Movies that were better than the books they were based on (Spoilers for movies and books, obviously)

CyanidePie

Was having this conversation with a friend and he mentioned Fight Club and The Bourne movies as being better than their book counterparts but I have not read any of those books. The one I thought of immediately was Jurassic Park.

It is astounding to me how mind-numbing and lifeless that book is compared to the movie.

Steven Spielberg made a magical movie that inspired my love of cinema and expanded my imagination. It was full of wonder and excitement and discovery. Followed by such terror and regret and soul-crushing sadness for these people and this lovable old billionaire who had worked towards and realized a childhood dream only to watch it crumble and destroy peoples' lives in the process.

Michael Crichton on the other hand, wrote what can only be described as a methodically soulless scientific dissertation on the spacial patterns and behavioral instincts of genetically modified creatures that NEVER existed before, therefore making all of the theorizing on and observation of said patterns and behaviors completely non-applicable to actual dinosaurs and ultimately fucking pointless to read about. Also, there's a lot of talk about the mundane legalese behind opening up a theme park. Like, pages and pages of the shit. There is ZERO wonder or amazement in any of the characters, they're all just robots who have time to contemplate the meaning behind these creations, even when one of them is lying there getting eaten. Where every other person on earth would be thinking "OHFUCKOHFUCKOHFUCK."

It is absolutely bizarre that a beloved action-packed movie was made from whateverthefuck that book was. I can only imagine that it was all based on the concept, and the rest was due solely to the brilliance of Steven Spielberg's vision for what it should have been.

The one that comes to mind is The Road. The book was ok but I had to force my way through a lot of it and I just enjoyed the movie a lot more.

I also thought Jurrasic Park the book was better than the movie but I did like the movie too.

Interview with a Vampire.
I tried to read the ot recently and the movie is way better

No F-ing way. While a very good movie, it leaves out too many things that are important to the series as a whole. Too bad they never could do the other books justices.

I also like Jurassic Park and Forrest Gump the books better the film again there was so much that they cut, that was important to the story as a whole. And yes I read Gump and Co.

I would say the film, Blade Runner did a lot of things better then the book. To take it a step further, half of the films based off of RKD's work improved/updated his work. The other half failed to live up to his ideas. 

Fight Club

Fear and Loathing

Children of Men

Dr. Stranglove

The Godfather

The Shining

Apocalypse Now. 

The Godfather is the obvious one. 

I'm not sure if 2001 counts as a movie based on a book, since Clarke wrote the book (though not the original short story) co-currently with the script. 

The obvious modern examples is 50 Shades Of Grey. As someone who has only seen snippets of the film and read a few extracts of the novel, surely the film has got to be a lot better. Plus, the torture (of being exposed to the inane story) ends faster with the film.

Last of the Mohicans.

:bowdown:

The one that comes to mind is The Road. The book was ok but I had to force my way through a lot of it and I just enjoyed the movie a lot more.

Really? I prefer the book.

Fight Club - Better movie

Fear and Loathing - Better book

Children of Men - Better movie

Dr. Stranglove - Better movie (Kubrik's only better adaptation)

The Godfather - Better movie

The Shining - Much better book

2001 - Much better book

Apocalypse Now. - closest to a tie, but the movie has more cultural importance.

The one that absolutely tops my list is Dancing with Wolves. The book was dry and the main character was highly unlikable. runner up to me is Forest Gump.

How bad a book or movie is is totally subjective, so I don't know how I can be exaggerating. There are spurts here and there in Jurassic Park that are genuinely interesting, and the way they find out that the dinosaurs are breeding is much more tense and interesting than the movie where Alan just finds dinosaur eggs but other than that it is one of the worst books I've ever read.

There are so many parts where action is happening and it's so horribly described that it takes multiple times reading it to figure out what the hell is going on, and when you can understand the action that's taking place, it's written in such a boring way that you just don't care. I lost count how many times I was just sitting there going "Holy shit why are you writing this scene this way???" Nothing in the book is scary at all, it's just described in the most literal prose possible, as if you had a robot describe Jurassic Park the movie but without the ability to understand human emotion. There are no likable characters in the book at all, especially John Hammond who is just an insufferable asshole.

I just felt angry after reading that book, and am thoroughly glad that it is not the work that's most associated with the Jurassic Park property.

How bad a book or movie is is totally subjective, so I don't know how I can be exaggerating. There are spurts here and there in Jurassic Park that are genuinely interesting, and the way they find out that the dinosaurs are breeding is much more tense and interesting than the movie where Alan just finds dinosaur eggs but other than that it is one of the worst books I've ever read.

There are so many parts where action is happening and it's so horribly described that it takes multiple times reading it to figure out what the hell is going on, and when you can understand the action that's taking place, it's written in such a boring way that you just don't care. I lost count how many times I was just sitting there going "Holy shit why are you writing this scene this way???" Nothing in the book is scary at all, it's just described in the most literal prose possible, as if you had a robot describe Jurassic Park the movie but without the ability to understand human emotion. There are no likable characters in the book at all, especially John Hammond who is just an insufferable asshole.

I just felt angry after reading that book, and am thoroughly glad that it is not the work that's most associated with the Jurassic Park property.

There are a bunch of great scenes in the book that aren't even in the movie.  The entire river/raft plotline is taken out, and that has some great moments, like when the Tyrannosaur wades into the lake after them and the lake isn't deep enough to submerge her, so she's just like an alligator with only her head sticking up.  When the raft comes to a waterfall and the Tyrannosaur is waiting for them at the bottom.  When the T-rex has his tongue wrapped around Tim and is dragging him into her mouth.  When Muldoon and Gennaro (who's character is much better in the book) confront the velociraptors with their rocket launcher.  When the shit hits the fan and Muldoon has to back into wedge himself into a concrete pipe with raptors snarling at him.  When Arnold then Gennaro then Grant have to go into the pitch black maintenance building knowing that raptors are somewhere inside. 

I feel like I could go on, but Jurassic Park is a very exciting and action packed book.  The movie does a few scenes very well (namely, the first reveal of the Brontosaurus, the TRex attacking the cars, and the kitchen scene), but on the whole, it is a Spielberg movie, for good and bad.  It's a very different animal from the book, and both are good in their own way. 

Archived