Video Games: Excuse me Sir, the machine ate my quarter

Howdyphillip

My first post on the ASOIAF forums here is in the Video Game thread! Lol. I want to post about the books at some point too, but this caught my attention.

Anyway, TW3 has been pretty good, I still haven't finished it, TW series as a whole is pretty fun, been mostly playing FE: Awakening these days myself.

Welcome to the board!  Go spend some time in the book threads and if you don't get caught in the endless circular discussions, find your way back to us.  :lol:  Most of us down here haven't been north of General Chat in years, for that way lies madness.

In all seriousness though, far and away the best part of the board I can recommend to you is the Other Literature section.  I have been reading book recommendations from there for years and I'm not close to caught up yet!

Welcome to the board!  Go spend some time in the book threads and if you don't get caught in the endless circular discussions, find your way back to us.  :lol:  Most of us down here haven't been north of General Chat in years, for that way lies madness.

In all seriousness though, far and away the best part of the board I can recommend to you is the Other Literature section.  I have been reading book recommendations from there for years and I'm not close to caught up yet!

Oh ok thanks! You know I used to lurk on these forums some time ago, before they got all kind of spiffier and fancier, and honestly they look a little bit glossy and busier these days which put me off slightly, that said we shall see =-)

Anyway the Other Literature section sounds good though, there are so many interesting things to read that I haven't gotten to and maybe some others are interested over there.

ZOMG!  Looks like I won't need to get that Vita after all... PS4 remote play coming to PC/Mac.

Finally I can waste time at work playing Destiny!  :D

A little while back that may have been a feature from which I would have got a lot of use. But these days people in my house watch way more TV streaming through computers, which means the TV is often left sitting idle unless someone is gaming on it. And if that someone isn't me then remote play on PC won't be an option. The time when remote play would be most useful would be if we had two consoles, which would mean one person can play one console on the TV and the other person could play via remote play on the PC. But until I get my PS3 back, we will be a one console home. Still once we're back to having PS3 & 4 in the house I think remote play on PC will get enough use for it to be a worthwhile feature.

Now, as to playing at work...or more broadly playing on a PC that is not on the same local network as the PS4...is that going to be a thing? I know my brother, who doesn't have any console, would like to play some PS4 games. And if he can remote in to my PS4 from his house that would be pretty good for him. But if remote play will work like it does for Xperia phones, the controller would need to be connected directly to the PS4.

I leveled as a protection warrior... :lol:

My God you must hate life. :P

We're already 44 tho so it's really not that bad cos we haven't been rushing and not even used quest addons, just flounced about and googled stuff we couldn't find. Plus memory was surprisingly good, given our age and other things crowding it out! Soon it's time for Maraudon, Blackrock Depths and Sunken Temple tho, so maybe I'll just give up an cry. Dunno, but that could potentially be very painful.

In other news I was considering the new Assassin's Creed game on the Steam sale, but then I remembered that Jace didn't like it much and started flip-floping and didn't get it.  The outfits look awesome tho. Perhaps I should get my own copy of Black Flag instead (my SO has out only family copy so far) as it's both cheaper and prolly more entertaining. Also, Edward Kenway.

My God you must hate life. :P

We're already 44 tho so it's really not that bad cos we haven't been rushing and not even used quest addons, just flounced about and googled stuff we couldn't find. Plus memory was surprisingly good, given our age and other things crowding it out! Soon it's time for Maraudon, Blackrock Depths and Sunken Temple tho, so maybe I'll just give up an cry. Dunno, but that could potentially be very painful.

Sitting in Ironforge:  "LFG Mara - Pricess Run" "LFG BRD - Jailbreak. Need Rogue Imp Sap"

:lol: 

Downloaded the Rainbow 6 Beta this weekend and played about an hour or so of it - its alright, got fond memories as Rainbow 6 was my goto shooter when I was really into them.

Being really disappointed with Battlefront and needing a Star Wars fix, I updated Star Wars : The Old Republic and resubbed for a month.  Well, my server had shutdown and I had been moved so I had lost the name Lyanna Stark, so now I'm Tyrelliana Starke.  My head almost exploded with all the things I had forgot in the 18-24 months since I last played it.  Subbers get a free Level 60 Character and I've made a level 60 Powertech and am levelling my 50 Marauder through the 2 expacs to get to the latest expansion.

