Exercise and Fitness - Because sitting on your ass all day long is boring ;)

baxus

Hit that milestone, stomach crunches- I can do a thousand now.

I make it my goal not to rain on anyone's parade, especially in this thread, but I must ask what exactly is the point of 1,000 crunches?

There are various other, less tedious ways of improving your core strength.

I make it my goal not to rain on anyone's parade, especially in this thread, but I must ask what exactly is the point of 1,000 crunches?

There are various other, less tedious ways of improving your core strength.

Its always been part of my morning routine. I don't find them tedious in the morning, it gives me time to think when starting the day, plus it's the best time as I shower afterwards using a water activated gel cleanser.

Per this, I'm aiming for 30 minutes a day moderate intensity exercise. It says you can get it by walking between 3-4 MPH, which I've been aiming for - although I'm fat enough that just walking at close to 3 MPH seems to be enough to get me to sweat. 

Its always been part of my morning routine. I don't find them tedious in the morning, it gives me time to think when starting the day, plus it's the best time as I shower afterwards using a water activated gel cleanser.

To each their own, but doing a 1,000 ab crunches is inefficient.

Doing only one ab exercise is not the way I'd recommend and, as I see it, doing a 1,000 reps of it is more a waste of time than the way to strengthen your core.

I could be wrong, of course.

Per this, I'm aiming for 30 minutes a day moderate intensity exercise. It says you can get it by walking between 3-4 MPH, which I've been aiming for - although I'm fat enough that just walking at close to 3 MPH seems to be enough to get me to sweat. 

Don't worry, you'll get faster as time goes on.

Just keep at it.

Another workout last night. A fast 2 mile run and then shoulder press, wide lat pull down and upright rows. My max set on shoulder press was 140lbs rather than 160lbs, but otherwise I was at prior levels.

Unfortunately squats on Monday night triggered carpal tunnel again, which is really messing with my sleep. I'd prefer not to take more ibuprofen now after taking 3-4 a day during the ear infection but I need one at night just to get 5-6 hours of sleep until the carpal tunnel eases.

Took the bike out again last night (after the rain had stopped), only a 12-mile roundtrip to a nice pub and back but I'm still a relative n00b at this and dear lord I am broken today. Funnily enough I ended up getting the "#4 this year!" award from Strava for this gnarly little hill on the way, even though I only made it about 3/4 of the way up and had to walk the rest :lol:

I've managed to make 415 km cycling, 70,5 km running and 16,5 km swimming so far this month, not including tennis, rowing and some other minor stuff I sometimes do. Going to work by bike certainly helps to improve my cycling stats. But I'm still far from the goal of at least 30 km running per week. Tonight I plan to run 8-10 km, depending on how I feel, but even if I manage to score another run or two before the end of this month, it would be only marginally more than 20 km per week. But my wife keeps motivate me to run more, as she usually runs 45-50 km per week.

I got a grim reminder why I gave up rugby after high school (mostly laziness) this weekend. Played a little game of sevens with some friends, a couple of whom play for the local clubs and came away with a bruise on my ribs, a knee that hurts like a bastard after a bad landing and a buggered back.

But christ was it fun, might get back into it.

But christ was it fun, might get back into it.

That's the spirit!

Our season's just starting up. Trying to step back from running the club as I'm leaving at the end of Sept, but people are yet to step up so there's going to be a serious sink/swim moment...

Been in the gym a bit lately. Deadlifted 150kgx5x3 yesterday and felt very comfortable - although grip was starting to give out towards the end. Will have to either hunt out my straps or get comfortable with mixed grip.

That's an impressive amount of exercise.

Thanks, but vast majority of cycling is just going to work by bike (15 km one way) at a rather moderate pace. And some running was interval training (up to 5 km at a time), with 30 seconds high intensity run and 60 seconds low intensity run, but most of it was made at a pace close to 6 minutes per km, which is not very impressive.

That is a quite a run, congratulations! So you're close to make a half marathon now. :)

I've never managed to run as much in one go, but given I run regularly since April, after more than three years without any kind of physical activities due to a knee surgery and its complications, I give myself some more time for such achievements. As a matter of fact, my tonight's run of 10,5 km is probably the longest distance I ever made as well. At a pace of 5,43 minutes per km, which is better than average. So I'm quite satisfied as well.

I am proud to say I ran 11 miles today! My time sucked. But, I broke through double digit distance for the first time EVER.

3CA- that is great progress! Have some cheer. *pat on the back!*

Damn!  Nice work!

Archived