Moqorro’s Visions of Dragons

LinsarellaSand

In Chapter 34 of ADWD, Tyrion and Moqorro have the following conversation aboard the Selaesori Qhoran:

“Someone told me that the night is dark and full of terrors. What do you see in those flames?”    

“Dragons,” Moqorro said in the Common Tongue of Westeros. He spoke it very well, with hardly a trace of accent. No doubt that was one reason the high priest Benerro had chosen him to bring the faith of R’hllor to Daenerys Targaryen. “Dragons old and young, true and false, bright and dark. And you. A small man with a big shadow, snarling in the midst of all.”

Now, I’ve found plenty of debate over whether Tyrion’s inclusion in that statement indicates anything about his parentage (ie. whether he’s actually a Targaryen, unbeknownst to himself), and the “false dragon” seems easily correlated with “mummer’s dragon” (ie. (f)Aegon), and I suppose that the “old dragon” has to be Aemon (because really, which other “dragon” alive for the events of ASOIAF is truly old?).

But what made me wonder is the part about “bright and dark”... Who are the bright and dark dragons?

Could "dark" be Blackfyre? Or Jon, in his NW blacks (taking R+L=J for granted)? Someone else?

And who is "bright"? Are there popular theories about who this refers to (with rationale to back them up)?

Young- Dany 

True- Jon

Bright- Tyrion 

Dark- BR

Dany is very young for how much she has accomplished and is spoken about by Aemon as being young. Jon is honorable and true in character yet the truth of his identity is unknown. Tyrion (if Aerys turns out to be the father) is very intelligent aka Bright. Bloodraven lives a cave and could turn out to be on the others side so thats about as dark as it gets. 

What do you think?

Young- Dany 

True- Jon

Bright- Tyrion 

Dark- BR

Dany is very young for how much she has accomplished and is spoken about by Aemon as being young. Jon is honorable and true in character yet the truth of his identity is unknown. Tyrion (if Aerys turns out to be the father) is very intelligent aka Bright. Bloodraven lives a cave and could turn out to be on the others side so thats about as dark as it gets. 

What do you think?

I would not count Tyrion as a dragon. I think he will continue his journey and join whoever/whatever is behind the R'hllor cult and manipulate things from there. Thus the big shadow and the snarling.

Young- Dany 

True- Jon

Bright- Tyrion 

Dark- BR

What do you think?

I don't think Tyrion would be considered the bright dragon as the very next sentence Tyrion is explained as something else. (Small man/big shadow/snarling)

This has come up on the forums before so I'll be brief.

I think that it's just as likely that Moqorro was describing two dragons as it was that he was describing six. It could be that there is one old, true, and bright dragon and one young, false, and dark, or that each adjective is meant for its own specific dragon. Both possibilities are worth exploring, though I don't think there's enough in the text for us to really suss this out yet.

I would not count Tyrion as a dragon. I think he will continue his journey and join whoever/whatever is behind the R'hllor cult and manipulate things from there. Thus the big shadow and the snarling.

Agreed, however the descriptions of the dragons Tyrion is not one of them since he stands snarling in the middle of them.

Agreed, however the descriptions of the dragons Tyrion is not one of them since he stands snarling in the middle of them.

I rarely find others who entertain my theory about Tyrion's R'hllor potential. The books have mentioned his big shadow numerous times, from the very start. Still wonder if that doesn't tie into his potential Targness. Perhaps Targs have special potential for such magic as part of their natural gifts.

I think that it's just as likely that Moqorro was describing two dragons as it was that he was describing six. It could be that there is one old, true, and bright dragon and one young, false, and dark, or that each adjective is meant for its own specific dragon. Both possibilities are worth exploring, though I don't think there's enough in the text for us to really suss this out yet.

This...

Old: Aemon Targaryen.

Young: Daenerys Targaryen.

True: Jon Snow.

False: Aegon Targaryen.

Light: House Targaryen.

Dark: House Blackfyre.

I like this.

Good post.

Archived