50-55 seems to be dealing with the Hutts alot while 56-60 is a Revan expansion, looking forward that and the 60+ content looks ace, it seems very story driven what with the chapter outlines.  I'm having fun so far, but this game seriously strains my pc.  Just a few days ago  I was playing Battlefront with 120fps while TOR putters along at 45-60 when the screen is fill with effects and flashing lights etc.

Downloaded the Rainbow 6 Beta this weekend and played about an hour or so of it - its alright, got fond memories as Rainbow 6 was my goto shooter when I was really into them.

Being really disappointed with Battlefront and needing a Star Wars fix, I updated Star Wars : The Old Republic and resubbed for a month.  Well, my server had shutdown and I had been moved so I had lost the name Lyanna Stark, so now I'm Tyrelliana Starke.  My head almost exploded with all the things I had forgot in the 18-24 months since I last played it.  Subbers get a free Level 60 Character and I've made a level 60 Powertech and am levelling my 50 Marauder through the 2 expacs to get to the latest expansion.

50-55 seems to be dealing with the Hutts alot while 56-60 is a Revan expansion, looking forward that and the 60+ content looks ace, it seems very story driven what with the chapter outlines.  I'm having fun so far, but this game seriously strains my pc.  Just a few days ago  I was playing Battlefront with 120fps while TOR putters along at 45-60 when the screen is fill with effects and flashing lights etc.

Hold on, you get a free level 60 character if you sub? So does that mean I can start out the story at level 60 and not have to grind?

Hold on, you get a free level 60 character if you sub? So does that mean I can start out the story at level 60 and not have to grind?

Yep - you get a free level 60 character if you sub and you can buy level 60 tokens ingame to get more level 60s.  What with the way they zone content now, it should be possible to make a level 60 toon and go back and just do the class missions.  They downgrade your level to match the zone you're in.  As it stand you can jump straight into the Knights of a Fallen Empire expac, the first chapter is specifically designed to teach you the basics of your class and all your abilities.

Right now, my light-side lady sith marauder is encouraging her companions to breed as much as possible so we have offspring to bring up according to our beliefs.  Quinn has been rather receptive to being treated like a breeding stud.  

The game is not without its flaws, but still a good Star Wars experience overall, imo.  I just gotta get through the Hutt stuff so I can see what the Revan expansion is like!

Well I just bought an Xbox One. First console I've had since the original Xbox. Not opening it until Christmas though.

I'd recommend setting it up beforehand. It takes a while for the updates plus jerks like to ddos on Xmas.

I bought way too much on the weekends PSN sale.  My backlog was already too big.  Stupid Sony.

Now, as to playing at work...or more broadly playing on a PC that is not on the same local network as the PS4...is that going to be a thing? I know my brother, who doesn't have any console, would like to play some PS4 games. And if he can remote in to my PS4 from his house that would be pretty good for him. But if remote play will work like it does for Xperia phones, the controller would need to be connected directly to the PS4.

From what I've heard of this project (assuming it's the same; I can't look at the linked article now), this is just the mobile app reconfigured to run on PC.  And will able to use a controller by connecting it to your PC, not the PS4.  And potentially m&k controls.

Does the Xperia app not interface with the controller directly?  That would kind of defeat the purpose of remote play if you had to be near your PS4 to use it.

I bought way too much on the weekends PSN sale.  My backlog was already too big.  Stupid Sony.

From what I've heard of this project (assuming it's the same; I can't look at the linked article now), this is just the mobile app reconfigured to run on PC.  And will able to use a controller by connecting it to your PC, not the PS4.  And potentially m&k controls.

Does the Xperia app not interface with the controller directly?  That would kind of defeat the purpose of remote play if you had to be near your PS4 to use it.

I will have to double check on whether the controller connects to the phone or the PS4.  The one time I used remote play on my Xperia phone it was in the room next to the lounge so i was within Bluetooth distance of the PS4 and I can't remeber whether the controller was connected to the phone or the PS4. 

With the PSVita function can you play a PS4 game through the Vita when you are away from home?

With the PSVita function can you play a PS4 game through the Vita when you are away from home?

