Fool's Quest

jurble

Still reading, but comment on a line midway through the book.

[spoiler]

They had not been men in the dream but pennants, hung in tattered shreds from a laundry line, dripping blood.

Daym, Chade. I'm assuming it's literal and there's a future where he just straight up skins them.[/spoiler]

eta: Book's done, I'm giving it a B. Too much down-time, even if the book acknowledges it and explains it. Also my title said Fools' Quest how silly of me.

I have been wondering why more people haven't been talking about the book on here. Maybe they are still reading.

It has only been out since Tuesday in the U.S and was only released today in the UK so it's not unusual there is little discussion yet.
Anyway, it's been great so far, I'm only 20% in but already interested in the Court intrigues and the Fool's story.
[spoiler] I'm also pleasantly surprised by Bee. I mean, she was alright in the last book, but I thought the one POV she has had in this book so far was very well written. And on that note, trust Hob to make a thoroughly unlikable character (Shun) and then make us feel dreadfully bad for her *sigh* Poor Shun, and it also seems she isn't out of that danger of Hogen raping her yet :( Also, is Ellik the same Ellik from the Rain Wild Chronicles? I had assumed he was, but then I couldn't recall if he had been killed in those books or not.
Another interesting tidbit I picked up - Lady Rosemary's room is stocked with a flash of dragon blood.
Favourite line so far - "You have a crow tangled in your wig?" :lol:
Fitz finally being acknowledged for what he has done for the Sox Duchies was a touching moment. It's been a long time coming, and damned if I didn't feel myself welling up with happiness [/spoiler]

Also was not aware this was out.

Man I don't know about this series. Read the first Fools Assassin and loved it until Molly was gone. Saw the twist with the prophet coming a mile away, and was frustrated with Fitz parenting. Still probably will read more but jeez Fitz is sooooo fitzy.

[spoiler]
Fitz finally being acknowledged for what he has done for the Sox Duchies was a touching moment. It's been a long time coming, and damned if I didn't feel myself welling up with happiness [/spoiler]

This was one of my favorite parts.  I don't recall if I've ever dropped a few tears of joy from reading something but that scene got me.  

Fitz is sooooo fitzy.

This is a big problem with the books, but one I've almost become used to.  So many issues would be solved in these books if Fitz would just ask for help or share basic information with his freaking family.  Although I guess having Chade and Burrich - two closed-mouthed keep-it-to-yourself types being his mentor and father figures don't help with that.  

This was one of my favorite parts.  I don't recall if I've ever dropped a few tears of joy from reading something but that scene got me.  

This is a big problem with the books, but one I've almost become used to.  So many issues would be solved in these books if Fitz would just ask for help or share basic information with his freaking family.  Although I guess having Chade and Burrich - two closed-mouthed keep-it-to-yourself types being his mentor and father figures don't help with that.

Prefacing this post to say I'm still not finished, but addi comments as I go.

Yeah Fitz is being overly Fitzy at the start of the novel, but the Fool is also being pretty dense [spoiler] I mean, he tells Fitz that he was holding his [The Fool's] son in Oaksbywater, and Fitz knows he was holding Bee, and yet 2+2 still seems to be too difficult a sum for them to calculate. But I don't mind, I can live with these things. Also, I'm finding the antagonists here (The Servants) among the most interesting of Hobb's villains. In previous novels the villain has always been OTT, aka Regal, Kyle and Hest (not necessarily a bad thing, but nice to see a change here). But here they are peculiar. Sure, they have Ellik and the Chalcedean mercaneries, but otherwise they are being, well, almost considerate about what they are doing. Vindeliar in particular seems remorseful over not helping Bee, and all the killing they had to do at Withywoods. I'm interested in the, at least.
I feel terrible for Shun (or Shine) too. Also, no surprises about her father. Small surprise in that FitzVigilant was also his.
And yep, I was grinning like a Cheshire Cat when he was finally acknowledged.
[/spoiler]

This is only for those who have read the book in its entirety.

[spoiler]For me, one of my favorite things was how she pulled in so many ideas from the past books. There was some nice little jabs at Regal. And I loved how she brought in the last series that seemed almost off to the side when I read it. And I liked the cliffhanger since it ties into the capricious aspect of the dragons and how bringing them back is right, but not necessarily good.[/spoiler]

I liked the inclusion of that too.  Though 

[spoiler]Was that one Elderling kid always such a dick?  I can't even remember his name right now - Rapsomething - but I swear he was like the joking around, everyone's friend type of kid in the books and suddenly he's just a no-nonsense, off with their heads type.  I wonder if I just read Blood of Dragons too fast to remember what happened to him or we'll get some backstory as to what happened to him.

