Exercise and Fitness - Because sitting on your ass all day long is boring ;)

baxus

5km run last night. 1st 1.5km were laborious but once my legs had warmed up I felt good and picked up pace.

Decided to measure my protein intake to maintain about 1g protein per kg bodyweight per day - which for me is 100g protein per day. I eat plenty of vegetables and cook with fat so I'm not concerned about counting calories, just monitoring the protein so I can maintain my activity levels. BUT After a couple days I've come to appreciate how much 100g of protein is - it's a lot!, and am struggling to source enough from my pantry and fridge. I not too keen on protein suppliments and would prefer to source all my protein from whole foods - but as I don't stock a lot of meat, very little now that I look at it, I may have to reconsider sources.

5km run last night. 1st 1.5km were laborious but once my legs had warmed up I felt good and picked up pace.

Decided to measure my protein intake to maintain about 1g protein per kg bodyweight per day - which for me is 100g protein per day. I eat plenty of vegetables and cook with fat so I'm not concerned about counting calories, just monitoring the protein so I can maintain my activity levels. BUT After a couple days I've come to appreciate how much 100g of protein is - it's a lot!, and am struggling to source enough from my pantry and fridge. I not too keen on protein suppliments and would prefer to source all my protein from whole foods - but as I don't stock a lot of meat, very little now that I look at it, I may have to reconsider sources.

Eating a small can of tuna on a sandwich for lunch and a half can of beans in a side salad at dinner and a couple of eggs a breakfast is a low cost, low effort (if repetitive) way to add a lot of protein.

I don't count protein anymore but when I did I aimed for 30g at each meal, which is pretty attainable so long as you remember to do something at breakfast.  Drinking milk provides quite a lot of protein.  Good pasta has more protein than rice or most breads.  Egg whites are a good source although I prefer whole eggs.  I try to eat red meat on average no more than once per day.

Just back from the gym: fast run and very good upper body weights - shoulder press, wide lat pull down, upright row and arms.

I don't know how I managed that after sleeping only ~3 hours last night. This carpal tunnel is killing me. I've made a doctor appointment for Friday - I can't go on like this. I'm taking a break from guitar playing for a few weeks and possibly long term. Learning guitar coincided with the onset of this.

Thanks Isk, did just that, found a large can of tuna at the back of my pantry and used it to make my meals for today, which should give me around 20g/meal. Breakfast though was a full bowl of oatmeal which was only 15g, so I still need to enrich my meals with several protein sources to hit that 30g/meal target. Will drop by the store today and buy some dried bean curd skin, which are typically 40-45% protein by weight.

Went to my oly class last night. Warmed up with a 2km jog around the block then got into our program. It was a good session, snatch complex sets @50% 1rm and then clean & jerk complex sets @50% 1rm. Finished with full snatch and c&j sets at 70-90% 1rm. 

I've got a 5 mile trail run this Saturday.  I'm not really ready for it. Been running a couple times a week, usually 3 miles a pop, but I haven't been feeling it. I need to try and stretch my runs out longer, but haven't managed to. 3 races over the next 4 Saturdays.

Ugh. Work is absolute nuts right now.  (I was in the office 9a -3p then back for an event 6p -10p)  Plus everyone keeps scheduling lunch meetings. Getting to the gym is impossible, and I can barely fit my arse into my fall wardrobe.  Just about the only thing I can do right now is walk to work. It's not far, but straight up a wicked hill.  There ya go. My glutes will thank me one of these days, maybe.

Work sure can scuttle any progression in regular exercise. I'm absolutely dreading a week long work trip I have scheduled month. It will be a 2 weeks before my half marathon and I'm worried I'll lose at least a couple weeks conditioning unless I plan it wisely.    

Left knee is feeling quite tender this morning, really went hard with the lifts last the other day. Hope its ok for tomorrow as I'm keen to go for a run. 

I'm getting back to the workout routine after injury, and wedding preparations are making it a bit more difficult to be regular at practice.

All in all, this month will likely be filed under "Chaotic, but I'll take what I can get" category workout-wise.

Did some light weightlifting after work yesterday and my lower back muscles are a bit sore now from deadlifts but it's that kind of pleasant pain. :D

Been far too lax with my diet lately. Taking lots of excuses to indulge, which is great, but now those excuses are over and I need to tighten back up! Also my bike got stolen this week, so missing my daily commute (7.5 miles round trip, including Bigass Hill). At least I have still been working out, so it could be a lot worse. Thinking I need to find a race to do soon to give me some direction, as right now I am just cycling through a weights/yoga/run routine about 5 days a week.

Nora - that sounds like a pretty good exercise routine, but yeah it can be nice to have a specific near-term focus.

I rested last night and went to the gym late morning today. Very good 2 mile run and then bench press, cable row, narrow pull downs (in place of pull-ups) and arms. Feeling in very good shape, especially after three consecutive nights of good sleep.

Strangely enough, I did improve my personal best during today's race. It turned out that hills on the route make you do both ascents and descents. And there was quite a long descent on the last kilometer, which I did in less than 5 minutes (the best of ten). All in all I've made it in 54:09, more than a minute quicker than my PB so far.

I enjoyed the run, the weather was perfect, almost one thousand participants, and we run together with my wife, who was a pacemaker for 55 minutes, but eventually finished in 53:56, my brother-in-law and his fiancee. And my knee didn't hurt particularly strong.

Taking a rest week to recover from the beating I gave it at a music festival over the weekend.  Didn't eat enough, drank too much, slept on the ground, and danced for 3 days straight.  May do some light yoga around mid-week, but definitely waiting before doing any heavy lifting, HIIT, or hot yoga.

On a side note, I put on some pants that I haven't worn in about 6 months and they are about 8 inches too big.  My buddy even asked how I ever fit into them.

Gah! I had pizza for dinner last night and then had indigestion and felt bloated (sodium overdose) all evening and did not go to the gym.  Pizza is the worst food.

Hopefully I'll get to the gym tonight instead.  I have some travel today, though not too late, and then travel again Wednesday and Thursday this week.  So I need to fit in some exercise when I can.

I did get to the gym late last night for rowing and legs weights.

For rowing, I started at a really high-speed just to see what it's like: 1:45 for the first 500m and under 2:00 for the second 500m.  But that left me gasping and gulping for breath as I entered my second km.  But I managed to finish all 5km without any breaks or interruptions.  I finished in 21:39, which is ~20 secs off my PB.  But I don't plan to start with a sprint again like that.

Leg weights were fine.  With no squats it's just not that challenging.

I'll try to get back to the gym again tonight before I travel on Wed-Thurs.

• 1 month later...

Guess I'll bump this one to the front page.....

Did barre last night and it was the best class yet.  Felt fantastic afterward.  Tonight I've got yoga flow with a rest day tomorrow.  Trying to up my protein intake and switched out my after workout shake to EAS to get 15 more grams of protein for the same amount of kcals.  Gonna switch out my breakfast too and have one w/ about 20 more grams of protein.  Hopefully it'll help me get the results I want.  Will give it to Thanksgiving before re-evaluating. 

Out of the blue I decided to participate in the 10K Independence Race yesterday, just after a training 10k run the day before and it turns out it wasn't such a good idea. The weather was awful which didn't help (rain and wind), but I can't recall any other run I struggled so much to even make it to the finish line. The fact that the race was three loops at the local forest, for about 3.4 km each didn't help either, as I usually find it more boring to repeat the same route over and over. My pace on the last loop dropped by more than a minute and on the last few hundred meters I was mostly outrun by others.

Archived