Video Games: Excuse me Sir, the machine ate my quarter

Howdyphillip

I guess we are finally moving on to the new forum?

Anyway, I finished Legacy of the Void. It has the strongest story(by far, I think) of the trilogy, but the mission design... it feels like they have ran out of ideas or rushed them(probably the former), since most of them(anywhere between 10 and 19(which is the full amount of missions), I did not keep count) are - you have a small base, there are couple of targets you need to destroy, DESTROY THEM. The gameplay and all was fine and there was gimmicky stuff, but it was nowhere near enough to shake off the feeling of playing the same mission over and over again.

I'll give it an 8/10. 9 for the story(nothing spectacular, but it gets that mark for being the best of the trilogy), 10 for the gameplay, and 5 for the mission design.

I guess we are finally moving on to the new forum?

Anyway, I finished Legacy of the Void. It has the strongest story(by far, I think) of the trilogy, but the mission design... it feels like they have ran out of ideas or rushed them(probably the former), since most of them(anywhere between 10 and 19(which is the full amount of missions), I did not keep count) are - you have a small base, there are couple of targets you need to destroy, DESTROY THEM. The gameplay and all was fine and there was gimmicky stuff, but it was nowhere near enough to shake off the feeling of playing the same mission over and over again.

I'll give it an 8/10. 9 for the story(nothing spectacular, but it gets that mark for being the best of the trilogy), 10 for the gameplay, and 5 for the mission design.

WTF. I haven't even started it. Please no spoilers, but I'm glad that the story is good.

And I am laughing at Pony Queen Jace for starting the new thread to spite someone today of all days. Even though it's likely this post will be erased, too, pending further changes. I propose the new topic to be called There Is Karma in Video Gaming. :P

I'm glad to hear that there are actual base building missions.  I thought there were not enough of those in WoL and HotS.

I think my favorite mission in all of Brood War was the Protoss level where you could use a Dark Archon to mind control an overlord and then slip another Dark Archon onto a shelf above a Zerg base near their drones and then mind control it and pick it up with the overlord.  Then you could bring it back to your base and create your very own Zerg colony as well and research the entire tech tree for both races.

Sure you could beat the level a lot faster if you just focused on wiping out the specific Zerg with your Protoss forces, but working the two full armies was a ton of fun.

Last night I finished the third prologue mission and then the first of the campaign missions.  Loved laying down some righteous void justice in that first level.  :lol:

WTF. I haven't even started it. Please no spoilers, but I'm glad that the story is good.

I have enough time atm for anything, so I basically finished the game in 12 or so hours, though not in one sitting. Unfortunately, sleep is for the prudent.

I'm glad to hear that there are actual base building missions.  I thought there were not enough of those in WoL and HotS.

I think my favorite mission in all of Brood War was the Protoss level where you could use a Dark Archon to mind control an overlord and then slip another Dark Archon onto a shelf above a Zerg base near their drones and then mind control it and pick it up with the overlord.  Then you could bring it back to your base and create your very own Zerg colony as well and research the entire tech tree for both races.

Sure you could beat the level a lot faster if you just focused on wiping out the specific Zerg with your Protoss forces, but working the two full armies was a ton of fun.

Last night I finished the third prologue mission and then the first of the campaign missions.  Loved laying down some righteous void justice in that first level.  :lol:

Thing is, outside of a couple, they are mostly exactly the same base building missions outside of some gimmicky stuff(for example, the Void Trasher on Shakuras). You get a Nexus, 6-7 probes, two gateways/gateway and starport/gateway and robo... and then you have to destroy several things on the map. It became boring to me soon.

I've only played LotV for a couple of hours so far, I'm on the fence so far, but still enjoying the experience.

Allied Commanders is fun - though the pathetic difficulty settings and the idiotic leveling system is going to be a problem.  I am assuming brutal cant really be managed since you have to level up your abilities to be truly able to handle the scenarios. We'll see after this weekend.

Warping in units looks so bloody cool now though!

Played through the first missions of Legacy of the Void, up to where you get the big ship and start choosing missions and technologies.

The Dragoons are back!!! I died when I heard "I have returned." And damn, Zeratul! I expected it, but I still hoped it would not happen.  Screw the Terrans, the Protoss are once again my favorite faction. 

Played through the first missions of Legacy of the Void, up to where you get the big ship and start choosing missions and technologies.

Hidden Content

I don't like the Dragoons here cause Stalkers are so much more useful, especiall with shield blink which makes offensive blinks a no-brainer. And Zeratul... No words man.[\spoiler]

Just booted up The Decent for Dragon Age Inquisition. Man I'm loving the nostaligia of coming up against all those Darkspawn that went MIA for DA2 and the main DA:I campaign: genlocks, emissaries, shrieks, melee hurlocks. I'm enjoying it for that alone. Not far enough into the DLC to say whether I like it over all and if its worth the money. But I decided my elf playthrough needs to be my definitive playthrough, because of the elfy connection to the main plot. So I figure playing Decent and eventually Trespasser needs to be part of it.