Yes.  I had a friend who took it to work with him.  Just leave the PS4 on standby and you're good to go is my understanding.

It amazes me how hard it is to ever find anything that really explains how this works though.

Someone here on the board used to play Destiny that way.

Yes.  I had a friend who took it to work with him.  Just leave the PS4 on standby and you're good to go is my understanding.

It amazes me how hard it is to ever find anything that really explains how this works though.

Someone here on the board used to play Destiny that way.

OK then, so my son will almost certainly be able to keep on playing NBA2K through his laptop during the university year, and finish MGSV, and play Uncharted 4... basically we need this App to be released for PC NOW!

I looked at the PS4/Xbone bundled Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals, but there just wasn't a good enough one for me. Problem is, I'm fully converted to PC gaming at this point, so I only want one for the few true exclusives that I want to play; which means my price point is around $199 (maybe $249 if its a bundle I want or the 1TB version). So it'll probably be a while.

I got a PS4 last night! I was able to try out Bloodborne for about an hour. At first I was playing while the patch downloaded; the 1.0 version was a little rough, lol. I'm still trying to come to grips with the combat. It's so much faster paced that the two Souls games I played. I never parried at all in Dark Souls since I never seemed to be able to hit the timing window reliably. The window seems more generous in Bloodborne, but it's still tricky; your pistol is not a get out of jail free card that your shield often was before.

I got a kick out of the weak guys with the crappy wooden shield. It seemed to be From saying "this is what we think of shields in this game," haha.

I need to see if there is an option I need to enable to automatically target the nearest enemy after one dies. It wasn't doing that last night, and it drove me batty. It has the added problem of not doing the sweet new dash if you don't have someone targeted. The roll looks far slower at least.

Anyway, I like it so far. I also got the Witcher 3 in the weekend PSN sale. The other games I have are various PS+ freebies. I've been making sure to grab them over the last year when they come up, so I have Resogun, Drive Club, Rocket League, etc.

ETA: I was pleased with how well install-as-you-play seemed to be implemented. I had to download that 9 gb patch, but I never saw an install screen for Bloodborne, yet it's taking up 35 gigs on my drive.

I looked at the PS4/Xbone bundled Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals, but there just wasn't a good enough one for me. Problem is, I'm fully converted to PC gaming at this point, so I only want one for the few true exclusives that I want to play; which means my price point is around $199 (maybe $249 if its a bundle I want or the 1TB version). So it'll probably be a while.

What are they? If doesn't include Uncharted or Ratchet and Clank then 2016 is not likely to be your year to get a PS4. And if it's not Halo (which I guess it mustn't be) then what's coming 2016 that will grab your attention? More than likely there will be a $249 Black Friday deal next year, but if the games you want are still not out, or coming soon there's still not much incentive to get into either console.

I guess Knack doesn't float your boat. :D

I got a PS4 last night! I was able to try out Bloodborne for about an hour. At first I was playing while the patch downloaded; the 1.0 version was a little rough, lol. I'm still trying to come to grips with the combat. It's so much faster paced that the two Souls games I played. I never parried at all in Dark Souls since I never seemed to be able to hit the timing window reliably. The window seems more generous in Bloodborne, but it's still tricky; your pistol is not a get out of jail free card that your shield often was before.

I got a kick out of the weak guys with the crappy wooden shield. It seemed to be From saying "this is what we think of shields in this game," haha.

I need to see if there is an option I need to enable to automatically target the nearest enemy after one dies. It wasn't doing that last night, and it drove me batty. It has the added problem of not doing the sweet new dash if you don't have someone targeted. The roll looks far slower at least.

Anyway, I like it so far. I also got the Witcher 3 in the weekend PSN sale. The other games I have are various PS+ freebies. I've been making sure to grab them over the last year when they come up, so I have Resogun, Drive Club, Rocket League, etc.

ETA: I was pleased with how well install-as-you-play seemed to be implemented. I had to download that 9 gb patch, but I never saw an install screen for Bloodborne, yet it's taking up 35 gigs on my drive.

I haven't played many 2015 games, but Rocket League is my favourite 2015 game that I have played. However that may change once I get around to Bloodborne, or MGSV, or The Witcher 3.

Archived