Fashion thread: updating classics

Angalin

11 hours ago, Datepalm said:

It also meets my general efforts to clean my act up a bit and move on from a lot of the practices and habits that have defined my life/personality since high-school and I'm feeling rather jaded about. You're also perfectly right that there's some personal baggage there that needs to be handled. (Advice i've been getting this week on putting together everything from my outfit to my grad school applications.)

Yeah, I noticed a trend from the other threads.  Although it wasn't clear whether you're really committed yet.  Best of luck with it.  I gather there is a entire movie & TV genre now about Millenials reluctant to embrace the traditional transition into full adulthood.  This may provide some useful tips or least empathetic pathos.

@Buckwheat such things exist. I am on my phone otherwise I would provide some exact links. Are you in the United States? Just as some examples go to the Talbots website and search on "shrug" and it comes in 5 colors. Go to Macy's website and search on "shrug" or "bolero" and you will see a few options. Go to the Kohl's website as well, they have a few options as well.

On 17. 11. 2016 at 11:05 PM, lady narcissa said:

@Buckwheat such things exist. I am on my phone otherwise I would provide some exact links. Are you in the United States? Just as some examples go to the Talbots website and search on "shrug" and it comes in 5 colors. Go to Macy's website and search on "shrug" or "bolero" and you will see a few options. Go to the Kohl's website as well, they have a few options as well.

No, I am currently in Austria. I do not think there are any of those shops here (okay no there are not, all US-limited locations).

But I checked the websites and there are similar things to what I have in mind, so I will probably be able to find something here too. This is very nice.

I am most wondering about colour - my first thought was something beige or very very soft pink, to be the opposite of the black dress. Another opinion I got was that anything I wear with a black dress must necessarily be black too (I think this is boring). The third opinion was red or reddish-purple, which sounds very ... noticeable to me. So I am confused on that.

I agree with Xray, you have no limitations with black.  I tend to pair black with colors like emerald green, royal blue, or turquoise but those are my own personal preferences and work best with my skin tones.  But I also pair it with red, pink, yellow, white, grey, etc.

I'm lookin for ideas for what to wear to my interview. I've already decided to wear trousers because skirts make me uncomfortable, and I thought a formal shirt (both of which I already own). I might wear a blazer or something too. What I'm struggling with is shoes. I always struggle to know what kind shoes to wear with trousers (I rarely dress formally, the few times I do I tend to be in situations where I'm comfortable enough to wear a dress/skirt). Can I wear heels? I never know if they look out of place or not. In terms of flats, I very rarely see any I like and have no idea what to pair with trousers. In short, formality is not my strong point, please help.

@HelenaExMachina Yes, you can wear heels with pants.  I see women wearing all heights of heels with pants.  I think it really depends on the pants length and width and what looks best with the style you are wearing.  Personally I wear flat loafers or monk strap shoes that match whatever color pants I am wearing.  I cannot wear heels.

@Buckwheat I saw lots of shrugs when I was in the stores last night and thought of you.  Hopefully you find one you like!

Re: Heels with pants. . .  I always wear heels with pants.  The heels have gotten progressively (or regressively?) lower as time goes on.  Currently it's kitten heels around 1-2".  If you don't feel comfortable in that low of a heel, you can go for neutral colored wedges with a softly pointed toe.  They give more of a secure feeling while still giving you a somewhat dressy look. 

Here's a variety of the kind of shoe I mean:

http://www.zappos.com/ecco-belleair-wedge-black-black

http://www.ninewest.com/Ispy-Wedge-Heels/15088261,default,pd.html?variantColor=JJ169A0&q=wedge pumps

I would stay away from really round-toed shoes (unless you HAVE to have that kind of shoe) or flats, pointy-toed or otherwise.  That's what **I'd** do, anyway.  I'm not sure what job you're interviewing for and what kind of field you're in.  Some work environments welcome creativity and style, others not so much.   I am unfortunately in a field where if you dress too "out there," someone is more than likely to drop a dime on you to your boss. 

"They" say to dress for the job you want, not the job you have.  But I can't help it if I've always wanted to be a God Empress. 

8 hours ago, Datepalm said:

Is a rounded toe less formal/dressy than a pointy one? I thought rounded toe was, like, conservative, and the pointy ones more flamboyant. Or maybe that's the medieval Burgundians or something.

It really depends on the shoe, I guess, but you're probably right.  I've always associated rounded-toe shoe wearers with sturdiness, dependability, conservatism (not in the political sense,) and common sense - qualities that I'm sure any employer would want in an employee.  They are generally to be found in libraries and are good to their mothers.

OTOH, pointed-toe shoe wearers embody the devil-may-care attitude, unpredictability, and loose morals.  They live for today and leave bunions, plantar fasciitis, foreshortened calf muscles and the like for a far away tomorrow.  They are likely to stay out late at night drinking and smoking, though, so the chances of their actually GETTING these ailments is probably slim.

It must be said that against all common sense, judgment, and the advice of my doctor and parents, I've always worn somewhat pointed-toe shoes.  So I'm sure because **I** like them, I'm biased.  :D 

5 hours ago, Tears of Lys said:

It really depends on the shoe, I guess, but you're probably right.  I've always associated rounded-toe shoe wearers with sturdiness, dependability, conservatism (not in the political sense,) and common sense - qualities that I'm sure any employer would want in an employee.  They are generally to be found in libraries and are good to their mothers.

OTOH, pointed-toe shoe wearers embody the devil-may-care attitude, unpredictability, and loose morals.  They live for today and leave bunions, plantar fasciitis, foreshortened calf muscles and the like for a far away tomorrow.  They are likely to stay out late at night drinking and smoking, though, so the chances of their actually GETTING these ailments is probably slim.

It must be said that against all common sense, judgment, and the advice of my doctor and parents, I've always worn somewhat pointed-toe shoes.  So I'm sure because **I** like them, I'm biased.  :D 

Actually, sometimes someone wears a shoe style because it's the only one available to fit their feet.

I think it's just the aesthetics of it for me...Reasonable boring grown up shoe vs. startling vampire shoe. But close to identical level of formality on a scale that starts at hiking sandals and dirty sneakers and runs through to, like, Sex and the City shoes. What is a really formal shoe for a woman anyway?

Could be anything from this to this to this to this. I stuck with one color scheme because I want you to focus on shape and aesthetics. Note that the heel height varies, but the heel profile is generally slim. Note that I've picked sandals, mary janes, pumps, and slingbacks (four very different types of shoe), but that they all have a generally sleek/streamlined profile. That's what you are looking for in a purely formal shoe. Re: color -- black and silver are your two best options in this area. 

I think I'm struggling to logic-out celebratory-happy-formal (dresses! decolletages! shiny things!) and stuffy-serious-formal...business meetings, conference presentations, er, funerals? (not so much decolletage or shiny things.) Flannel presumably inappropriate at both.

"Formal" attire is an actual, specific term to describe an actual, specific type of clothing approach. "Formal" means "fancy party." 
Business meetings require "business" attire -- that is, actual specific types of clothing appropriate for business meetings. In the clothing world, these are two different, non-interchangeable concepts, especially when it comes to women's clothing.  

I honestly absolutely did not know that. Would not have guessed that formal actually means fancy either. Though maybe its one of those flaws of second-language English, where it's not a lived-in language. Like not knowing exactly which spice is which. (ie, and not my sartorial disregard per se.)

Archived