Video Games: Excuse me Sir, the machine ate my quarter

Howdyphillip

Alexander mod... I must search for this. I didn't realize Wrath of Sparta was anything more than a sideshow campaign. Have you played Caesar In Gaul? I'm interested in that one.

Meanwhile, I bought and installed Mad Max but I haven't played it yet due to being compelled to write an ungodly long rant in one thread and a fantasy football draft. :rolleyes:

No, I have that one, too, but other than the Grand Campaign, I only played the Imperator Campaign.

Alexander mod... I must search for this. I didn't realize Wrath of Sparta was anything more than a sideshow campaign. Have you played Caesar In Gaul? I'm interested in that one.

Meanwhile, I bought and installed Mad Max but I haven't played it yet due to being compelled to write an ungodly long rant in one thread and a fantasy football draft. :rolleyes:

I've played a bit of it, it's not too bad. 

I like the concept, but i doubt this game will be a very long one. 

Obvious comparison point:  how is it compared to Hong Kong?  Less of a ridiculous(ly awesome) setting, obviously, but are the missions more/less fun?  I was going to get it before HK came out and I'm still jonesing for some good cyberpunk.  

It's very different. It's in full 3D, looks a thousand times better and you have absolute freedom to walk around the (absolutely bloody massive) city however you like. The mission briefings are fairly succinct, the writing is pretty terse and there isn't much of it or plot or character. It's really a backdrop to how you choose to accomplish tasks, either by stealth, hacking or frontal assaults. It's more of a sandbox with the plot and mission briefings really being there to give some structure to the game.

I was actually thinking that if the next wave of Shadowrun games used this engine (which is both gorgeous and extremely undemanding), and changed up the combat to turn-based they'd be onto a massively winning formula.

I was actually thinking that if the next wave of Shadowrun games used this engine (which is both gorgeous and extremely undemanding), and changed up the combat to turn-based they'd be onto a massively winning formula.

So is there a pause, a la Pillars of Eternity, or is it true real time?

So is there a pause, a la Pillars of Eternity, or is it true real time?

True real time, with no pause. It's basically Syndicate 3.

I do wonder if either the devs or fans will mod in a pause mode. What worked in 1993 on Syndicate feels surprisingly harsh on this game. I think the idea is that you are supposed to be weedy and fragile at the start of the game and stick to the shadows and siphon off money from banks and steal tech, and then build up to be walking tanks of death later on. Which is great, but it might put a few people off.

By the way, there's a TV docudrama about Grand Theft Auto on the BBC next week which features Daniel Radcliffe as Sam Houser and Bill Paxton as Jack Thompson. Yes, that sentence I just typed actually exists.

The linked RPS article also reveals the hitherto-unknown (to me) existence of GTA/Harry Potter crossover fanfic.

Total Warhammer (which is what I'm calling it) has a video up about dwarves. Dwarves are cool.

ETA: Oh, Satellite Reign had an update which made the optional "slow down time during combat" ability a base feature of the game. Not quite real-time with pause, but it makes the combat a lot more straightfoward.

Been playing Mad Max and I'm really loving it so far, but like LH said it doesn't feel like it's gonna be extremely long. I like the concept, as it's basically Far Cry meets Batman. I enjoy this type of combat system and the car driving is just great. It's also really hard to find ammo (so far).

ETA: Oh, and if you're waiting for Fallout 4, you might wanna check this out instead.

Been playing Mad Max and I'm really loving it so far, but like LH said it doesn't feel like it's gonna be extremely long. I like the concept, as it's basically Far Cry meets Batman. I enjoy this type of combat system and the car driving is just great. It's also really hard to find ammo (so far).

ETA: Oh, and if you're waiting for Fallout 4, you might wanna check this out instead.

To make things worse with the ammo, i keep pressing the firing button by accident because the controls are very different from most games, i've wasted at least 5 bullets like that sadly...lol

Is Total Warhammer old lore or the new revised-for-the-purposes-of-money lore?

They're using the old lore. That trailer alone contains lots of references to various places and characters in the Old World, none of which exist any more in the [i]Age of Sigmar[/i] (also, Dwarfs are called "Duardin" now).

Is Total Warhammer old lore or the new revised-for-the-purposes-of-money lore?

