Fashion thread: updating classics

Angalin

18 hours ago, Tears of Lys said:

I was thinking that if you didn't like the tassel, you could cut it off.  :dunno:   

Funny, I just bought a clip-on tassel for my purse. 

:idea:  If you cut them off, send them to me!

I got the non tassels last night and I love them :)  So I think that is it on boots. They are drying after their first coat of protective spray....

• 2 weeks later...

I finally pulled the trigger and bought a pair of these shoes for casual wear with dark jeans: Allen Edmonds

I usually only wear light colored sneakers with dark jeans, so I wanted to add a slightly less casual option.  The sale price was an incentive to finally purchase, plus I am more pleased now with the Allen Edmonds dress shoes I bought a year ago.  They got more comfortable as I wore them more.

But I'm still looking for new options for dress shoes.  I still like my Bruno Magli but I've heard their quality became more unpredictable since I purchased mine.  Allen Edmonds are good shoes but overall I prefer a sleeker Italian style for dress shoes.

27 minutes ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

Like the shoes!  My husband has a pair of Ferragamos that he really likes. They run narrow though.

Yes they do.  I wear E-EEE depending on the brand and construction.

They're also very expensive.  John Lobb costs not much more than Ferragamo and are (IMO) on a whole other level for quality.  If I was willing to go as far as Ferragamo, perhaps I should just go the whole hog.

Get thee behind me, Satan!

Just now, Iskaral Pust said:

Yes they do.  I wear E-EEE depending on the brand and construction.

They're also very expensive.  John Lobb costs not much more than Ferragamo and are (IMO) on a whole other level for quality.  If I was willing to go as far as Ferragamo, perhaps I should just go the whole hog.

Get thee behind me, Satan!

They are expensive.  I believe he got his on sale.....they have held up well - I think he's resoled them a couple of times, but that's normal.

slander. the committee for boot production was following information given them by the census bureau which showed that there were 3 to 5 times the amount of left feet in the nation as right feet. 

20 hours ago, Myshkin said:

slander. the committee for boot production was following information given them by the census bureau which showed that there were 3 to 5 times the amount of left feet in the nation as right feet. 

They must have misinterpreted a missive from the committee for evaluating dance proficiency.  

• 2 weeks later...

An expensively stupid mistake by me today.  I'm traveling for business and dressed casually in jeans for the outbound flight.  I would usually wear a pair of dress shoes with the jeans in these situations so that I have appropriate shoes when I change into a suit.  But I was on autopilot as I left and just put on my sneakers.  I only realized as O boarded the flight.

Luckily there's an Allen Edmonds here near my meeting and I had enough time to buy a pair of shoes before the dinner this evening.  I got a nice pair of standard black oxfords, so it's not like I wasted money on a pair of throwaway shoes, but still a stupid expense to incur.  

On 27/01/2017 at 2:20 AM, Myshkin said:

what updating is necessary? a peasant blouse, a long wool coat, and a fur cap with eaflaps is all the noble laborer will ever need.

On 27/01/2017 at 2:25 AM, Fragile Bird said:

Boots. Big boots.

*cough* im not saying i *do* have all of these things, every single one, earflaps and all...but I'm not saying I DON'T either...

I will admit to huge steel toe cap working men's boots but i couldn't tell you exactly why i love them so much 

15 hours ago, Theda Baratheon said:

*cough* im not saying i *do* have all of these things, every single one, earflaps and all...but I'm not saying I DON'T either...

I will admit to huge steel toe cap working men's boots but i couldn't tell you exactly why i love them so much 

I wear steel toe work boots every day because I am required to do so at my work. I have tried all different types but Canadian made Terra's are just the best. If you ever need a new pair.

17 minutes ago, maarsen said:

I wear steel toe work boots every day because I am required to do so at my work. I have tried all different types but Canadian made Terra's are just the best. If you ever need a new pair.

theyre just so comfortable ??? i mean they're heavy but ive been wearing big boots almost every day since i was 16 

• 4 weeks later...

I'm bumping this thread because I need ideas! I am going to a wedding on March 31st on Long Island, NY and although I own a bunch of dresses I am very, very worried about getting too cold. I tend to get cold easily and don't know what to wear that is 'fancy' enough for a wedding but will also keep me warm?

23 minutes ago, Turinqui-Calima said:

I'm bumping this thread because I need ideas! I am going to a wedding on March 31st on Long Island, NY and although I own a bunch of dresses I am very, very worried about getting too cold. I tend to get cold easily and don't know what to wear that is 'fancy' enough for a wedding but will also keep me warm?

How about something like this:

https://www.gilt.com/brand/shoshanna/product/1183864499-shoshanna-lace-flared-dress?origin=search

or

https://www.gilt.com/brand/english-factory/product/1173488667-english-factory-woven-dotted-dress?origin=search

or

https://www.gilt.com/brand/maia/product/1138846063-maia-blurred-stripe-sequin-dress?origin=search

1 hour ago, Turinqui-Calima said:

Zabzie offered some tasteful, elegant options (as ever), although my past experience is that the more common approach is -- less tasteful or elegant -- to simply use surplus alcohol to feel warm instead.  I'd suggest following Zabzie's approach but different people attend weddings with different objectives.  YMMV.

Archived