Exercise and Fitness - Because sitting on your ass all day long is boring ;)

baxus

1 hour ago, lessthanluke said:

I would just use the leg press if you have access to one to be honest.

Can you expand more on this LtL? Just curious about your thoughts here. Is this just for someone who is struggling with squats because of injury, or because of not having access to a proper squat rack (vs a smith machine), or do you see leg press as a good alternative to squats just generally? That kinda thing. 

1 hour ago, Rubies & Jade said:

Can you expand more on this LtL? Just curious about your thoughts here. Is this just for someone who is struggling with squats because of injury, or because of not having access to a proper squat rack (vs a smith machine), or do you see leg press as a good alternative to squats just generally? That kinda thing.

In the case of Isk a bit of both. Barbell squats are a far superior exercise to the leg press it goes without saying and if I was talking to an a  competitive athlete I would 100% recommend squats over it but when it comes to somehow who is just working out to stay in decent shape and is trying to just build a bit of leg strength then the leg press is a decent option. With Isk the risk/reward with his carpal tunnel would lead to me suggesting the leg press. Despite what some people will tell you machines have their place and you can get a decent leg workout with a leg press, couple with the fact he can't actually do proper squats (due to using the smith machine) I would definitely say in this case leg press > squats.

Sorry for long post.

42 minutes ago, lessthanluke said:

Sorry for long post.

Not long at all! I'd rather see people's thoughts and have information to mull over (as opposed to just a simple yes/no kinda opinion.)

Thanks for your expanding your thoughts, good to think about. I can't always get on our squat rack so on those leg days I am always trying to figure out alternatives. I have various things I do but had generally stayed away from machines. Maybe I'll include the leg press next time. I also get a lot of random women at the gym asking for advice about this sorta thing, so maybe I'll include that in things for them to think about as well.

On 2/6/2016 at 3:57 PM, Red Tiger said:

I apologize to you if I came across like a dick.

No sweat. I own a gym and I am used to just telling people what they are doing wrong and not having a discourse. I suppose I should have said 'please.'

But the advice still stands.

Since I'm not training for anything right now, I've cut back from my 6-day-a-week routine with lots of running to a more balanced 4-day-a-week plan. Basically during the week I am doing yoga, weights, and an interval run, and then on weekends doing a long run. I thought this would help keep me at least a little in shape, but even after only 3 weeks, I am already struggling to get through the long runs. This past weekend I could barely do a very slow 7 miles. So that's kinda sucky, as I like long runs and don't want to lose all my capacity. Not sure when I'll run my next race, but I think I want to do another half marathon. Anyway. At least I am staying somewhat active! Plus biking to work at least 4 days every week, which isn't terrible but does get my heart rate up a bit.

8 hours ago, Stego said:

No sweat. I own a gym and I am used to just telling people what they are doing wrong and not having a discourse. I suppose I should have said 'please.'

But the advice still stands.

Other than stuff like Squats, bench press and deadlifts what else do you reccommend.

12 hours ago, Red Tiger said:

Other than stuff like Squats, bench press and deadlifts what else do you reccommend.

Running, rowing, jump rope work, and prowler pushes. Push-ups, pull-ups, handstands, dips, and presses. Russian kettlebell swings.Yoke walks and farmers carries. 

In all honestly Isk I would recommend single leg movements like lunges and split squats over Smith machine squats.

I do an exercise where I hold 2x50lbs Dumbbells as I step up onto a platform higher than my knee. So it's like a lunge with added weight, but a bit more challenging because the leg starts from the bent position and has to lift up my entire body weight plus the added weight (I have to resist pushing off with my standing foot).

It's a good exercise but not as challenging as heavy squats because the lower stability (balancing on one leg) adds something to the challenge but reduces the total weight to lift.

I honestly wouldn't worry about the weights you are using. Walking lunges and split squats 

Will give you a far better overall leg workout than smith squats. Just my advice though :)

Last week I did nothing but lunges as my assistance work after deadlifts and I hit my legs harder than I have in months.

7 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

I'll try it.

I'm traveling a lot over the next six weeks, including a sun vacation next week, so I'll be relying on poorly-equipped hotel gyms a lot.

Another big reason I prefer single leg/bodyweight stuff. You can do it anywhere!

is it acceptable to not cycle to work when the temperature is 2 degrees?  i'm fine with down to 4, but the difference between 2 and 4 feels massive (i have terrible circulation so my hands and feet really feel it, no matter how much i wrap them up).

or do i just need to man the f up?

2 hours ago, lessthanluke said:

Another big reason I prefer single leg/bodyweight stuff. You can do it anywhere!

True that. I've been smashing pistols a lot recently, mainly just because of needing no kit, no set-up, no needing to wait for a free station. Just do them wherever.

Archived