting, I'm their largest size and no one stocks then in Aus so just have to gamble.

Oh also meant to say - fashion leggings are a big thing, look at the brand black milk which is only growing has expanded to a US online shop too. Yes they are designed to be worn with a longer top, but they are great.

And boot cut jeans look great on me so I'm happy stores will have them again. I got so annoyed when one particular brand had 10 different jeans cuts and all of them were skinny. Why bother even listing what they are.

Yeah, I have shoulders way too broad for the length of my arms. I buy custom shirts nowadays. It's much easier and in the long run saves money.

I was reading this article earlier, and I found it interesting in that partly yes, it is a gendered thing as the author suggests - but also in many ways it's just the age old challenge of designing routinised systems to cope with diversity. Mass produced clothing is made to uniform standards and peoples' bodies are unique. If it became the norm for major retailers to sell women's shirts designed for ladies with bigger breasts, you'd see exactly the same kind of articles coming from smaller-breasted women about how it was so hard for them to find shirts without gaping necklines. It's not profitable for mass retailers to stock a wide enough variety of sizes and designs to fit everybody well, so they compromise and choose a set of sizes which fit a wide range of people poorly, leaving nobody very happy.

The only ones that fit me well are slim fit shirts from M & S - though I have to buy a size bigger than the size I normally wear. I'm pretty tall - the bigger problem for me is finding shirts that are the right length - when I end up finding shirts that fit my torso pretty well, they end up being too short. 

Also, I've gone down the men's watches rabbit hole with some of those links in this thread. Some of those are really nice ( though a bit too expensive for me ) 

I had never heard of FRYE boots, but was searching for knee highs to wear for a Marceline costume and came across these
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00R54YD02/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1439615627&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SY200_QL40&keywords=frye+kelly+belted

Beware: Frye boots run extremely skinny in the boot shaft, and it doesn't seem to scale well as one goes up in shoe size. I'm not even close to fat, I don't have kankles nor especially chunky lower legs, and I can barely wear most of their knee-high boots.

If at all possible, buy them directly from Frye or from some other merchant who will accept returns. For every pair of Frye boots I have bought, I have had to walk away from three due to inconsistent and sometimes baffling fit choices made by the designers. So, yeah, their boots are sexy as hell. But I'm relatively unimpressed with their actual product design. For almost $500, those motherfuckers better feel like a slice of heaven on my feet, and they rarely do.

Beware: Frye boots 

i spent a lot of money on frye boots in my old life. the exwife really enjoyed them. they are not exactly inexpensive. 

on the topic of fashion as i have gotten older i am doing my best to transition my look from military fatigue pants, heavy metal shirts, adidas sambas and hobo beard to jeans, craft beer shirts, a more sophisticated sneaker and i tight mustache and goatee. i have gone from looking like a 17 year old to a 20 year old. i think it is working.

And decided they were too perfect. They won't just be for the costume, I should get plenty of wear out of them - they are exactly the style I'd been wanting anyway and 2.5" is the highest I can go heel wise. I'd love a pair in black as well if they fit, but this is already more than I should be spending. Fingers crossed on the fitting, I'm their largest size and no one stocks then in Aus so just have to gamble.

Oh also meant to say - fashion leggings are a big thing, look at the brand black milk which is only growing has expanded to a US online shop too. Yes they are designed to be worn with a longer top, but they are great.

And boot cut jeans look great on me so I'm happy stores will have them again. I got so annoyed when one particular brand had 10 different jeans cuts and all of them were skinny. Why bother even listing what they are.

I wore some Black Milk dragon scale leggings as part of my Daenerys Targaryen: Rock Star Halloween costume last year. They were awesome, although I still wore them under a miniskirt. 

Those boots are awesome looking. I've never owned Frye boots (although I have wanted to) and I just don't think those ones would fit around my calves, which are pretty muscular due to Irish dancing. I dunno, it's possible that with the heel they'd fit but I'd still try to find them in a store instead.

I don't do leggings or jeggings but I do skinny because I need something to hold me in tighter than either of those. I like NYDJ (Not Your Daughter's Jeans) and Cookie Johnson's jeans. They are made to make you look thinner and they are till super comfy. I have a super old pair of Gap Boot Cut jeans that I can only get into when I'm not as heavy. I will never throw them away.

I like the UGGS boots that I got for London and Russia. One is wooly inside, the other is biker style. I'm a two pair boot person. It's too damn hot down here.

The only ones that fit me well are slim fit shirts from M & S - though I have to buy a size bigger than the size I normally wear. I'm pretty tall - the bigger problem for me is finding shirts that are the right length - when I end up finding shirts that fit my torso pretty well, they end up being too short. 

Also, I've gone down the men's watches rabbit hole with some of those links in this thread. Some of those are really nice ( though a bit too expensive for me ) 

I do have one shirt from M&S that just about fits. I like the cut of their shirts but not most of the patterns. The one I have is a plain dark blue shirt that they don't sell any more. I'd like to buy more but the patterns on all of their other casual shirts are just plain ugly.

Dracarya, I will send you some boots links, but I personally like bedstu, Frye, and Old Gringo. All three brands are really comfy to me.

I have a pair of jeggings and I love them. I also have leggings and sometimes I do run around in them as pants. I used to give a crap but don't so much now. If this offends your sensibilities look to Jareth. If Bowie says jeggings are okay, then by damn, they're okay.

Archived