Proof that the Lemon Tree is Significant

Well its good news to see what George wrote.  I always have this perception of Dany's bittersweet death:  Her lying by the iron throne having a vision of a red door and a lemon tree and believing she is finally going home.  I don't know why that picture comes to my head, there is nothing in the text to support it.  Its only that its so very important to Dany and repeated so often, how could it not be significant?

When I was just a lad of ten, GRRM said to me "Come here and take a lesson from the lovely Lemon tree."

"Don't put your faith in love my boy" GRRM said to me.  "I fear you'll find that love is like the lovely Lemon tree"

Lemon tree, very pretty and the lemon flower is sweet, but the fruit of the poor lemon, is impossible to eat.

When I was just a lad of ten, GRRM said to me "Come here and take a lesson from the lovely Lemon tree."

"Don't put your faith in love my boy" GRRM said to me.  "I fear you'll find that love is like the lovely Lemon tree"

Lemon tree, very pretty and the lemon flower is sweet, but the fruit of the poor lemon, is impossible to eat.

Yeah, ok.  Bad song.

Does the Lord of Blackhaven imagine he's being poetic? Or is this meant to confound us?                                    ( Just joking.)

Even if thats a real statement from GRRM, it doesn't mean its significant.  Dany and Viserys travelled from city to city in Essos, and at some point Dany was old enough to remember that and would not be wrong about that.  She could easily have mixed up a house in Lys or anywhere else for her home in Bravos.  Since Bravos was the first city they went to, it makes sense that she wouldn't actually remember Bravos because she would have only been a few years old.

Its the same as the debate about whether or not Rhaegar and Lyanna were at the TOJ, it really doesn't matter.  Maybe they were somewhere else and Arthur was taking Lyanna to Starfall to keep her safe and they couldn't make it before she went into labor, it doesn't change the story.

Viserys was old enough to remember the entire ordeal, and obviously believed Danaerys was his sister.

R+L = Daenerys and Jon Confirmed.

Nope. Dany has Ashara Dayne's eyes, according to Barristan, and whenever we hear about lemons in these books we hear about Dorne. If Dany is not remembering Dorne rather than Braavos, then at the very least the lemon tree signifies a connection between Braavos and Dorne.

Viserys was too young to know the difference between a newborn baby and one a year or so old. He is our only "witness" for Dany's birth and he wasn't there. I say there was a baby swap. Ashara's daughter by Aerys was subbed in for Rhaella's stillborn child. Viserys was told she was his sister and he was too small to consider it might be otherwise.

Or..Arthur Dayne and Rhaella had a thing going on. Either way, we might find out Dany is only half Targ, and the other half a Dayne. And, a bastard.

Viserys was old enough to remember the entire ordeal, and obviously believed Danaerys was his sister.

All Viserys probably knows is that his mother died in childbirth and he was told he had a sister.

Given the times they lived he would have little if any contact with the child until it was at least walking and even then likely very little.

For many people a baby looks much like every other baby if it isn't your own.

Presented with a 5 year old girl with silver hair, if V were told it was his sister then he would likely just accept it was his sister.

It wouldn't be hard to fool Viserys....There is about a 5 year time frame where Dany would just be trotted out by a nurse every now and then.

But my point is that its not impossible that in their early years, Viserys and Dany were not actually in the same place. He could be in Braavos and she by the lemon tree

Does the Lord of Blackhaven imagine he's being poetic? Or is this meant to confound us?                                    ( Just joking.)

:lol: Lemon Tree was the name of a song that was popular back when Martin would have been in his late teens

All Viserys probably knows is that his mother died in childbirth and he was told he had a sister.

Given the times they lived he would have little if any contact with the child until it was at least walking and even then likely very little.

For many people a baby looks much like every other baby if it isn't your own.

Presented with a 5 year old girl with silver hair, if V were told it was his sister then he would likely just accept it was his sister.

It wouldn't be hard to fool Viserys....There is about a 5 year time frame where Dany would just be trotted out by a nurse every now and then.

But my point is that its not impossible that in their early years, Viserys and Dany were not actually in the same place. He could be in Braavos and she by the lemon tree

But they weren't living in a regular noble house where that would be the case. They were in exile. In all likelihood, Viserys, Willem Darry, the nurse(/servants), and Daenerys would be with each other in a medium size house, right? I think it's more jumps to assume that Viserys wouldn't know her before she was five than otherwise.

ETA: Daenerys was five when Ser Willem got sick, and she has memories of him from before that. You can only say that Viserys and Dany wouldn't have known each other before that if Viserys was not with Ser Willem either.

But they weren't living in a regular noble house where that would be the case. They were in exile. In all likelihood, Viserys, Willem Darry, the nurse(/servants), and Daenerys would be with each other in a medium size house, right? I think it's more jumps to assume that Viserys wouldn't know her before she was five than otherwise.

even if that were the case, the child presented doesn't have to be Dany. What I was trying to say is that until the girl was walking and talking Viserys could be presented with any child and told its his sister. Or there may have been no child at all and Dany just showed up later. Dany could have been at another location until she were maybe 5 or 6.

I'm just saying its possible Viserys was in Braavos but that doesn't mean Dany always was.

even if that were the case, the child presented doesn't have to be Dany. What I was trying to say is that until the girl was walking and talking Viserys could be presented with any child and told its his sister. Or there may have been no child at all and Dany just showed up later. Dany could have been at another location until she were maybe 5 or 6.

I'm just saying its possible Viserys was in Braavos but that doesn't mean Dany always was.

Sure it's possible.
But Dany was always with Ser Willem Darry. And it'd be hella weird if Dany talked about memories of this guy that Viserys didn't know and just went along with it.

I suppose it doesn't have to be Daenerys, but the girl that remembers Willem Darry and the girl Viserys knows have always been the same girl.

Archived