U.S. Politics - the pre-pre-pre-pre Primary season edition

TerraPrime

The one redeeming thing about Trump is that he realizes that every great nation was made great through its manufacturing industry. 

This country needs to get its manufacturing industry back. When Trump says that Ford should be building its $2.3 Billion plant here in the US, he is right. Hell, its worth giving tax incentives to Ford to keep its manufacturing facilities here in the states. 

IT'S ON! http://www.politico.com/blogs/media/2015/08/roger-ailes-donald-trump-should-apologize-to-megyn-212934.html

Late Monday night Trump tweeted several times about Kelly, who had just returned to hosting after a vacation, writing that he "liked The Kelly File much better without @megynkelly. Perhaps she could take another eleven day unscheduled vacation!” 

Trump also tweeted that Kelly was "really off her game" and retweeted a tweet that called Kelly a "bimbo."

Fox News Kingmaker Roger Ailes has responded:

"Donald Trump's surprise and unprovoked attack on Megyn Kelly during her show last night is as unacceptable as it is disturbing. Megyn Kelly represents the very best of American journalism and all of us at Fox News Channel reject the crude and irresponsible attempts to suggest otherwise," Ailes statement reads. "I could not be more proud of Megyn for her professionalism and class in the face of all of Mr. Trump’s verbal assaults. Her questioning of Mr. Trump at the debate was tough but fair, and I fully support her as she continues to ask the probing and challenging questions that all presidential candidates may find difficult to answer," Ailes said. "Donald Trump rarely apologizes, although in this case, he should. We have never been deterred by politicians or anyone else attacking us for doing our job, much less allowed ourselves to be bullied by anyone and we’re certainly not going to start now. All of our journalists will continue to report in the fair and balanced way that has made FOX News Channel the number one news network in the industry.”

Roger Ailes has the power to stop the Trump train. All he has to do is order that his network wont be showing any more Trump coverage. Period. Give all that air time to the other Republican candidates, let America see what a tool Jeb is, remind them why Santorum has won an election in 20 years, intruduce them to Kasich, etc. 

No more 23 hours of Trump coverage, and the air will go out of his balloon. 

Hayyoth: just gonna take a moment to address the welfare claim you made. Onion has been hinting at the issue, but it's this: If at one time, welfare is at 4 -- don't worry about units -- and Republicans want to make it 0, and the Democrats say no, maybe they bargain it down to 2 as a compromise they can live with. If they are then at 2, and 20 years later the Republicans want to move it to 0 again and the Democrats say they won't go lower than 2, that's not a leftward shift or a change in attitude or anything like it. That's consistent with the original position -- they'll live with 2 but no lower, and would really prefer a stronger safety net than that. You can paint it as intransigence, but really you're lambasting them for not agreeing to a worse deal than the one they already made with you. It's dishonest.

Roger Ailes has the power to stop the Trump train. All he has to do is order that his network wont be showing any more Trump coverage. Period. Give all that air time to the other Republican candidates, let America see what a tool Jeb is, remind them why Santorum has won an election in 20 years, intruduce them to Kasich, etc. 

You misunderstand the power balance here. When Trump boycotted Fox the Sunday after the debate (he appeared on every other network's morning show instead), they folded immediately. Trump brings in enormous ratings for these channels, and Fox doesn't want to lose its market share.

The question isn't whether Fox blocks Trump, its whether Trump boycotts Fox again.

Trump supporters are not going to stop watching Fox. Its their only source for news. I know Fox folded last time, but they need to stop the Trump show. 

Fox is hardly the only network covering trump.  It's pretty simple really, all fox boycotting Trump does is bolster the ratings for other networks, and give Trump more publicity.

Trump supporters are not going to stop watching Fox. Its their only source for news. I know Fox folded last time, but they need to stop the Trump show. 

Hard to say what current viewers will do if they feel Fox is slighting their guy. But the issue isn't even about them, its about all the Trump supporters who don't otherwise watch Fox. For instance,

Donald Trump remains ratings gold for Fox News Channel, as Sean Hannity’s interview with the Republican presidential hopeful produced the top demo score for any cable news program on Tuesday night.

