Fashion thread: updating classics

Angalin

Yes, I think this is one of those classic jargon problems, where terms mean specific things in specific contexts, that can make a non-native language a total nightmare. And just to drive that home -- in the UK, "fancy dress" and "formal dress" are NOT interchangeable. There the former means wearing a disguise or costume (e.g. your favorite My Little Pony character), and the latter means "wedding, gala, ball, etc." In the US, we use "fancy" and "formal" somewhat interchangeably, at least verbally, but on an official invitation it will always "formal attire" or "black tie."

5 hours ago, Whitestripe said:

Ok folks. What's the deal with ankle pants in winter? It's freaking cold here. And are slim ankle pants and ankle boots a thing? I need trousers, thank you very much. 

I just bought another pair. :blush:   I'm intending to wear them with boots too.  According to the Farmer's Almanac, the upper Midwest is due for a mild but wet winter, so I think it won't be a problem.

OTOH, I also bought some fleece-lined tights too, so I'm hedging my bets. 

Best men's dress socks? I've tried a lot of brands and had mixed feelings about most of them. Emphasis on construction quality/durability, but given the option, I work in a fairly casual environment these days and would prefer modern, more interesting patterns.

I haven't found good options for dress socks.  I've bought Under Armor and Gold Toe for solid colors because I like some cushioning and heft to my socks.  I hate those limp rags commonly purveyed as dress socks.

I'm still looking for less boring design options with the same structural rigor.  

Hmm... I have a problem.

I really want these:

http://www.janedebster.com.au/estore/style/crush40s15.aspx?c=307

But I have no readily available excuse to convince my partner that I need them. Suggestions? :P 

I'm feeling really fifties lately. I read somewhere that you discover your grandparents' fashion. Totes true in my case.

1 minute ago, Xray the Enforcer said:

Because it's the holidays soon and that means parties. And parties mean new goddamned shoes.

Lol! :P

I'll see how that goes down. ;)

I'm currently sweating these two pairs of shoes:

http://www.thefryecompany.com/sabrina-double-buckle/d/77474C24406?CategoryId=107

http://www.thefryecompany.com/stella-slip/d/76462C9645?CategoryId=124

But the stupid thing is -- I don't really need either pair. We're coming on winter here, and while I have waterproof/warm knee-high boots (that aren't ugly, surprisingly enough), I don't have any really nice pair of knee-high boots in, like, the first time in two decades. So I need to invest there before I buy yet another ankle boot or oxford...

30 minutes ago, Yukle said:

Hmm... I have a problem.

I really want these:

http://www.janedebster.com.au/estore/style/crush40s15.aspx?c=307

But I have no readily available excuse to convince my partner that I need them. Suggestions? :P 

I'm feeling really fifties lately. I read somewhere that you discover your grandparents' fashion. Totes true in my case.

I really love those. I could not wear a heel that high, but they are lovely.  I would. It them in a minute  because I'd be able to wear them with everything.

38 minutes ago, Xray the Enforcer said:

I'm currently sweating these two pairs of shoes:

http://www.thefryecompany.com/sabrina-double-buckle/d/77474C24406?CategoryId=107

http://www.thefryecompany.com/stella-slip/d/76462C9645?CategoryId=124

But the stupid thing is -- I don't really need either pair. We're coming on winter here, and while I have waterproof/warm knee-high boots (that aren't ugly, surprisingly enough), I don't have any really nice pair of knee-high boots in, like, the first time in two decades. So I need to invest there before I buy yet another ankle boot or oxford...

ZOMG! Those prices! :o:o:o That's... more than I normally spend by a lot...

But maybe not for much longer - the Slip is gorgeous! Can't decide if I like the whiskey or black better... why not have both? ;) 

34 minutes ago, Whitestripe said:

I really love those. I could not wear a heel that high, but they are lovely.  I would. It them in a minute  because I'd be able to wear them with everything.

I'm pretty short. :P I'm used to heels, but I go through stages of loving heels and hating them. Usually just after wearing them for a whole night I hate them, and putting them on to complete an outfit I love them ;) 

I'm trying to convince my SO that they're perfect for anything. The suggestion was that they're not suitable for football, but I'm pretty sure I could manage it.

On 11/27/2016 at 2:32 PM, Xray the Enforcer said:

smartwool makes light and extra-light cushion socks. I've found them to be extremely durable. 

I love smartwool socks so much, I follow them on Twitter. McGregor too.

17 hours ago, lady narcissa said:

Xray take a look at www.blondo.ca and www.lacanadienneshoes.com Both have waterproof ankle boots/ booties in addition to a range of heights. They are my go to nice looking winter boots brands. Trust the Canadiens to do winter right.

Oh yes. Yesyesyes. La Canadienne manufacture in Canada still, I think.

20 hours ago, lady narcissa said:

Xray take a look at www.blondo.ca and www.lacanadienneshoes.com Both have waterproof ankle boots/ booties in addition to a range of heights. They are my go to nice looking winter boots brands. Trust the Canadiens to do winter right.

Nice ones! There are a couple of different pairs in there that look great. Now I need to measure my calf to see if there will be any issues with that...

On 11/30/2016 at 0:41 AM, Xray the Enforcer said:

Ugh. Just had one of those mornings where nothing looked or felt good when I put it on. So I just threw on a bunch of things and I now look like a very nicely dressed hobo. :| 

That's me everyday. Today I had a student say, "Your hair looks nice. What did you do?"

"... I brushed it."

• 1 month later...

Archived