Fashion thread: updating classics

Angalin

Got a chuckle out of this WSJ article about cargo shorts:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/nice-cargo-shorts-youre-sleeping-on-the-sofa-1470082856

Please do not reignite this debate if you hold the (wrong and bad) that cargo shorts are acceptable clothing for literally anyone. This article is presented for entertainment only.

On 6/28/2016 at 1:03 AM, Iskaral Pust said:

I could use some suggestions on casual t-shirts and shirts to be worn untucked with jeans.  I like the fitted look.  I have a slim, athletic build with some decent muscle in my chest/shoulders/back, but a slim waist.  Most stuff that fits my upper torso just balloons around my waist.  Or if it tapers pretty well with the lower torso, then it's too tight around the upper arms and chest and makes it look like I'm trying too hard to show off.  Plus, anything too baggy hides my shape and makes me look like a skinny guy in a baggy t-shirt.

I don't have a body-builder size or anything like that, but I'm not finding any options that fit well.  The stuff designed for heavily muscled guys is too big or exaggerated for me. 

It doesn't seem like my body shape is that unusual -- I see relatively in-shape guys all the time -- but I can't tell where the others are getting their t-shirts. 

Missed this somehow. Not sure where to recommend offhand but have a look at Banana Republic and Land's End. (Yes, I know that last recommendation sounds weird, but check.) Does Express still exist and do they sell t-shirts?

7 hours ago, Inigima said:

Missed this somehow. Not sure where to recommend offhand but have a look at Banana Republic and Land's End. (Yes, I know that last recommendation sounds weird, but check.) Does Express still exist and do they sell t-shirts?

Thanks Ini.  I have some already from BR and was looking for variety.  I did get one from JCrew at my wife's suggestion (at 2x the price I would usually pay).  Express is still around but their fabric is very poor quality -- I got some casual shirts there to wear untucked with jeans and regret it.  I'll look at Land's End.

3 hours ago, kairparavel said:

Cargo shorts (military surplus standard)  look just fine on MC. No debate. Pure fact.

I was just in Seattle for a few days and cargo shorts are still a staple there.  Possibly the least fashionable and yet very image conscious city in America.

7 hours ago, kairparavel said:

Cargo shorts (military surplus standard)  look just fine on MC. No debate. Pure fact.

Fucking right. Accent them with sambas, a t-shirt depicting either beer,  metal, or dork stuff and a pair of sneakers and I am ready for about anything. 

Isk, as a northwestern lad I can attest in saying looking cool is often about not looking cool.

10 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Thanks Ini.  I have some already from BR and was looking for variety.  I did get one from JCrew at my wife's suggestion (at 2x the price I would usually pay).  Express is still around but their fabric is very poor quality -- I got some casual shirts there to wear untucked with jeans and regret it.  I'll look at Land's End.

I bought a couple Nautica t-shirts for my husband last year, and I can say they fit him beautifully.  Pick and choose from the plain ones - the logo ones you'll notice are baggier.  I find 98% cotton with just a touch of spandex to be more fitted.   Now's a good time to pick some up.  They're being cleared out for the next season - if you can believe it!  August already. . .

http://www1.macys.com/shop/mens-clothing/mens-nautica/Mens_product_type/T-Shirts?id=46108

13 hours ago, Tears of Lys said:

I bought a couple Nautica t-shirts for my husband last year, and I can say they fit him beautifully.  Pick and choose from the plain ones - the logo ones you'll notice are baggier.  I find 98% cotton with just a touch of spandex to be more fitted.   Now's a good time to pick some up.  They're being cleared out for the next season - if you can believe it!  August already. . .

http://www1.macys.com/shop/mens-clothing/mens-nautica/Mens_product_type/T-Shirts?id=46108

Thanks ToL.  I agree that a small blend of spandex helps a t-shirt retain a fitted look.

• 4 weeks later...

I read this article over lunch yesterday but was unable to post about it due to the board implosion. Balefont posted it on FB earlier this morning and reminded me...anyways, it's an interesting read on women's clothing/stores. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2016/08/26/why-are-sales-suffering-at-so-many-womens-stores-they-made-bad-clothes/?utm_term=.7cf1002f64b1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Xray the Enforcer said:

I have not tried that line.

Right now, I'm battling with myself whether to buy some comfy "wear to work" shoes. 

I recently gave up that battle. Working at a college, it's pretty casual, but I do wear suits for events. At those events I walk. A lot. Up and down stairs from my office on the third floor to backstage in the basement. No heel, no matter what brand or how expensive is comfortable after 4 hours of running around. I've given up.  I wore flats with my suit last night and do not regret it at all!

Hey you well dressed fashionable folks.

In October I am going to Hawaii for work.  Yes,  I am getting paid to be in Hawaii. Woohoo!

That out of the way as comfortable as I am in my usual garb I want to look a bit more with it on the night I have free when I go out for dinner. 

The fuck does one wear in Hawaii? I own a nice suit but that seems stupid. I want to look like I have my shit together though. 

Help please. 

1 hour ago, MercurialCannibal said:

Hey you well dressed fashionable folks.

In October I am going to Hawaii for work.  Yes,  I am getting paid to be in Hawaii. Woohoo!

That out of the way as comfortable as I am in my usual garb I want to look a bit more with it on the night I have free when I go out for dinner. 

The fuck does one wear in Hawaii? I own a nice suit but that seems stupid. I want to look like I have my shit together though. 

Help please. 

I shit you not but if attending a function hosted by locals, they do expect you to wear a Hawaiian shirt.  On my last business trip there I had to buy when I arrived a new Hawaiian shirt - for a business meeting in a conference room during business hours - because my old one was too ragged for that setting and a regular dress shirt would be "too mainland".

Otherwise a lightweight suit or sport coat in a light color and open neck shirt is good for evening and a polo shirt or dress shirt with rolled sleeves are good during the day.  Smart but not too smart, casual and breezy.  Cotton or linen are fine instead of usual wool. 

The biggest problem is that you might not have this stuff already unless you bring some smart evening clothes on your beach holidays. 

Have fun in Hawaii though.  Try the submarine tour near Waikiki. 

6 minutes ago, R'hllors Red Lobster said:

Would that be limited to a 'traditional' Hawaiian print, or could a suitably fun-yet-loud patterned short sleeve button up/button down shirt pass muster? 

Actual Hawaiian shirt.  Reyn Spooner sells quality ones for business wear.  You wear them tucked into belted dress pants.  It feels really weird but that's business wear over there and locals expect it.  There's some prickly pride about islanders vs mainlanders. 

But if your business event is hosted by mainlanders then it no longer applies. 

(My wife grew up in Hawaii and told me what the locals really think of mainlanders)

On 9/11/2016 at 0:20 PM, Whitestripe said:

I recently gave up that battle. Working at a college, it's pretty casual, but I do wear suits for events. At those events I walk. A lot. Up and down stairs from my office on the third floor to backstage in the basement. No heel, no matter what brand or how expensive is comfortable after 4 hours of running around. I've given up.  I wore flats with my suit last night and do not regret it at all!

It's not even a heels vs no heels thing -- most days I usually just wear western boots to work. I think it's more of "I know I should probably have one pair of comfortable and sensible office-ish shoes but I don't want to spend any money." I should probably just bite the bullet, though. I only have a couple of pairs of shoes that look good for more-formal office-function stuff, but neither of them have very good arch support.

Archived