Just booted up The Decent for Dragon Age Inquisition. Man I'm loving the nostaligia of coming up against all those Darkspawn that went MIA for DA2 and the main DA:I campaign: genlocks, emissaries, shrieks, melee hurlocks. I'm enjoying it for that alone. Not far enough into the DLC to say whether I like it over all and if its worth the money. But I decided my elf playthrough needs to be my definitive playthrough, because of the elfy connection to the main plot. So I figure playing Decent and eventually Trespasser needs to be part of it.

I just have a hard time working up the will to get DA:I fired up again.  Its probably the only game I completed in the last several years that I just did not enjoy at all.  And that makes me sad.  :(

I just have a hard time working up the will to get DA:I fired up again.  Its probably the only game I completed in the last several years that I just did not enjoy at all.  And that makes me sad.  :(

I'm on my third play through. I do find some aspects a bit tedious and I think the move to large open environments might have been a mistake. The only thing open world does is make it take longer to get from where you are to where you want to be, unless you use fast travel, which kind of means open world not well thought out. to have large open environments you need travel to be fun and interesting. Like driving cars really fast, or flying or using other super powers to traverse environments. If you are just walking/running or riding a horse everywhere it becomes boring and wastes time. I still find the game itself enjoyable. But it will be time to move on to something else after this play through, so who knows when I'll get around to my dwarf rogue play through.

Westeros, I hardly recognize you any more! My goodness.

I am on the Legacy of the Void grind as well. Have to say I agree with CorwinusJ about the repetitiveness of the mission design. I think I'm through 16/19 at this point and there is a lot of same-ness to it. Probably doesn't help that I should be playing on Hard difficulty rather than Normal. Maybe it would feel better if I was challenging myself more. Now that I'm thinking about it, I had a similar complaint about the Zerg campaign.

I do feel like the overall Protoss campaign is stronger than the Zerg one because there's just so much more personality going on between missions. Still not as good as the Terran campaign was - there's just no topping Raynor's little rag-tag ship and crew. But it's an improvement, so that's something.

Kinda looking forward to digging into multiplayer at some point and giving a try to Archon Mode. Seems like that would be a lot of fun to play with a friend over Skype and you're both running the same base against a team that's doing the same.

Westeros, I hardly recognize you any more! My goodness.

I am on the Legacy of the Void grind as well. Have to say I agree with CorwinusJ about the repetitiveness of the mission design. I think I'm through 16/19 at this point and there is a lot of same-ness to it. Probably doesn't help that I should be playing on Hard difficulty rather than Normal. Maybe it would feel better if I was challenging myself more. Now that I'm thinking about it, I had a similar complaint about the Zerg campaign.

I do feel like the overall Protoss campaign is stronger than the Zerg one because there's just so much more personality going on between missions. Still not as good as the Terran campaign was - there's just no topping Raynor's little rag-tag ship and crew. But it's an improvement, so that's something.

Kinda looking forward to digging into multiplayer at some point and giving a try to Archon Mode. Seems like that would be a lot of fun to play with a friend over Skype and you're both running the same base against a team that's doing the same.

I loved Legacy more than Wings, simply because I love the Protoss. Also, don't forget that there's a 3-mission epilogue campaign which is mindblowing... and it might leave you unsatisfied/angry, though I loved it. I won't even vaguely spoil it.

Bwahahahahaha

Hilarity ensues in Legacy of the Void.  :lmao: In typical Blizzard dry humor, a character that I shall leave nameless for fear of spoilers just rattled off tales of his war exploits that were Protoss versions of great movies like Die Hard, Saving Private Ryan, Predator, and several others.

I didn't recognize them all, but the Die Hard one was hilarious when he says that during the sacred holiday of Kay'mhras (or something like that) terrorists took over a tower and after crawling barefoot across shattered Khaydarin crystals, he slayed all the enemies with their own warp blades.  :lol:

Personally, I was totally unable to go back to Inquisition after playing Witcher 3.  It's just so bland and boring by comparison.

At least its a better topic title than the one Jace came up with!  :thumbsup:

And we lost the three pages debating the difficulty of Diablo 3!! :P

So far I've been a bit meh about the DLCs for DA:I, mostly because it felt the DA2 and DA:O ones were more character centric while the DA:I ones aren't really. But perhaps I should give them another whirl and not be such a grumpy old git.

And we lost the three pages debating the difficulty of Diablo 3!! :P

So far I've been a bit meh about the DLCs for DA:I, mostly because it felt the DA2 and DA:O ones were more character centric while the DA:I ones aren't really. But perhaps I should give them another whirl and not be such a grumpy old git.

Trespasser DLC is completely character centric, believe me.

Archived