Video Games: Excuse me Sir, the machine ate my quarter

Howdyphillip

What could define "cleared"? In this game the ball is never cleared because a goal can be scored from almost anywhere except a wall hugger on the back wall. If the game ends the moment a player from each team touches the ball after the clock gets to zero if the ball is in the air, or the ball is grounded, that would probably be reasonable. I think they way the do it now is OK though.

Looks like Until Dawn is getting pretty good reviews. I was expecting it to be low 70's on metacritic, that it's just a point of being an 80 is good for the game.

My DA:I elf play through will be as a warrior, since I did Qunari rogue and Human mage. I have dwarf (which will be a Varric replacement, rogue archer, and Elf, which will be the one class I haven't played yet. Elf warrior first. Of course that's if I get past the end of the first Act with my current mage playthrough on Nightmare difficulty. I'm having to start from scratch for the battle for Haven because I had too few potions and not enough health going into the boss captain fight. I'm playing Sera as an assassin and I managed to get her through the last half of the fight immediately before the boss captain fight on zero health and very judiscious use of barrier, stealth and evade. And almost got through with IB on zero health with guard and barrier.  

One of my next plays through will have to be where Morrigan doesn't have a demon baby from DA:O. That's the main thing I need to change about the set up I have in the Keep.

[spoiler]The timer hit zero when the ball was cleared. The game should end when it hits zero, not five seconds after it hits zero. Start the countdown earlier if you have to, but the game should end when the timer hits zero. Stretching that last second out is just artificial drama when everyone knows you get extra time after the clock runs out. [/spoiler]

So I'm at a bit of a...

I'm really into Witcher 3 and Civilization V.

But the Diablo patch releases today. And Metal Gear releases next week.

Then Halo in October. I've got to somehow beat/get all my gaming or before Halo drops and I don't even know where to start.

It doesn't help that I recently dropped all kinds of money into Warmachine (table-top game) and... well I can't balance it all out dammit.

and Cole(I liked him all the more for the same reason many disliked him - his unique strangeness).

I, too, grew to really like Cole. He and Blackwall make for a good combo to have in your party. They end up becoming really good friends and Cole seems to help Blackwall through his...issues.

[spoiler]The timer hit zero when the ball was cleared. The game should end when it hits zero, not five seconds after it hits zero. Start the countdown earlier if you have to, but the game should end when the timer hits zero. Stretching that last second out is just artificial drama when everyone knows you get extra time after the clock runs out. [/spoiler]

I think you're confused. The timer is supposed to count down from five seconds. So five seconds left in the game, and the countdown begins. Maybe you get this and I was just confused though.

Secondly the game does end when the timer hits zero as long as the ball isn't in the air. The second it touches the ground, after zero, game over. I like that, and have seen many skilled teams score because of it.

I think you're confused. The timer is supposed to count down from five seconds. So five seconds left in the game, and the countdown begins. Maybe you get this and I was just confused though.

Secondly the game does end when the timer hits zero as long as the ball isn't in the air. The second it touches the ground, after zero, game over. I like that, and have seen many skilled teams score because of it.

Really? I've seen the game end with the ball flying right in front of goal. Regardless, my stance is timer hits zero = game over. No extra long last seconds.

Really? I've seen the game end with the ball flying right in front of goal. Regardless, my stance is timer hits zero = game over. No extra long last seconds.

Maybe there's a difference between ranked and unranked. Or maybe PC only vs PS4.

ETA: Sorry Jace didn't see your question till right now. Rocket League.

What in god's name are you guys talking about?

Rocket League.

Maybe there's a difference between ranked and unranked. Or maybe PC only vs PS4.

Mm.. I just played a couple of games and you're kinda right. The game ends after a last bounce, not when the ball touches the ground.

So yeah, been playing a bit of Crypt of the Necrodancer recently... but All Zones Mode with all of my unlocked characters... except Aria...

She can't switch weapons, she can only take a single hit, and she dies upon missing a beat.

I don't think I've ever seen a difficulty spike that intense in all of my life as a video game enthusiast.

Hard West (basically Deadlands: The Game) is looking interesting. Basically, XCOM in the Weird West.

Skyshine's Bedlam (basically a steampunk Banner Saga) is also looking really good. Some fortuitous timing means they can sell the Mad Max-esque setting quite well.

Meanwhile, the first of Pillars of Eternity's two expansions is now out.

Isn't it named Honest Hearts?

Arse, yes it is :)

Does New Vegas end permanently after the battle at the Dam? I want to know if I should get them before or after I do that.

Yes, the main storyline of New Vegas results in the game ending for good.

Just encountered a Bandit Shrine in D3 for the first time. Had no idea what it did before I clicked it. And then chaos happened. 

But so much treasure. 

ETA: Found another bandit shrine in the next part of the cave and cleared out the rest of the mobs this time before activating it. Managed to trap all but one of the little bastards in a corner and spam hammers at them. I don't even know what blood shards are for but I've got loads of them now. First set recipes (Cain's Fate, Born's Command and Aughild's Victory), nearly a million gold, shitload of marquise gems and crafting mats...I need to find more of these shrines. 

Rocket League.

Mm.. I just played a couple of games and you're kinda right. The game ends after a last bounce, not when the ball touches the ground.

Thanks. I was combing through the comments because I thought you guys were talking about Dragon Age, and stuff about balls and goals and clocks didn't quite add up. I figured you were talking about a different game, but I couldn't find the starting point of your conversation to be sure. :dunce:

You only get extra time after hitting zero for as long as you can keep the ball in the air. Once the ball hits the ground the game is over instantly. The amount of skill it takes to keep the ball in the air enough to do anything game changing is huge. winning a game after the end of the countdown, or forcing an overtime, is rare enough that it's not game breaking.

I suppose coming from a different sporting background I am completely fine with games running past the official end time. Rugby is a standard 80 minute game, but the game does not always end on exactly 80 minutes. The game ends at the final break in play after 80 minutes is finished. If the defending side commits a penalty offence to break the play the game does not end, the attacking side gets to restart play. A game can go on for several minutes after the 80 minutes until there is a non-penalty break in play or someone scores. And teams have won games in the post 80 minute period. So for me keeping the ball in the air after the clock runs down to keep the game alive is a totally OK thing and if that leads to scoring then its a testament to the skill of the player/team and not a broken element of the game's design.

Some games / sports need to have an absolute stop time, other games/sports don't.

Thanks. I was combing through the comments because I thought you guys were talking about Dragon Age, and stuff about balls and goals and clocks didn't quite add up. I figured you were talking about a different game, but I couldn't find the starting point of your conversation to be sure. :dunce:

Hmmm a Dragon Age themed sports game, something like Blood Bowl perhaps.

Rocket League.

No, it's just ball hitting ground, no final bounce. But it has to hit the flat of the pitch, if it hits the curved section where wall meets floor then the game doesn't count that as a grounding. A bounce of wall or roof will keep the game alive.

Some games / sports need to have an absolute stop time, other games/sports don't.

I'm not sure any sports have an absolute stop time. Even if the NFL has a rule that a game can't end on a defensive penalty and that if one occurs there will be an untimed play to finish things out.

Meanwhile, the first of Pillars of Eternity's two expansions is now out.

I've been thinking of firing up PoE again, once I finish this DA:I replay. I got nearly 40 hours in, but was still only in Act II (and on level 7 of Old Nua) when I just got bored and stopped off. I'm not sure about that expansion though, I generally like post-game DLC more than side-adventure DLC.

Archived