Fool's Quest

jurble

OK, I think I've finally worked out how to do a spolier tag.

[spoiler]I think the bear will get kill most of them.  I'm not sure that Verity will come alive, although it would be great if he did.  Maybe Verity-as-Dragon will find another way to help Bee.  If he does come alive though, it'll be interesting to see how the Kelisingra dragons will react to him.  I do hope that Bee and Fitz will meet soon and then go the journey together.  I think that Dwalia may end up going with Fitz's group.  As well as Vindeliar.  Now Fitz with his new found power and VIndeliar will be an interesting meeting. Dwalia and the Fool will be an interesting meeting too.

On another note, I am really enjoying the Spark/Ash and Per's relationship and how it echoes Fitz and Fool/Amber's relationship.  I loved that scene where Amber and Spark are telling the story of what happened in Kelsingra, with all 4 (and Lant) all interacting.together.  And how Fitz is accepting of Amber, whereas in the previous trilogy he was so upset by it[/spoiler]

[spoiler] I do think Verity-as-Dragon will come alive, why or how else would he tell Bee he can protect her.

Though, I suppose, those times Fitz has been lost int he Skill-Current, alongside the Intelligences he thinks are Elderlings, he always notices Verity, and when Bee was lost in the Skill-Current, it seems Verity saved her, so I get the impression that Verity has become a very powerful Skill ... thingamajig.  It's possible he could cloud the minds of her kidnappers or something along those lines, but if he's grown in power during his time in the Skill Current, I don't see why he can't just as easily turn himself to life and go for a flight.

Moreover, Verity-as-Dragon flying to Buckkeep and have a d'aww moment with Kettricken and Dutiful would be nice. [/spoiler]

Ya i took the dream bee had and the last chapter as verity was the one protecting her. But, also makes you think the other times wolf father has shown up. Is that Nighteyes? Or Verity? I always assumed it was nighteyes until the last chapter and it was almost certainly verity.

Wolf father and Verity-as-Dragon seem to be two completely separate um...voices? Beings? Whatever, different things.
[spoiler] Wolf father tells Bee that there is one close by who can help them, if they can wake him. Wolf father refers to this being as other than himself, so Wolf father quite clearly isn't Verity. He's almost certainly some remnant of Nighteyes. Yikes, Bee essentially has 3 father's at this point, lol. I suppose that is what the Fool's triptych is supposed to symbolise [/spoiler]

[spoiler] Fitz is referred to as a wolf by Verity-as-Dragon, who also calls Bee Fitz' "cub" and it can't really be argued that he isn't wolfish (hell he actually was a wolf after Royal Assassin). Also, Fitz does come from the Mountain Kingdom. His mother's family gave him over to Burrich on the border of the Mountain Kingdom where she presumably came from (certainly, Fitz believes his mother was a Mountain woman [/spoiler]

[Spoiler]Yes, good point.  I must admit I'd forgotten the origins of Fitz' Mum.  I'm a big softie - I just want Nighteyes back in whatever form :)[/Spoiler]

[spoiler] I do think Verity-as-Dragon will come alive, why or how else would he tell Bee he can protect her.

Though, I suppose, those times Fitz has been lost int he Skill-Current, alongside the Intelligences he thinks are Elderlings, he always notices Verity, and when Bee was lost in the Skill-Current, it seems Verity saved her, so I get the impression that Verity has become a very powerful Skill ... thingamajig.  It's possible he could cloud the minds of her kidnappers or something along those lines, but if he's grown in power during his time in the Skill Current, I don't see why he can't just as easily turn himself to life and go for a flight.

Moreover, Verity-as-Dragon flying to Buckkeep and have a d'aww moment with Kettricken and Dutiful would be nice. [/spoiler]

[spoiler] The being that pushes him out of the skill (I think on Other's Island) I took to be a dragon.  In the Heroes and Thieves chapter, when he is in the skill river, he talks about "larger and more intact" souls who "were more defined and older and wiser."  I think these are the dragons, whereas the "diluted and mingled" were perhaps the humans?  

In the past, Verity only helped Fitz in the skill river when he was a man and not a dragon.  Verity as a dragon was always powerful so I don't think he is anymore powerful than before, I just think Fitz is has grown in his skilling and was able to contact Verity in his dragon form and connect with him.  That's why Verity helped Bee, because Fitz was able to skill Verity how he had helped Verity's family[/spoiler]

[spoiler]  It's not just on Other's Island, after Fitz loses himself walking into a skill pillar coming back from the island with Icefyre, another Skill intellect puts him back together.   Later, he remarks to the Fool that he thinks they're Elderlings. [/spoiler]

Haven't gotten around to reading the book yet but I saw on Hobbs' twitter account today that there is a missing paragraph in the UK edition. Checked my copy and the paragraph is in there. The missing paragraph is on Hobbs' website: http://www.robinhobb.com/2015/08/twixt-the-cup-and-the-lip-the-missing-paragraph/

Hobbs also gave a tentative publication timeframe of spring 2017 for the third installment.

