Fashion thread: updating classics

Angalin

Not sure if this should be in fashion or career thread, but I'll try here first.

I was considering wearing a red blazer to an interview (with my current boss) with a white lace overlay top and black dress pants. It is nice and dressy, but not a formal suit jacket (I normally wear an identical black one to interviews). I kinda thought he liked my slightly quirky style (I don't dress weird every day, but once in a while, like the steampunk skirt paired with the Lane Bryant Victorian style blouse, or like today, a faux corset blouse, that does lace up the front and a hair clip with feathers (just a small one, not the mardi-gras one).

But today the lady I will be replacing (if I get the job) told me he was very conservative when it come to office dress. I suppose the fact that I am a temp might be why he treats me different (and I do make sure even my quirky dress falls within the corporate dress rules).

So knowing this, should I go with an actual full suit? The black blazer (I usually pair it with grey dress pants and a light purple/grey top)? Or is wearing a red jacket considered ok?

ETA: The job is a salaried position that is bonus eligible with a Big Bank, which is what makes me think an actual suit might be best

14 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Ini - first of all, congratulations!  Have fun.

Sneakers are fine for long hours of walking if you wear nice ones.  No high tops or bulbous tennis shoes, just a sleek, simple design in a neutral color.  Although, sneakers and sandals are not allowed in the Vatican, from what I recall (we honeymooned in Rome).

Nah, sandals and sneakers are quite allowed, maybe the rules have changed since you were there, but this is pretty much the standard tourist wear. :)

The thing Italians make a fuss about is no bare shoulders and no bare knees if you are visiting a church or other religious building. Basically, no shorts (women will get away with skirts if they are not minis, guys should wear long trousers).

2 hours ago, Lany Freelove Strangeways said:

/snip

So knowing this, should I go with an actual full suit? The black blazer (I usually pair it with grey dress pants and a light purple/grey top)? Or is wearing a red jacket considered ok?

ETA: The job is a salaried position that is bonus eligible with a Big Bank, which is what makes me think an actual suit might be best

Banks are notoriously conservative.  (There was even an episode that brushed on this on Better Call Saul.)  So if you really want this job, I'd go with a suit, hose, pumps.  I'm in the legal field, so I'm similarly hindered in my sartorial choices!  There may be judges wearing jeans and cowboy boots under their robes and attorneys who show up to depos in jeans, but if **I** did, someone would be sure to comment negatively upon it.

I guess the better question is, why would you want to work in a field where you're having to stifle yourself?  As I recall, you worked in a law office too? (Maybe that was Mandy, now, come to think of it.) 

Anyway, yeah, go for the suit.

ETA:  Especially if the position involves contact with the public.

15 minutes ago, Tears of Lys said:

Banks are notoriously conservative.  (There was even an episode that brushed on this on Better Call Saul.)  So if you really want this job, I'd go with a suit, hose, pumps.  I'm in the legal field, so I'm similarly hindered in my sartorial choices!  There may be judges wearing jeans and cowboy boots under their robes and attorneys who show up to depos in jeans, but if **I** did, someone would be sure to comment negatively upon it.

I guess the better question is, why would you want to work in a field where you're having to stifle yourself?  As I recall, you worked in a law office too? (Maybe that was Mandy, now, come to think of it.) 

Anyway, yeah, go for the suit.

ETA:  Especially if the position involves contact with the public.

Thanks. I just can't seem to think objectively about it. I was leaning the same way (maybe not hose ,as I tend to prefer pant suits) but kept going back and forth with which would be ok. (and then "ok" does not equal "best") *sigh*   I don't have contact with the public, just by phone.  This whole thing is just stressing me out. (a lot more involved really, but it is all adding up for me, so that every small part has me totally worked up)  

And yes, Mandy works(ed?) in a law office. I have been in financial/banking jobs (that never have in personal contact with public except by phone) since the late 90's (with substitute teaching jobs in between, when needed)

25 minutes ago, Filippa Eilhart said:

I wonder if brides aren't allowed to wear strapless gowns in Italy :P

That ... is actually a really good question. :D I remember the same rule about some places in Croatia, cannot remember anywhere else that it was specifically said or drawn on some board that you should wear such and such, but then other places I visited do not typically get so warm in summer that tourists would generally want to wear such revealing clothes.