Anyway, yes, I loved heading back to the Elderling city (geez, I can't remember names for the life of me today) and seeing some old characters.  It was a nice surprise after seeing all the other old characters back in Buck Keep[/spoiler]

I liked the inclusion of that too.  Though 

[spoiler]Was that one Elderling kid always such a dick?  I can't even remember his name right now - Rapsomething - but I swear he was like the joking around, everyone's friend type of kid in the books and suddenly he's just a no-nonsense, off with their heads type.  I wonder if I just read Blood of Dragons too fast to remember what happened to him or we'll get some backstory as to what happened to him.

Anyway, yes, I loved heading back to the Elderling city (geez, I can't remember names for the life of me today) and seeing some old characters.  It was a nice surprise after seeing all the other old characters back in Buck Keep[/spoiler]

[spoiler] The Elderling is Rapskal. Only, he's not really clumsy friendly little Rapskal anymore, he spent too much time with the memory stones of Kelsingra and assumed the identity of Tellator, which is why he was immediately the Elderling to lead the dragons against Chalced. And why he wanted Thymara so much. So yes, he was friendly and joking around at the start, then he got to the Elderling city (before everyone else too) and became Tellator (kind of).
Also want to add that I think deep down Fitz knew about Bee. He even says that he is the best at lying to himself. That would lead me to think he knew deep down, but couldn't admit it, even to himself.
[/spoiler]

Not really a spoiler since it carries from the last book but it really really bothered me NOBODY put anything together about Bee for so long. As soon as Molly was pregnant extra long I assumed the kid was going to be like the Fool, who said several times he took longer to grow throughout his life than other people. Maybe as an infant you wouldn't catch it but as she grew enough to look a lot like your tiny, colorless, slow growing friend, you would have to notice. That at no point anyone was like hey she looks a lot like the Fool or hey she looks a lot like the messenger he sent or a lot like the people who took her, maybe that's a clue was too much. I didn't enjoy the book at all until that was out of the way.

Eh, I agree partially with you. But, at the same time Fitz being a father wouldn't look at the child he made with molly and think oh this must be a white prophet. Why would he? she was unique but not to the point where he would automatically think oh that's the fool.

So many things that I loved about. I don't know how to do the spoiler tags so if someone can do it for me 

spoiler 1

LOVED the fitz reveal. Tears were coming out of my eyes as Starling was singing her song and then having Chade walk up to Fitz. Perfectly done. Something I think every fan of the series wanted to see. It was suprrising that they didn't just do the full reveal of him being Tom as well, but I have a feeling that will eventually happen in the 3rd book as it becomes more widespread with what happened at Withywoods.  I also loved the call backs to the duke of bearns and celeretiy.. and Blades grandson coming up to Fitz and saying how to the end of his days Blade hated what he did. 

Spoiler 2

The Family reunion. Fitz reporting to Dutiful and breaking down crying thinking he has failed everyone, but then having ellaria and the rest of them all making him realize that they are all hurting and that they will all deliver retribution. Amazing

Spoiler 3

This scene I didn't even know I wanted, until it happened. When Foxglove brings Fitz to the barracks and all the men stand up and salute.... and then she says "settle down boys, its just the Fitz". Such a small thing, but done perfectly. 

Spoiler 4

my god.. Fitz and the Skill. Unbelievable how powerful he has become. When he goes back to Withywoods and just snaps and his anger washes over everythign to the point that even Nettle can feel him all the way in Buck. Crazy.  And then the ending of him in Kelsingra. WOW.  

I honestly cannot wait for next year. I can't believe Robin Hobb was able to tie in literally every series back to Fitz. WOW

Eh, I agree partially with you. But, at the same time Fitz being a father wouldn't look at the child he made with molly and think oh this must be a white prophet. Why would he? she was unique but not to the point where he would automatically think oh that's the fool.

A pregnancy that lasts two years and and results in a colorless person who is an infant for years is pretty obvious. I can even buy him not getting it for awhile, but Kettricken saw her too and he saw her at the same time as the Fools messenger without being like oh, these things are strikingly similar. He's supposed to be trained to be observant and shit, I just don't buy it passing his notice FOR NINE YEARS

Archived