Haven't gotten around to reading the book yet but I saw on Hobbs' twitter account today that there is a missing paragraph in the UK edition. Checked my copy and the paragraph is in there. The missing paragraph is on Hobbs' website: http://www.robinhobb.com/2015/08/twixt-the-cup-and-the-lip-the-missing-paragraph/
Hobbs also gave a tentative publication timeframe of spring 2017 for the third installment.

Thanks for that. Wasn't anything major but appreciated all the same.
Also, Spring 2017? More than one year? Damn, riots! :p

:spank:  I accidentally made a thread because I thought there wasn't one yet but I see this is the thread to use.

Just finished reading it. Very nice, I liked it but as usual it's slow on plot. Most of the good things I read in this books were shout-outs to other books. The actual story this time has barely advanced. The last book should be good.

[spoiler]

Minor things:

Lant - still no payoff, but I think there should be a good one later so that's something to look forward to

Shun- sucks to be her. Chade sends her to Fitz so he can take care of her and she gets raped and kidnapped. I also see that many people are complaining about her but really I don't see what's so wrong about Shun. She barely does anything, and certainly nothing particularly bad. :box: Plus, Hobb is clearly setting her up for something

Perseverance - I liked the part where he was able to tell Fitz what happened in Withywoods. Thank goodness that didn't drag out too long.

Chade - dang it, I hate that his mind is finally gone though I suppose it has been a long time coming. He is very old now. Loved the part where he and Fitz killed all those men.[/spoiler]

An update

Apparently it was a paragraph RH requested to be cut. But somehow made it into the US version.
And here I was pondering the horrible implications.

[spoiler] Fitz loses a day traveling through that stone. That would have meant Bee lost about a season. But then it does fit with her recorded dreams. And it made sense to me. That a sequence of events meant Fitz steps through before her. Wakes Verity with wit and skill and tells him everything that has happened. Unintentionally setting Verity on the path with helping Bee.

The cut paragraph did mix up seasons. With the plant life and melting snow vs the dragging and running through snow. But the timeline of the cut paragraph works for me in a way. Also the scariness of how warped time can be using the stones.[/spoiler]

:spank:  I accidentally made a thread because I thought there wasn't one yet but I see this is the thread to use.

Just finished reading it. Very nice, I liked it but as usual it's slow on plot. Most of the good things I read in this books were shout-outs to other books. The actual story this time has barely advanced. The last book should be good.

[spoiler]
Minor things:

Lant - still no payoff, but I think there should be a good one later so that's something to look forward to

Shun- sucks to be her. Chade sends her to Fitz so he can take care of her and she gets raped and kidnapped. I also see that many people are complaining about her but really I don't see what's so wrong about Shun. She barely does anything, and certainly nothing particularly bad. :box: Plus, Hobb is clearly setting her up for something

Perseverance - I liked the part where he was able to tell Fitz what happened in Withywoods. Thank goodness that didn't drag out too long.

Chade - dang it, I hate that his mind is finally gone though I suppose it has been a long time coming. He is very old now. Loved the part where he and Fitz killed all those men.[/spoiler]

[spoiler] People had a problem with Shun in the first novel because she was so selfish and an all around awful person. She was more likeable this time around (without an abrupt shift in personality all at once. I liked seeing how she gradually shifted from helping Bee for her own sake to helping Bee because they'd been through all of this together and Shine now cared) and even before it was established that she was changing I felt terrible reading about her being raped. So I think it was only in the first book that Shine was a problem [/spoiler]

I actually hadn't read the Rain Wilds Chronicles (No Fool or Fitz?! No interest!).  Been reading them now.  Found something interesting.

If an Elderling still existed with such a great level of skill with the Silver, he might even be able to heal your child.

[spoiler]  Nice foreshadowerino there Ms. Hobb. [/spoiler]

[spoiler]
I'm not sure if Verity is going to help Bee very much. She dreamed ending up in Clerres, after all.
[/spoiler]

[spoiler] I think she will go of her own volition/with Fitz, not as a prisoner of Dwalia and Vindeliar, so Verity could still help her. Although I doubt Dwalia is dying that quickly, she'll probably stick around till the end. [/spoiler]

Edit: fixed spoiler tags

I actually hadn't read the Rain Wilds Chronicles (No Fool or Fitz?! No interest!).  Been reading them now.  Found something interesting.

[spoiler]  Nice foreshadowerino there Ms. Hobb. [/spoiler]

Nice find.  Who says that to whom?  Is it to Malta and Reyn?

[spoiler]

I'm not sure if Verity is going to help Bee very much. She dreamed ending up in Clerres, after all.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler] Well, she may very well end up going to Clerres with Fitz and the Fool.  The Fool said something like "if she's your child, she'll want to go there, if she's mine, she knows she'll have to go," or something along those lines.[/spoiler]

Archived