Football 3-3 (@ Fratton Park)

Zoë Sumra

Little Pea is fucking garbage. I don't think I've ever know a player at a top club miss more sitters.

I remember one from a Mexico game where, 6 yards out and with an open goal, he contrived to play a team mate offside instead. Impressive.

Little Pea misses some sitters and yet his finishing record is excellent. He also has excellent off-the-ball movement in terms of finding space and pulling defenders about. He doesn't do much else, in terms of hold-up and creative play, which is his obvious problem, and his control isn't that good when he's running with the ball, but as a pure goalscorer he's unarguably really good at it.

Right now he needs a major confidence boost but I'm fairly sure once he settles he'll be putting them away regularly in Germany.

Right. Because pace, intelligence and a natural striker's instincts are the last things we need at the moment.

Please. He's a decent enough player who has been meh over the last few years and would replace no one in our side. You can't bring in yet another average player who's similar to a player we already have and expect him to play over guys who have been here for years. He answers no questions and only improves us if he happens to grab a goal on his random 10 minutes or occasional start. He doesn't start over Giroud and with Walcotts contract, he doesn't start over him. That leaves us with yet another player who rides the bench and Arsenal sitting in the exact same position it has been in for years... a lot of average strikers and no one to seriously lead the line over the course of a season.

The only person on that list who would definitely have improved Arsenal would have been Lacazette, although they could probably do with a Benteke, Bacca or Jackson Martinez they wouldn't fit the team as well as Giroud and so wouldn't be first choice, which wouldn't please them.

Jovetic is a perma-cripple (and not an out-and-out striker), Mandzukic is past it, Dzeko is a good finisher but a lump, and Fekir isn't a striker. Certainly, there are players Arsenal might have bought (and our mad moment over Martial shouldn't be used as bar for anything) but strikers aren't a teeming field at the moment.

Sounds like a perfect fit for Arsenal. :lol:

Please. He's a decent enough player who has been meh over the last few years and would replace no one in our side. 

Even more meh than Theo?

You seem to be ignoring the fact that we have just one recognised striker at the club. That's simply not good enough for a club with supposed title winning ambitions. 

So it's not necessarily about replacing anyone, more providing a credible striking alternative when Giroud is inevitably run into the ground for the third season running.

Even more meh than Theo?

You seem to be ignoring the fact that we have just one recognised striker at the club. That's simply not good enough for a club with supposed title winning ambitions. 

So it's not necessarily about replacing anyone, more providing a credible striking alternative when Giroud is inevitably run into the ground for the third season running.

I'm not ignoring it, I just don't think they'd play over Walcott. You, as a fan, might say "scrap the guy who was just signed to a new 140k a week contract with stipulations about playing through the middle for a player who has never played with our players or in our system" but there is no chance that Wenger would say such a thing. So while I recognize we only have one recognized striker, I also recognize that Wenger wants to play Walcott through the middle and will play Walcott through the middle thus meaning Chichirito wouldn't play over him which would make him a worthless buy at this point. At this point, I do not expect us to seriously challenge and I don't believe splurging on another player like Walcott or Giroud would have made us more likely to challenge since they wouldn't start ahead of Giroud or Walcott so what's the actual point?

As if Bournemouth's task wasn't tough enough this season, they will be without their two biggest ever signings for the majority of it. Gradel and Mings both injured for at least the first half of the season. Poor bastards.

I'm not ignoring it, I just don't think they'd play over Walcott. You, as a fan, might say "scrap the guy who was just signed to a new 140k a week contract with stipulations about playing through the middle for a player who has never played with our players or in our system" but there is no chance that Wenger would say such a thing. So while I recognize we only have one recognized striker, I also recognize that Wenger wants to play Walcott through the middle and will play Walcott through the middle thus meaning Chichirito wouldn't play over him which would make him a worthless buy at this point. At this point, I do not expect us to seriously challenge and I don't believe splurging on another player like Walcott or Giroud would have made us more likely to challenge since they wouldn't start ahead of Giroud or Walcott so what's the actual point?

I'm not saying scrap Walcott. I'm saying play him where he's supposed to be played, wide on the right. If Wenger really wants to turn him into a striker, he should have begun the process years ago instead of waiting until the guy is 26 years old. We've had him for ten years, ffs.

I don't know any Arsenal fans (and believe me, I know quite a few) who think Theo has what it takes to make it as a striker. That Wenger continues with this delusion is boneheaded beyond belief. Perhaps privately he knows this to be true. but his pride will not let him admit he was wrong. I mean, heralding Theo as the next Thierry Henry. Utter claptrap of the very highest order.

I don't think Wenger actually believes Walcott can play up front properly- if he did, he's had plenty of chances and lots of demand from Theo to do that before now. Hell, if he did he wouldn't have bought Welbeck. I think he's just saying it right now partly to keep Theo happy and partly because he thinks it looks better to the fans than going 'well, we did need a striker, but there wasn't anyone I rated high enough, so have Walcott there instead'.

It makes zero sense to buy him for half a season when Welbeck comes back - we've only just bought him. I just don't think someone like Austin, Gignac etc are worth it at this point. I don't think Austin would make a title winning difference to this team ( and make no mistake, those are the additions we should be looking out for ) 

Gignac would be an utterly pointless buy for Arsenal in particular. He's very like Giroud, but worse, which means there'd only be any reason to play him when Giroud is unavailable. Someone like Austin at least provides a different mode of operation - hell, even Theo does that, even if he doesn't do it all that well.

Archived