Fashion thread: updating classics

Angalin

Of those, I recommend the Clarks if you can find some you like. I personally hate the look of all their current shoes, but I found the pair I owned not too long ago both comfortable and durable, versus Kenneth Coles which I thought were neither when I tried them.

• 1 month later...

Got some new casual kicks. Got the first pair today, second is on order.

#1: Adidas Neo SE Daily Vulc

z8ErZKP.jpg

#2: Ralph Lauren Polo Vaughn

SKnNDY4.jpg

I normally don't like Adidas, but the stupid three-stripe motif is relatively unobtrusive and I like the rest of the shoe a lot. And they are *super* comfortable.

More than a little worried about QC on the Polos. Decided to chance it because I like the shoe so much, and it's from Zappos, so if I have to return it, it should be easy.

19 hours ago, Inigima said:

z8ErZKP.jpg

SKnNDY4.jpg

I normally don't like Adidas, but the stupid three-stripe motif is relatively unobtrusive and I like the rest of the shoe a lot. And they are *super* comfortable.

More than a little worried about QC on the Polos. Decided to chance it because I like the shoe so much, and it's from Zappos, so if I have to return it, it should be easy.

LOVE the graphite color Adidas shoes!  I've been on the lookout for a medium-to-light grey pair forever.  Talbots had ones I really liked last year, but I had a wave of cheapness wash over me, and they sold out before going on sale.

The Polo ones I like except for the ubiquitous polo player on them. 

Those green sneaks are gorgeous.

ToL, Ahnu has a pair of grey shoes (look for the charcoal grey) that remind me a little of the Adidas without the stripes. I have a pair and the first time I put them on, they felt like slippers. Bought them half a size smaller than usual and have never looked back.

On ‎2‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 5:07 PM, Angalin said:

Those green sneaks are gorgeous.

ToL, Ahnu has a pair of grey shoes (look for the charcoal grey) that remind me a little of the Adidas without the stripes. I have a pair and the first time I put them on, they felt like slippers. Bought them half a size smaller than usual and have never looked back.

Alas!  They're out of my size.  :( 

I was able to pre-order some Talbots grey sneakers that won't be in for another month.  Hope they're comfortable :unsure: 

Can anyone recommend a chain or department store (or Boston area outlet) that carries men's plain, 100% cotton, work-a-day socks in a decent variety of colors?  Ever since the great white socks burning of '09 I've really been trying to colorize my sock drawer up a bit, but it's been curiously difficult to find men's socks in colors that aren't either white or some degree of black/grey.  

I've been making due with some variety packs of brownish hues from JCP's that range from sandy to chocolate brown, and a few pairs in olive drab that came from I forget where. But I think I'm ready to branch out a bit.  Try some other actual colors.  

thanks

7 minutes ago, The Mance said:

Can anyone recommend a chain or department store (or Boston area outlet) that carries men's plain, 100% cotton, work-a-day socks in a decent variety of colors?  Ever since the great white socks burning of '09 I've really been trying to colorize my sock drawer up a bit, but it's been curiously difficult to find men's socks in colors that aren't either white or some degree of black/grey.  

I've been making due with some variety packs of brownish hues from JCP's that range from sandy to chocolate brown, and a few pairs in olive drab that came from I forget where. But I think I'm ready to branch out a bit.  Try some other actual colors.  

thanks

Are these for office wear with dress shoes? Or casual with sneakers or what?

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/23/2016 at 10:11 PM, Inigima said:

z8ErZKP.jpg

SKnNDY4.jpg

long time out of date, but totally dig the adidas. those are sweet. 

got a new pair of sambas recently. they truly are the finest shoe on the planet. delved into some other casual sneaker types recently to no success. 

gola though cool looking lacked something and tore out at the toe too easily. pumas come in a million collars but daily wearing wrecked a pair in only six months. i still love the suede grey and pink number that look absolutely sick with my matching pink and white dress shirt and grey sport coat. 

On February 26, 2016 at 10:21 AM, The Mance said:

thanks

Hmmm, is 100% cotton a deal breaker? If not, and strange as it may sound, might be worth checking out your local newbury comics clearance depts. kinda of a crapshoot, but might be able to find some comfortable and funky-classy (to varying degrees) from brands like Brixton, Obey, or Richer Poorer. But, as someone on my feet for 10-12 hours a day, can't beat Stance. Definitely on the older side of style usually, and more athletic construction, but I love their stuff, and they make a bunch of styles I rock with a suit/dress up occasions. But that's just me, and I don't really 'do' plain socks, so YMMV. 

tl;dr probably won't be your go-to, but if you are there it's work looking around I guess

You can custom order Adidas through their website and get the color combinations you want and have the stripes blend in or stand out as you like.  I did that the other year with Puma and got a solid pair of navy suede blue sneakers which blend in perfectly with a navy suit for walking to and from work purposes.  I would have gotten more and done some fun color combinations but sadly Puma seems to have discontinued the service.  Adidas are normally too narrow for my feet or I would do it through them.

Regarding colored cotton socks...this is not a helpful recommendation but it reminds me that last year when I was in Berlin in Galeries Lafayette in the men's department, they had this whole wall filled with socks by Falke.  There were all sorts of amazing colors and fabrics.  I got a couple of pairs as a treat and now I really wish I had purchased some more because I absolutely love them and how they have kept their shape and color and how they stay up when you are wearing them.  And how they are shaped and labeled for right and left feet!  But they are way overpriced on this side of the ocean and not readily available and sadly they don't have a USA website.  But they do have all sorts of fabulous colors *sigh*

I recently suffered a bout of temporary insanity due to spring fever so I purchased a pair of shoes.  

https://www.talbots.com/online/browse/product_details.jsp?id=prdi37140&defaultColor=9921&N=11529&selectedConcept=

They're somewhat uncomfortable, being very narrow in the toe, but looked soooo springy and cute on, that I HAD to have them.  Being lilac, they probably have limited usage possibilities too. :(  Although, they would look cute with navy blue, I guess. 

On 3/15/2016 at 0:43 PM, Iskaral Pust said:

Those Allen Edmond shoes I got still aren't as comfortable as I would like after three months of wearing once or twice a week.  They still look great but I don't think I'll be getting another pair.

At twice a week that's only 25 or so wearings.  My pair took a good 60 days (probably more) before the cork and leather broke in properly.  My wingtips, that I wear once or twice a month, are still not fully broken in after two years.  I also just got a pair of boots that aren't broken in after about 30 wearings.  But on the other hand I have a pair of summer boat shoes that I wore for the first time a few weekends ago, and those were broken in after a few days.

Archived