Exercise and Fitness - Because sitting on your ass all day long is boring ;)

baxus

I bought my wife a new Forerunner 230 as a birthday gift few weeks ago and she's mostly satisfied, though probably hasn't worked out many features of the gadget yet. One thing is certain - the GPS is much more accurate and reliable than in smartphone applications like endomondo.

Got to work out a bunch over the holidays and even got myself through a New Years day workout, which made for 6 days in a row.  Stayed right where I have been, around the 185 mark.  Today will be a much needed rest day, and tomorrow I have a small surgical procedure which may limit my ability to work out for a day or two, but hopefully not too long.

This morning was my first workout after vacation. I had felt sluggish and jet-lagged until now.

Shoulder press, wide lat pull down, lat raises and arms. It was harder work than prior to my vacation but very good to be back. I'll push myself to get back into a routine now.

I got the Garmin Forerunner 10. My boyfriend actually got me the Fitbit Surge for Christmas, which is an amazing tool but not what I needed, so I returned it and got the Forerunner. It is pretty much the most basic GPS watch you can get, and that's exactly what I wanted!

The GPS on the garmin is way better (based on my unscientific trials).  I've got the vivofit, and really dig it. 

Ugh!  I can't do any physical activity that will raise my heart rate for the rest of the week.  Not even supposed to have brisk walks.  I feel like I've been really grooving, so this is a huge bummer.  Well, at least I get to look forward to getting a new tattoo on Saturday and back to my weekly double yoga classes on Sunday.  7 days off w/out doing anything is going to be awful though.

This morning was legs and dead-lifts.  I had to rush to fit it all in but it went really well.  I'm shocked I didn't lose some ground on weight or number of reps.

Jet lag still has me feeling sluggish in the evenings but I managed two morning workouts this week.

El Niño is ravaging San Diego, but I still went for my run yesterday. Running through puddles higher than my ankles, hoping not to trip over flooded curbs, completely soaked from head to toe. It was fun and terrible at the same time! Luckily today I was able to get out and back before the rain started again. Although my shoes were still wet from yesterday so had that terrible wet socks feeling the whole time.

5k race is coming up soon! I'm excited and also sort of looking forward to being done (for a little while) with having such a regimented training plan. Working out 6 days a week is good for me but also exhausting and I am sort of on the verge of a mental breakdown with everything going on in my life. After this last race, I will probably cut back to a more casual 4-or-so days per week for at least a month or two.

4 workouts a week is still very demanding. I am usually content when I'm able to do 2-3 a week. And on Sunday my whole family except for younger daughter is going to run a 5K charity race. I wonder if my older, 10-years old daughter will make it.

I like doing 5-6 workouts a week, but I'm noticing that they are becoming sort of social events on top of the actual workout.  Doesn't feel very demanding on my schedule at all because of it.  I come in, say hi to all the teachers, talk w/ some of the people that I've met, take the class, talk & shower afterward; and most of this also includes my gf, so it's sort of 'dateish' too.  I can't wait to get back to it.  Only a few more days.....

I have an elliptical! It makes it way easier to exercise everyday, especially since my other gift was a Roku. My exercise frequency is way up these days - at least 4 times a week. 

Still trying Weight Watchers, but having my doubts. I'm starting to suspect that from a long-term dieting perspective, it's better to cut out some stuff entirely and hold out until your taste buds change. That worked with me on soda (I only like to drink diet soda now), but it's a somewhat more difficult matter when the stuff to cut it is cookies, or some other carbolicious food. 

Last worked out at my gym on Xmas eve. Had been working out 6 times a week in the 3 weeks leading up to it. there were a couple ocasions when I felt overloaded but otherwise it was great. And more importantly I celebrated the festive season without excess. I feel great, especially with all my joints. 

Been back a work for a week and now I'm at the airport waiting to fly out to Hong Kong for work for a week. Now I need to plan how I'm going to get some workouts done while I'm there. there's the hotel gym but there's hit & miss with their equipment. So bodyweight workouts it will be. I have 2 candidates; Carl Paoli's 10min burpee workout looks the easiest to follow. But I'm also eyeing up Jeff Cavaliere's workout for if I feel more foolish.

Today was bench press, narrow pull downs and arms. All went great. Traps still stiff from dead lifts.

Using Muscle Milk as a meal replacement is going really well. For the first few weeks I used it for breakfast but since my lunch options at work feel repetitive, I sometimes use it for that instead. But I only use it for one meal a day. My wife uses it too so we're buying the largest tub every two weeks.

Still out due to my head not being 100% healed yet.  Gonna give it a couple more days and try a class on Wednesday.  Worst case scenario is it starts hurting and I meditate in the hot room for an hour.  Think I may try doing some at home lifts tomorrow morning to get just to get something in.  Haven't seen any negative impact on my weight though, so that's a positive.

Still out due to my head not being 100% healed yet.  Gonna give it a couple more days and try a class on Wednesday.  Worst case scenario is it starts hurting and I meditate in the hot room for an hour.  Think I may try doing some at home lifts tomorrow morning to get just to get something in.  Haven't seen any negative impact on my weight though, so that's a positive.

Ace, I must have missed your post about your head injury. Hope it gets better soon. 

Did a 10 minute workout in my hotel room when I woke up yesterday morning. Burpees for 30sec then 30sec rest, each minute for 10 minutes. Managed 8 burpees per round for a total of 80 burpees in 9min 30sec (last 30sec of the 10min resting of course). Heart rate sure was up in those last few minutes. This morning I aimed to up the rate a little but only managed 83 burpees. Will push to get 90 by weeks end.

I got back to the gym last night after three rest days.  At first I was just really stiff on Sunday from my workouts last week and then Monday/Tuesday fell prey to long work hours and some winter hibernation mode as temperatures plummeted: I ate more, slept more and didn't feel like exercising.

So last night was shoulder press, wide lat pull down, lat raises and arms.  All very good.  Only downside was a late night workout left me with too little sleep.  For two months now I've dropped nearly all my cardio exercise.  I need to reintroduce some.

I'll see if I can get another workout tonight.

Hey guys!

It's nice to hear all the enthusiasm in this thread.

Ace, injuries are very annoying and I'm glad you're back in training. Still, 5 sessions in 3 days so soon after injury might be a bit much. Of course it depends on how you feel, but be careful not to overdo it and get injured again.

My vacation is still ongoing so my training is pretty much not happening. I've been in Thailand for 9 days, and there was a rowing machine in the hotel, as well as a treadmill and a beautiful beach to run on so I did some of that but it was very inconsistent since the whole point of the trip was to rest, not to work out. We took some snorkeling day trips too, which was great fun and I got to swim much more than I'm used to which were not really training sessions but still counts as physical activity. ;) Coming back to Belgrade tomorrow to a rather busy work schedule starting Monday so I'll have to wait and see about my training regimen then.

Archived