GRRM on Gendry and Arya (Allegedly)

Joan Jett

Noooo, I don't. I want NEGATIVE POPULATION GROWTH. I just think ZPG was not a thing in Law School and I am an aged 40 year old who mostly reads history.

Vancouver, BC Canada, one of the most desired cities in the world to live in, suck it!

On Saturday we had a windstorm that uprooted trees all over the city, see, we have trees!, or had trees!

A Canuck.  I should have realized that.

You take the best of America and the worst of Europe.

Dunno heh

Arya didn't seem overly romantically fond of Gendry, I mean, she was 9 or something. I am sure he will love an assassin.

People often bring up Arya's age as an excuse, but other kids like Bran and Myrcella were able to have romantic crushes. The closest Arya's came to being romantic with Gendry was the "Wendy the White Fawn" thought and right after she scolded herself for it. It doesn't help that she feels abandoned by him.
I think if Arya's "crush" was supposed to be significant, then she would have at least blushed around him or desired physical contact. If Arya thinks of Gendry on her own accord in TWOW then I'll start believing that they have a real chance.

But right now A/G is like J/V to me.

People often bring up Arya's age as an excuse, but other kids like Bran and Myrcella were able to have romantic crushes. The closest Arya's came to being romantic with Gendry was the "Wendy the White Fawn" thought and right after she scolded herself for it. It doesn't help that she feels abandoned by him.
I think if Arya's "crush" was supposed to be significant, then she would have at least blushed around him or desired physical contact. If Arya thinks of Gendry on her own accord in TWOW then I'll start believing that they have a real chance.

She notices he has deep blue eyes, though she's about to fight him for sport.

She notices his ear smells of soap, though she's on high alert over gold cloaks with a warrant from queen

She knows about 5-6 different "faces"/look of him.

She's afraid what he might think about her brother's men raping villager women

We barely know a third of Hot Pie's body language, than we do of Gendry's. I'd say she's highly focused on him, almost from the start. But there's no way she's going to admit that, because she doesn't believe a handsome boy could ever like her in a "crush" way. She believes that naturally she'll be paired with the fat boys, not the handsome ones. It's also the reason why she never forms the thought "handsome" for Gendry, but uses "strong" instead. She can think of Jaqen as handsome or Joffrey, and she's aware of Jaqen (smell, looks) in the same way as she is of Gendry. But Jaqen is an adult man, and supposedly a criminal. So, there's no romantic expectation even subconsciously for Jaqen. So, thinking of him as "handsome" is safe for her. It isn't when it comes to Gendry.

She notices he has deep blue eyes, though she's about to fight him for sport.
She notices his ear smells of soap, though she's on high alert over gold cloaks with a warrant from queen
She knows about 5-6 different "faces"/look of him.
She's afraid what he might think about her brother's men raping villager women

We barely know a third of Hot Pie's body language, than we do of Gendry's. I'd say she's highly focused on him, almost from the start. But there's no way she's going to admit that, because she doesn't believe a handsome boy could ever like her in a "crush" way. She believes that naturally she'll be paired with the fat boys, not the handsome ones. It's also the reason why she never forms the thought "handsome" for Gendry, but uses "strong" instead. She can think of Jaqen as handsome or Joffrey, and she's aware of Jaqen (smell, looks) in the same way as she is of Gendry. But Jaqen is an adult man, and supposedly a criminal. So, there's no romantic expectation even subconsciously for Jaqen. So, thinking of him as "handsome" is safe for her. It isn't when it comes to Gendry.

Makes sense.

But I'm more concerns with her feelings now. Like I said if Arya thinks of Gendry in TWOW (in which I expect she will have many chapters) we will know that he really meant something to her. But right now it seems like he's fading from her heart.

Makes sense.

But I'm more concerns with her feelings now. Like I said if Arya thinks of Gendry in TWOW (in which I expect she will have many chapters) we will know that he really meant something to her. But right now it seems like he's fading from her heart.

I also think she is blocking the thoughts of anything he may be feeling about him

Right now, she just thinks she'd better be no one's daughter, no one's wife, no one's mother. But deeply inside, that's not true. Because we know he felt deeply about his father, at least.

I also think she is blocking the thoughts of anything he may be feeling about him

Right now, she just thinks she'd better be no one's daughter, no one's wife, no one's mother. But deeply inside, that's not true. Because we know he felt deeply about his father, at least.

Possible.  Sometimes the safest and sanest thing to do is not think about someone who means a lot to you, especially if you think there's no future in it.

Well she's blocking thoughts about all of her friends and family right now. But she still manages to think of her father and Jon in ADWD. And she still has needle. We'll just have to wait and see.

analysis

I think GRRM would have done something with Jaqen/Arya if the 5 year gap would have happened.. as a minor thing, sounds crackpot, but I just get that feeling. I remember reading Lady Evyta's analysis of all 5 senses of attraction being present during the Jaqen and Arya convo, it's weird but.. 

