Ian McShane Cast

asc878

Ian McShane was cast and it was said that he would not have that much screen time. My original thought would be that he will play Gryff as they have not announced who he is playing. The only other person I would guess is Euron Greyjoy as he is a fairly big actor. Any thoughts?

Why would they cast Griff now? And I imagine they'll make Euron younger than McShane, closer to his book age. Euron will probably be the next series' bad boy. Euron and 20 good sailors sorta thing.

And McShane is to have little screen time, few scenes, but they're important. Without more info I'm thinking Rickard Stark.

I like him for Hightower. At first, I thought he would be great for Maester Marwyn, though with the statement that he won't have much screen time, that seems unlikely now.

Not necessarily. Just think of all the great actors that have been completely wasted so far. Last series alone, Siddig, Pryce, Lesser, I'm sure there are more. Pryce had a bit more to do, but Siddig? And Anton Lesser had a lot less screen time and dialogue than Olly, Myranda, and Olyvar.

Not necessarily. Just think of all the great actors that have been completely wasted so far. Last series alone, Siddig, Pryce, Lesser, I'm sure there are more. Pryce had a bit more to do, but Siddig? And Anton Lesser had a lot less screen time and dialogue than Olly, Myranda, and Olyvar.

That is true, I didn't even think of that.

I don't know why I just assume that he's going to be Howland Reed. Maybe it's that he has the same kind of black curly hair as Meera Reed (Ellie Kendrick.) His character would only be in the tower of joy sequence and maybe meeting someone in the present day. Character could be the last one that knows the truth about Jon Snow and thus his Ian McShane would have a "big moment" in the reveal of R+L=J?

Who knows?

(whispers) although the character isn't the best, I like the actress Charlotte Hope.

I don't think Pryce was very wasted, he was in the top 20 characters with the most screentime.

But agree with Siddig and Olly...

(whispers) although the character isn't the best, I like the actress Charlotte Hope.
I don't think Pryce was very wasted, he was in the top 20 characters with the most screentime.
But agree with Siddig and Olly...

Oh, I have absolutely nothing against any of the actors that played the 'supposedly minor' and invented roles I've mentioned! On the contrary, from what I've seen, they're all very good.

The issue for me is that they cast these awesome actors, only to completely waste them. Another I forgot to mention is Ciaran Hinds.
I shudder to think what will happen with Max von Sydow and McShane.

Has anyone considered that McShane might be playing one of the Northern Lords rather than Euron or Tarly? Granted, he doesn't match the age or height criteria for either part but it's not as though a casting director would worry about such things when it comes to someone of McShane's stature and popularity.

Lord of Noble Northern House: (Casting age anywhere between 25-50) The lord is a savage warrior, and he rules a distinguished house in the very far North, and the role is said to be an impactful one. He’s described as a massive bear of a man with a beard and temper to match, and hatred that run deep, and he can be violent. The show’s looking for someone with a powerful physique who can tower over other cast members, a Northern English Accent and specifies he has to be at least 180 cm tall. The role will be on 2 episodes.

Lord of Northern Stronghold: The show’s looking for an actor in his late thirties or forties to play another lord, one that’s ruthless and calculating. The frightening lord rules a vassal household with a castle stronghold. He’ll be in 3 episodes this year, with 20 days of filming this summer and fall.

Max Von Sydow wrote a welcome tweet to some of the other GoT actors when it was announced he was joining, in it he included @ericroberts. It might mean Eric has some involvement in S6, it might be a mistake.

Without any other confirmation I'm inclined to think it was a mistake.

I would think that too. If Eric didn't retweet it himself. 

Patrick Malahide, the actor that plays Theon’s father is 70 years old and does not look like a young man.  Ian McShane is 72, but looks younger than his age.  McShane could easily play Malahide’s younger brother Euron.

McShane also has the intensity and gravitas to play a harsh & demanding military father, like Randy Tarly.

I highly doubt he would play another Greyjoy and somebody not named as a member of the upcoming season 6 cast.

• 3 months later...

Archived