Exercise and Fitness - Because sitting on your ass all day long is boring ;)

baxus

I've never played beach rugby, it looks like fun. I like (10th?) picture of the guy going for an extremely ambitious looking offload out of a two man tackle. Good confidence. :lol:

You'll note that the 11th picture is him on his knees in despair...

Beach rugby is awesome. Exhausting but brilliant fun.

Went out on Saturday and feel like I totally ruined the work I did the week previously.  Yeah, it was my 'cheat' day, but I think I cheated a little too much.  Lifted really heavy on Saturday, took a rest day yesterday, and did some cardio this morning for an active rest day since I'm still pretty sore from Saturday.  Should get a good week in though since I took the whole week off :)

Trying to re-establish my workout routine with the new job, so I am getting up a 5am everyday.  Day 2 and so far so good (except I was wiped out by time I got home from work last night)

right now I am working from my dvds, but hope to get up 15 minutes earlier in a couple of weeks and hit the gym.

kettlebells yesterday and beginner yoga today

Still not fit enough to resume training.

I don't feel pain while walking or anything, but ankle is still a bit stiff and it hurts a bit when I move my foot in a certain way.

At least a week or two before I get back to running, rowing and lifting.

I might go swimming before that, though.

Sorry Baxus. Swimming is a good idea though: you get elevation, quasi-icing and no impact.

This stupid ear infection (ironically from swimming) just lasts and lasts. My body is obviously hungry and tired as it battles the infection. My revised hope is to return to the gym by Friday.

I'd go with B just based on what you said here because it seems like that person would more likely adapt to what you need and be able to mesh.  I've never enjoyed the drill instructor type coach in anything I've done.

Did Crossfit Total last Friday and hit PRs for all three:

strict press: 190lbs (15lb increase)

back squat: 345lbs (20lbs - could have done more but my left knee didn't feel right)

Deadlift: 455 (80lb increase)

Pretty happy with all those, but was disappointed I missed my total goal by 10lbs.  Year end goal is now 210 for press, 375 for squat and 500+ for DL.

Took up climbing a few weeks ago with a bunch of mates who've recently discovered that we have a local climbing wall in my town. Freakin' love it! And it's been very gratifying to see a quick learning curve with it, too.

Also just dusted my old bike off, which has been languishing for about 8 years in the garage - I'm going on a holiday in Oct which will require some cycling, so need to not be completely crap at it before I go. Should really have thought of that before the evenings started to get dark again, but we work with what we have...

For me exercise/sports is about having fun and enjoying myself. A coach who demands that much authority doesn't sound fun to me personally but I guess you need to weigh up the pros and cons of results/enjoyment.

He's right.

I'd go with B just based on what you said here because it seems like that person would more likely adapt to what you need and be able to mesh.  I've never enjoyed the drill instructor type coach in anything I've done.

Did Crossfit Total last Friday and hit PRs for all three:

strict press: 190lbs (15lb increase)

back squat: 345lbs (20lbs - could have done more but my left knee didn't feel right)

Deadlift: 455 (80lb increase)

Pretty happy with all those, but was disappointed I missed my total goal by 10lbs.  Year end goal is now 210 for press, 375 for squat and 500+ for DL.

You are a badass, my friend!

Took up climbing a few weeks ago with a bunch of mates who've recently discovered that we have a local climbing wall in my town. Freakin' love it! And it's been very gratifying to see a quick learning curve with it, too.

ONE OF US! ONE OF US! ONE OF US!

Glad you're having fun! Climbing is the best. If you're ever in town definitely come out to the climbing gym with us.

Honestly I assumed the good people on this thread would have recommended optionA, just to push myself.
Anyway, I chose B, and already had the time of my life, and from what it seems like I will learn a lot too! : )
Thanks all!

From what I gather, none of us here are pro athletes*.

The rest of us are either in it in order to be able to do our jobs right (we have some firefighters in our midst, among others) or simply for fun (I honestly believe that these threads should be in Entertainment subforum).

While the "push yourself to the max at all cost" approach may work for people whose life is all about sport, with us recreational athletes it's rarely the case.

*Luke comes closest, competing at national level and all that but, unless I'm mistaken, he's still not doing it for a living.

From what I gather, none of us here are pro athletes*.

The rest of us are either in it in order to be able to do our jobs right (we have some firefighters in our midst, among others) or simply for fun (I honestly believe that these threads should be in Entertainment subforum).

While the "push yourself to the max at all cost" approach may work for people whose life is all about sport, with us recreational athletes it's rarely the case.

*Luke comes closest, competing at national level and all that but, unless I'm mistaken, he's still not doing it for a living.

This is making me regret my choice. Its not the first fall everything is a challenge at first but then turns frustrating.
Of course I'm not a professional, but its still very very important to me.

Well, my coaches are pushing us to our limits while we're having fun.  Just because Option B isn't Drill Sergeant material doesn't mean s/he isn't a successful coach and that you won't see material gains and changes.

Archived