On ‎4‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 7:18 PM, Inigima said:

For this reason, while general style advice is also appreciated, my biggest concern is shoes. I need to be able to walk, a lot, comfortably. I am advised not to wear sneakers, and I'm concerned that hiking/walking boots will look bad. I'll also be packing dress loafers so I will look acceptable for dinner etc. Help please! It'll be early May, if season matters.

You can absolutely wear sneakers and not stand out as an American in Italy.  Just don't wear white running shoes with white socks and blue jeans!  But plenty of Italian men wear sneakers.  Those Adidas ones you posted on the other page would be fine.  Any Puma/Adidas/Nike dark color type sneaker would be fine and not stand out.

That being said, I don't know what part of Italy you will be going to and the weather of course can be varied.  I spent  a month in Rome in May one year and it rained about half of the days I was there and it was quite drenching rain.  And in Venice, of course, you can get flooding and wet shoes.  So something like Ecco's Track GTX black leather shoes that have Gore-Tex and a thicker sole and are good for walking on a range of surfaces might be useful for keeping your feet dry but being pretty discrete looking shoes that won't stand out if you are wearing long dark pants.

15 hours ago, Lany Freelove Strangeways said:

Since you have doubts about the red blazer, I think its best to wear the black blazer.  You know it won't be an issue if you wear the black blazer but it possibly could be if you wear the red.  Best to play it safe with this job interview, I think.  Good luck with the interview!

13 hours ago, Filippa Eilhart said:

I wonder if brides aren't allowed to wear strapless gowns in Italy :P

At the wedding I went to a few years ago in Italy, the bride had one of those dresses where it appeared all conservative and covered up with lace shoulders and sleeves for the church and then the sleeves and shoulder piece came off for the reception so it was strapless.

By the North American style of running shoe I mean shoes like these: https://www.google.ca/search?q=images+of+running+shoes&biw=1600&bih=744&site=webhp&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&sqi=2&ved=0ahUKEwje_cXTnP7LAhVKvoMKHWmyA7AQsAQIIQ

You see people here wear all kinds of colours but the majority of a very similar style, and it's this style most Europeans consider the a trademark of the North American tourist.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a serious nail problem.  I never, ever had fingernails that would grow past the ends of my fingers; until recently.   Murphy's law.   I now have had a job where my shitty, splitty nails collect dry erase marker all day long.  

I was thinking about a date this week and so I looked at my nails.  I just don't know what to say, except I thought NOT a time for a date.  

I remember that there is something called a "natural" manicure.   Does anyone here do this? Is it worth another appointment?  Also, how often?  

Sweet mother of God.  They're awful.

You can get a natural manicure at any nail salon. Instead of polish, request a shiny buff. Every other week is standard maintenance.  Use some CND Solar Oil on your nails and cuticles at night followed by hand cream.  It will aid with the splitting and the dry cuticles.  

15 hours ago, Ravenhair said:

You can get a natural manicure at any nail salon. Instead of polish, request a shiny buff. Every other week is standard maintenance.  Use some CND Solar Oil on your nails and cuticles at night followed by hand cream.  It will aid with the splitting and the dry cuticles.  

Thank you madam.  I don't even want to scratch my own head right now with these things.  BLECH.  I can do every other week, now to find a place near home.   

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I could use some suggestions on casual t-shirts and shirts to be worn untucked with jeans.  I like the fitted look.  I have a slim, athletic build with some decent muscle in my chest/shoulders/back, but a slim waist.  Most stuff that fits my upper torso just balloons around my waist.  Or if it tapers pretty well with the lower torso, then it's too tight around the upper arms and chest and makes it look like I'm trying too hard to show off.  Plus, anything too baggy hides my shape and makes me look like a skinny guy in a baggy t-shirt.

I don't have a body-builder size or anything like that, but I'm not finding any options that fit well.  The stuff designed for heavily muscled guys is too big or exaggerated for me. 

It doesn't seem like my body shape is that unusual -- I see relatively in-shape guys all the time -- but I can't tell where the others are getting their t-shirts. 

Archived