Less than a week after FNC set cable news ratings records for the first primetime GOP debate of the 2016 election cycle, “Hannity” averaged 628,000 adults 25-54 on Tuesday for its exclusive interview with Trump. With its top delivery since April, “Hannity” beat the combined 10 p.m. demo totals of CNN (170,000 for “CNN Tonight”) and MSNBC (101,000 for “Last Word With Lawrence O’Donnell”).

Compared to the same night a year ago in the hour, “Hannity” spiked by 138% while CNN was down about 5% and MSNBC lost more than a third of its audience.

But for all the Foxites who've spent all these years drinking the Kool-aid and falling for Fox' bullshit, are they really going to defect from Fox long-term to watch the "lame stream media" which isn't going to give them all those totally true stories about muslims about to rise up and kill them in their sleep, how the moocher class is destroying America, about the war on Christmas, etc.? Are the people who have thrown themselves into the right wing bubble by watching Fox, listening to conservative AM radio, reading whacked out sites and conspiracy theories on the internet going to put all of that aside to watch Trump on the dastardly liberal media that is to blame for all their woes?

Well, I guess if Fox were theoretically to decide to do a hardcore ban on Trump, those people could stop watching Fox and come back into the real world just a bit, jump to a different part of the right wing bubble, (i.e. get all their news via the whacked out conspiracy sites instead of Faux News) or stick with Fox and deflate the Trump balloon a bit.

Nah. The people who are watching Trump are the ones that are not watching Fox News typically. They're people who are tuning in to see the train wreck. They're the ones that are making fun of him - or perhaps the ones that don't bother with Fox News.

Trump will get all the coverage that he wants from CNN, MSNBC, the internet, and websites like this one. He doesn't need Fox at all. 

This would likely backfire disastrously.

Trump is the political equivalent of a Kardashian.  The only positive is that his being in the spotlight is itself a spotlight onto how stupid things have gotten and, for some godawful reason, people love him.  I'd be willing to bet a good third to half of those people love him for the impending train wreck aspect of his campaign but the other half are the red-blood Muricans who have cut their teeth on hate over the last 20 years.  Hating Clintons, hating Muslims and furriners, hating libruls for trying to steal their guns, hating Obama because he's a Muslim furriner librul trying to steal their guns, and of course hating those damned illegals.  

They've been fed an all-you-can-eat buffet of hate and they never get full.  Trump has managed to turn himself into filet mignon of that buffet.  

and, for some godawful reason, people love him. 

Stop playing dumb. White working-class voters love Trump because he very often does speak the truth, and is addressing their concerns and their rage in a way no other candidate will. 

This Bill Maher-style, ivory tower, pompous liberal douchery is why those voters rightly hate you. "I can't even," "wow just wow", etc. No attempt to understand, no self-reflection. On Real Time the other day he was talking about how immigration wasn't a "real issue." Well of course it isn't an issue for Holywood millionaires who can afford to insulate themselves from the results, Bill  :dunce:  But it effects the little people. 

Trump is the political equivalent of a Kardashian.  The only positive is that his being in the spotlight is itself a spotlight onto how stupid things have gotten and, for some godawful reason, people love him.  I'd be willing to bet a good third to half of those people love him for the impending train wreck aspect of his campaign but the other half are the red-blood Muricans who have cut their teeth on hate over the last 20 years.  Hating Clintons, hating Muslims and furriners, hating libruls for trying to steal their guns, hating Obama because he's a Muslim furriner librul trying to steal their guns, and of course hating those damned illegals.  

They've been fed an all-you-can-eat buffet of hate and they never get full.  Trump has managed to turn himself into filet mignon of that buffet.  

There's a lot of that certainly (there's a fairly terrifying deep dive in the New Yorker about how much white power groups are loving Trump), but its not only that. I think he's also appealing to people who are simply afraid, some in the racist sense, but some in the "I make less than my parents did 30 years ago and everything costs so much more and no one's talking about my concerns." Its the same feeling that Sanders is channeling, but from the right instead of the left.

