GRRM on Gendry and Arya (Allegedly)

Joan Jett

I think that's more in terms of Jon/Arya. Ramsay is somewhat a reminder of what Jon wanted; legitimization, Winterfell. Plus, the involvation of fArya/Ramsay in his ADwD arc directly. 

Hmm. So you think that (f)Arya's marriage to legitimized bastard Ramsay foreshadows Arya's endgame marriage to legitimized bastard Jon?

There's only one problem...

I don't think Jon Snow is really a bastard.  :cool4:

Hmm. So you think that (f)Arya's marriage to legitimized bastard Ramsay foreshadows Arya's endgame marriage to legitimized bastard Jon?

There's only one problem...

I don't think Jon Snow is really a bastard.  :cool4:

He is known/referred as one. :)

He is known/referred as one. :)

All the same, look at how brilliantly GRRM is playing with the "nature vs. nurture" trope, especially when it comes to the young men who are coming of age in one way, shape, or form...

There are "bastards" that are trueborn, like Jon.

There are "trueborns" that are bastards, like Joffrey.

And then...

There are bastards who are acknowledged and legitimized, like Ramsay.

And there are bastards who are neither acknowledged nor legitimized, like Gendry. 

I think that Jon is destined to become King, so that the trueborn heir takes the place of the counterfeit.

And I think that Gendry's destined to become... something other than a blacksmith. Who knows where his fate will lie?

It's all very interesting, that's for sure.

All the same, look at how brilliantly GRRM is playing with the "nature vs. nurture" trope, especially when it comes to the young men who are coming of age in one way, shape, or form...

And then...

And there are bastards who are neither acknowledged nor legitimized, like Gendry. 

I think that Jon is destined to become King, so that the trueborn heir takes the place of the counterfeit.

And I think that Gendry's destined to become... something other than a blacksmith. Who knows where his fate will lie?

It is indeed. I think he might forge a VS sword that may help in the coming War. 

And then...

Agree.

Also, I think it's significant that (f)Arya's marriage to Ramsay is actually... marriage to a bastard, which subconsciously would be incredibly rich for Gendry. Of course, Ramsay was acknowledged and legitimized by his father, and Gendry was not, but it still teases the possibility of "Arya" marrying a bastard. So I think it's an interesting point to consider.

Could be. Good point.

But do you all think that Brienne told them about fArya? You mean, after the hanging? Why should she? After what they did to her?

Gendry, as unlike Robert as he is in personality, may also suffer from the Curse of Loving a Stark Girl When You Have Baratheon Blood.
Poor guy! I feel badly for him... Well, at least Arya didn't break a betrothal to run off with Edric... :)

LOL, Stark girls are irresistible

Poor guy! I feel badly for him... Well, at least Arya didn't break a betrothal to run off with Edric... :)

YET!!

(maybe that's the sequel. Arya is on her way to marry Gendry Baratheon, the Bull, and he sees Edric playing the... erm.. trombone. Next day, Gendry appears in High Hermitage asking for Edric to come out and die!)

Archived