As above. Warhammer actually no longer exists, it's now Age of Sigmar which is a completely separate thing really.

Got to early Act III in Pillars of Eternity, which is a bit farther than last time, and again hit that wall. There's just not enough writing or gameplay to sustain a game this long. There is a lot of background writing of course, but there's really not much related to the current plot or the characters (who, for the most part, have absolutely nothing to say besides all their intro dialog and stuff related to their personal quest). As for gameplay, I am only on normal, but I've reached a powerlevel where almost every fight now is just auto-attack until dead. Once in a while I'll have Aloth throw a fireball.

So I picked up Shadowrun Hong Kong. I've only played 3 hours so far, but in those 3 hours the game made its world and characters feel so much more alive than Pillars did in 38 hours. I would've liked to finish off Pillars, but I don't have the time to be OCD anymore about games I'm not enjoying.

Playing Medieval 2 as England, and decided to join a crusade against Antioch. Got my king, feudal knights, yeomen, armoured swordsmen, spearmen and some trebuchets, loaded them up onto some ships and away I went. But because I tried sailing around Spain, which took me away from Antioch ever so slightly, my treasonous soldiers decided to start deserting (who knows where to - we were out at sea), so by the time I got around the bend I had only 14 of my 20 original stacks.

No biggie though. I arrived west of Antioch, took a city and planned to buy some mercenaries and make a final push for Antioch (which only had about 4 units defending it). During the next turn an army came and reinforced it, and another couple started buzzing around nearby, so I decided to wait inside the city until they left or got distracted by the other crusaders. Then my soldiers once again decided I wasn't making enough progress and began deserting, forcing me to hire a bunch of local mercenaries. Suddenly Venice, who I hadn't fought at all throughout the campaign, landed next to my city and besieged it.

All my English king wanted was to fight some infidels and capture Antioch, yet somehow ended up leading an army of infidels against belligerent Venetians. :/

Playing Medieval 2 as England, and decided to join a crusade against Antioch. Got my king, feudal knights, yeomen, armoured swordsmen, spearmen and some trebuchets, loaded them up onto some ships and away I went. But because I tried sailing around Spain, which took me away from Antioch ever so slightly, my treasonous soldiers decided to start deserting (who knows where to - we were out at sea), so by the time I got around the bend I had only 14 of my 20 original stacks.

No biggie though. I arrived west of Antioch, took a city and planned to buy some mercenaries and make a final push for Antioch (which only had about 4 units defending it). During the next turn an army came and reinforced it, and another couple started buzzing around nearby, so I decided to wait inside the city until they left or got distracted by the other crusaders. Then my soldiers once again decided I wasn't making enough progress and began deserting, forcing me to hire a bunch of local mercenaries. Suddenly Venice, who I hadn't fought at all throughout the campaign, landed next to my city and besieged it.

All my English king wanted was to fight some infidels and capture Antioch, yet somehow ended up leading an army of infidels against belligerent Venetians. :/

That was your problem, they weren't infidels they were godless heathens. So you weren't giving the proper inspirational speeches to the troops to keep them motivated.

I just found out that the MGSV app for the iPhone will display the mini-map while you play... My mind is blown.

Does the minimap not normally display on the screen or something?

It's a cool feature I suppose but I can't imagine a practical use for it.

In preparation for the story DLC Tresspasser for DA:I, I'm finishing Jaws of Hakkon and The Descent. Currently, I have one last quest in the former, but I had the pleasure of doing the absolutely hilarious judgement...

[spoiler]of the bear Storvacker! Come on, that was so hilarious! I recruited her for the Inquisition, LOL. No other option is really satisfiying.[/spoiler]

So I'm playing MGSV on Xbox One, and I'd like to have some friends whose FOB I can defend (plus, if they want, they can defend mine). I'm not really into infiltration just yet, but I'd like some experience defending bases in general. Unfortunately the only friend I have with the game on Xbox One barely plays it. 

Do people need to be your online friends in order to have this defend/protect feature going on? I've been searching a bit on the internet and haven't found anything conclusive yet. It doesn't help that the game's "tutorials" for this mode are pretty weak and barely even cover the basics, which is even worse since this a relatively complex game system (and one sitting at the top of countless other complex game systems). 

Archived