Also, Trump has managed the rare feat of being able to position himself to the right and left of every other GOP candidate. Yes, he's about as far-right as possible on things like immigration and foreign policy, but he's also the only candidate to explicitly rule out any cuts to Medicare or Social Security. He's also once again called for higher taxes on the wealthy, although he was only specifically talking about hedge fund managers in this instance.

Stop playing dumb. White working-class voters love Trump because he very often does speak the truth, and is addressing their concerns and their rage in a way no other candidate will. 

This Bill Maher-style, ivory tower, pompous liberal douchery is why those voters rightly hate you. "I can't even," "wow just wow", etc. No attempt to understand, no self-reflection. On Real Time the other day he was talking about how immigration wasn't a "real issue." Well of course it isn't an issue for Holywood millionaires who can afford to insulate themselves from the results, Bill  :dunce:  But it effects the little people. 

Trump doesn't speak the truth almost ever.

He does however speak directly to the incoherent and bigoted rage of a good chunk of the american electorate.

Here's the thing.  Trump was speaking truth about some of these things for years and was considered a joke candidate any time his name came up.  He was laughed out of the 2012 election before he could do more than test the waters.  He didn't get any traction with Republicans until he was explicitly racist.  He was polling between 1 and 4% before that, he spouts off some "hey guys I hate the illegals too" rhetoric and suddenly he's #1 with a bullet.

I have no doubt that people like the other things Trump is saying once they walked into the door, but the only reason they were in the room in the first place was to hear the guy hate on some Mexicans.  

As for immigration effecting the little people, can you explain why and how Trump is going to help those little people?

Hayyoth: just gonna take a moment to address the welfare claim you made. Onion has been hinting at the issue, but it's this: If at one time, welfare is at 4 -- don't worry about units -- and Republicans want to make it 0, and the Democrats say no, maybe they bargain it down to 2 as a compromise they can live with. If they are then at 2, and 20 years later the Republicans want to move it to 0 again and the Democrats say they won't go lower than 2, that's not a leftward shift or a change in attitude or anything like it. That's consistent with the original position -- they'll live with 2 but no lower, and would really prefer a stronger safety net than that. You can paint it as intransigence, but really you're lambasting them for not agreeing to a worse deal than the one they already made with you. It's dishonest.

Inigma: no that's not my argument. The Democratic Party, at least as things stand currently, are against any and all entitlement reform of any description. It's become a no brainer for them politically. Any time a Repub stands up and points to the unusustainable growth in entitlement spending the Dem side will howl them down with claims that they're 'coming to take your SS/Medicare/Welfare' (delete as appropriate). It's become a way to harvest votes and it's been a very very successful tactic. So yeah I absolutely think if the Clinton reforms hadn't happened then there is no way a Dem politician, let alone a Dem POTUS, would be proposing or supporting them now.

Inigma: no that's not my argument. The Democratic Party, at least as things stand currently, are against any and all entitlement reform of any description. It's become a no brainer for them politically. Any time a Repub stands up and points to the unusustainable growth in entitlement spending the Dem side will howl them down with claims that they're 'coming to take your SS/Medicare/Welfare' (delete as appropriate). It's become a way to harvest votes and it's been a very very successful tactic. So yeah I absolutely think if the Clinton reforms hadn't happened then there is no way a Dem politician, let alone a Dem POTUS, would be proposing or supporting them now.

Yes. And the point is that this isn't a real change in position because those "reforms" under Clinton were not a Democratic plan but rather a compromise between the Democratic president and his Republican congress.

You misunderstand the power balance here. When Trump boycotted Fox the Sunday after the debate (he appeared on every other network's morning show instead), they folded immediately. Trump brings in enormous ratings for these channels, and Fox doesn't want to lose its market share.

The question isn't whether Fox blocks Trump, its whether Trump boycotts Fox again.

Yeah this. Also lmfao at Ailes "Megyn Kelly represents the very best of American journalism". Um yeah sure she does. Trump is acting like a classless douche true, but at the same time Kelly and Fox have totally earned it.

Archived