Well she's blocking thoughts about all of her friends and family right now. But she still manages to think of her father and Jon in ADWD. And she still has needle. We'll just have to wait and see.

Agree. Yes, she has needle, she still is Arya Stark, but her new experiences at the HoBaW are testing her inner self all the time. And she is stubborn and she'll do/say anything to be a good novice.

I was just pointing out that she decided, reluctantly, that she'd be Ok being no one's daughter, but at the same, as you say, she loves her father. So yes, blocking/not acceptng is a mechanism she uses frequently in the last book.

I'm confused, could you please clarify. :dunno:

Someone else posted the same thing that OP was about on here but it's not the same source.

As for Jaqen being a criminal I don't see that being a problem. She knew what he was and it was him she wanted to be like. Most of the people she hangs around in Braavos now are criminals. Jaqen is more like her than Gendry is. Gendry hasn't even seen what she is completely capable of which didn't happen until Braavos. The worst he saw her do was the Bolton guard which can still be explained that they were going to die if she hadn't. Granted I'm not arguing that she saw Jaqen in that way but I don't see being a criminal as a dealbreaker.

I think she doesn't think of him precisely because they have different paths. In the original story Arya and Jon were thinking of their love and the conflicts that arose from that throughout the series because they were an intended pair. If Arya/Gendry is not an intended pair it makes sense that his relevancy to her story would become less and less. Notice he changed the original outline but Jon still remains in her thoughts even to ADWD. I would say that she has thought of Gendry back in AFFC but one of those times is negative.

Now I do think she will kill Dunsen for taking Gendry's helm but I don't think that will have much to do with Gendry but more to do with her desire to kill. It wouldn't be to protect Gendry or because Gendry wants her to do it.

ETA:

It was the closest but it wasn't even romantic in a lover's sense. It was more about adventure. & the full quote wasn't even just about Gendry. She wanted to be with Anguy and Hot Pie too. Before that she says she could stay with Hot Pie or Lord Beric and Anguy would teach her the bow. Then she could ride with Gendry and be an outlaw. I don't see it as romantic really because it's not really just about him but about being with her friends. She ended it with that was stupid because Hot Pie and Gendry left her as soon as they could and that none of them really wanted her. 

It was the closest but it wasn't even romantic in a lover's sense. It was more about adventure. & the full quote wasn't even just about Gendry. She wanted to be with Anguy and Hot Pie too. Before that she says she could stay with Hot Pie or Lord Beric and Anguy would teach her the bow. Then she could ride with Gendry and be an outlaw. I don't see it as romantic really because it's not really just about him but about being with her friends. She ended it with that was stupid because Hot Pie and Gendry left her as soon as they could and that none of them really wanted her. 

The abandonment was definitely a big deal for her. I'm not sure how he could make up for that when they do meet again. Arya still wants a "pack", as she is still a she-wolf no matter what face she wears. Gendry doesn't understand this and I'm not sure how he would deal with her current self, especially the Mercy chapter.

She needs someone who understands her on a deeper level. Gendry is a bit dim.
She needs someone who will be her "pack" and never leave her. Gendry already left her.

The abandonment was definitely a big deal for her. I'm not sure how he could make up for that when they do meet again. Arya still wants a "pack", as she is still a she-wolf no matter what face she wears. Gendry doesn't understand this and I'm not sure how he would deal with her current self, especially the Mercy chapter.

She needs someone who understands her on a deeper level. Gendry is a bit dim.
She needs someone who will be her "pack" and never leave her. Gendry already left her.

Agree that their paths are diverging, but I think you're bring pretty harsh when it comes to a 15 year old bastard boy who has neither the highborn status nor the experiences or privileges afforded to a girl who grew up as the daughter of a Lord Paramount.

She may not be thinking of him as of AFFC/ADWD, but I guarantee you that he's thinking of her.

In the Blind Girl chapter she still thinks of Jon and Ned. But in the Ugly Little Girl, she doesn't think of any of them anymore. She only dreams of Ned's face as being one of the dead faces in the FM vault, along with those she killed and regrets, and the Tickler with hate. She only thinks of her friends and loved ones through psychological subterfuge - the list. Dunsen stands for Gendry, because Dunsen stole his helm. Ylin Payne stands for her father. Meryn Trant stands for Syrio Forel. Cersei also stands for her father, but I think she connects her with Sansa too, for keeping her sister captive.

Also, Needle is not just Jon and WF... Needle represents Arya herself foremostly. First lesson with Syrio Forel - "Boy, girl, you are a sword."

Archived