Exercise and Fitness - Because sitting on your ass all day long is boring ;)

baxus

1 minute ago, sperry said:

That would blow my knee out in about 30 seconds.

It's something that needs to be progressively built up to. Assuming no injuries or medical conditions they're something that most reasonably fit people should be able to accomplish given enough time.

I did leg press, dead lifts and squats today. The gym at this hotel/resort hosting the board meeting is pretty similar to the one in my home building.

Long flights for me on Friday back to Chicago and Saturday off on vacation to Playa Del Carmen. So hopefully next workout on Sunday.

On 8/20/2015 at 2:03 PM, aceluby said:

You just have to lift heavy, make sure you're getting the right balance of carbs (200-300g), and ensure you're getting 1g of protein per pound of lean body mass.  Definitely doable, but takes a lot more work than a simple cut/bulk cycle.

Dude. 300g of carbs a day will make you pre-diabetic. Isn't this about health? And that 1g protein/lb of body weight is 90's bro science. 

Please read some Gary Taubes. 

12 minutes ago, Stego said:

Dude. 300g of carbs a day will make you pre-diabetic. Isn't this about health? And that 1g protein/lb of body weight is 90's bro science. 

No it won't, I regularly eat 300g+ carbs a day. I'm not pre-diabetic, nor do I show any risk factors for becoming pre-diabetic or diabetic (I'm not overweight or inactive). A quick google search turns up multiple sources putting 300g within the recommended range, nearer to the low end if you're active.

6 hours ago, Stego said:

Sorry, but no, it's just basic math of the IIFYM diet.

150g of protein = 600kcals

250g of carbs = 1000kcals

2-600 kcals of everything else (fats/more protein/more carbs/micros).  You can dismiss it as 'bro science' all you want, but it's simple and effective.

Luke, I'm talking health. (I also thought Aceluby was a petite female.) Something you're going to have to worry about someday. I'm a big believer in spending a lot of time in ketosis for health and longevity.

Aceluby, I thought you were someone else. The idea of the calories in -- calories out has been disproven so many times that it borders on the absurd that you are still talking like it's the 90's. Go read some Taubes.Shit, you can read almost anything written since 2005. Are you getting your nutrition advice from T-Nation or bodybuilding.com?

6 hours ago, Stego said:

Luke, I'm talking health. (I also thought Aceluby was a petite female.) Something you're going to have to worry about someday. I'm a big believer in spending a lot of time in ketosis for health and longevity.

Aceluby, I thought you were someone else. The idea of the calories in -- calories out has been disproven so many times that it borders on the absurd that you are still talking like it's the 90's. Go read some Taubes.Shit, you can read almost anything written since 2005. Are you getting your nutrition advice from T-Nation or bodybuilding.com?

No, just no. I tried that shit once for some time, it was hell and I just couldn't get stronger.

My ab definition may take a step backward this week. We just arrived at our vacation resort and found that (1) our reservation is all-inclusive (now the price looks a lot more reasonable) and (2) the food at dinner was bloody delicious.

Even with swimming and using the gym here, there's no way I'll offset the extra calories ahead.

On 2/10/2016 at 11:50 AM, Iskaral Pust said:

What are pistols?

Like guns, but smaller.

Hello folks, long time no see!

Fitness has gone completely to shit whilst travelling - done nothing outside of a bit of hiking/mountain biking. Still, have managed to get a spot in a decent crew for this year's rowing season, which should be fun. It's the 50th anniversary of our big race so that should provide plenty of motivation!

Considering joining the local Crossfit place when I get back as well - know a few of the guys who run it and they're decent sorts and seem to know what they're talking about. They also have an introductory month offer so if it turns out classes/pre-planned workouts/Crossfit in general isn't for me then shouldn't cost me too much!

20 hours ago, lessthanluke said:

I've tried keto. I can't function on zero carbs. I'm aware I'll have to worry about my health one day. I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

It takes 20-30 days to become fat adapted. You will feel like shit until that happens. Please remember there are very few old strongmen, brother.

18 hours ago, Red Tiger said:

No, just no. I tried that shit once for some time, it was hell and I just couldn't get stronger.

It's not for getting stronger. It's for health and longevity. And I'm pretty fucking strong in ketosis. I'd be happy to compare with you.

3 hours ago, Stego said:

It's not for getting stronger. It's for health and longevity. And I'm pretty fucking strong in ketosis. I'd be happy to compare with you.

I was strong during ketosis too, but I wanted to get stronger then and I want to get stronger now. I dont give a shit about longevity.

I was strong during ketosis too, but I wanted to get stronger then and I want to get stronger now. I dont give a shit about longevity.

That statement is fucking stupid. You can do both you know. And anyone interested in /staying/ strong is concerned about longevity.

Also, if that's your concern, we're talking about the wrong things, we need to move this discussion into true t-nation territory and talk about some initial cycling and recovery.

Eta: I'm not saying ketosis is that route, but it's something you need to consider.

9 hours ago, peterbound said:

That statement is fucking stupid. You can do both you know. And anyone interested in /staying/ strong is concerned about longevity.

Also, if that's your concern, we're talking about the wrong things, we need to move this discussion into true t-nation territory and talk about some initial cycling and recovery.

Eta: I'm not saying ketosis is that route, but it's something you need to consider.

Couple of things

1. I know my body better than you do and what works for you might not work for me, that is fine and if this works for you, more power to you.

2. Apparently you and I have different ideas of what constitutes longevity. I for one dont hit the gym wiht the goal of living longer. I do other things for that (no alcohol, no drugs or smoking, severily limit refined sugars, no pork)

3. I tried cycling and recovery in the past, I dont like it at all and prefer consistency.

4. Again, I already tried ketosis in the past, the cons outweighed the pros for me

5. Welcome to my ignore list.

Archived